Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] -basedir /path/to/game?

Hello, when I try to open Xonotic, I get a message saying something like you have reached this menu due to missing or unlocatable content/data. It says you may want to enter -basedir /path/to/game to your launch command line. How do I fix this problem and what to I do, do I need the quake engine? Thank you.

Which OS do you use?

Windows 8.1? I think

Did you download the game from the official website? How are you starting Xonotic (which file do you execute, do you execute it directly or use a link)?
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

I did download Xonotic from the official website. I start Xonotic by I execute the file "xonotic" in the Xonotic folder I downloaded. Not through link.

Two things come to my mind - did you maybe run Xonotic directly from the ZIP file? I think Windows tends to integrate ZIP files into the Explorer just as if they were ordinary folders (noticeable only by the different icon). If that is the case, you will need to extract the ZIP file to a real folder and run Xonotic from there.

The other thing is that maybe you ran the executable directly instead of the startup script. I know that this is an issue when running Xonotic on Linux, I'm not entirely sure about running it on Windows. Could anyone assist that runs Xonotic on Windows? What file are you guys executing?
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

I just tested to make sure as my assumption was executing while zipped still, and that is exactly the problem. Tongue follow the steps Halogene wrote in order to play the game.

(11-25-2015, 04:39 AM)Halogene Wrote: You will need to extract the ZIP file to a real folder and run Xonotic from there.

Some weeks ago I had the same problem when I ran the SDL executable. WGL version loaded fine, but was choppy as hell. Updating my version through the updater solved the problems I had with the "missing content" with SDL version.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Windows 10 -basedir problem BlazedRasta 4 4,046 03-21-2023, 07:34 PM
Last Post: AlexVelasquez
Exclamation [SOLVED] macOS Sierra: -basedir /path/to/game iqxonotic 12 43,122 12-11-2021, 12:46 PM
Last Post: NappyHead
  [NEEDS INFO] -basedir /path/to/game itsMe 2 4,660 08-17-2016, 09:55 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy