Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] This map is best played with n players

Dev feature: http://dev.xonotic.org/issues/122

Have you ever played on huge maps with a few players because they thought the map picture was cool¹?

How about a brief notice under the map name (i.e. "map best played with <5 players") when voting for maps to allow a more informed choice to be made?

The implementation could be to include this parameter (or better different parameters for every supported gameplay) in the .pk3
This alone isn't much different from what happens now, as I've already seen some maps with a .txt specifying the best numer of players; it's just a matter of formalizing these considerations in a machine-readable way.

Some possible ideas when the numbers are all available:
  • A brief notice "map best played with <5 players" under every map name when choosing the next one to play
  • Same as above, but depending on the number of players on the server the maps too big or too small are marked in red (still votable though).
  • so-and-so idea: the server automagically outputs 50% of the maps to choose specifically in the range, depending on the connected users

The problems arising are:
  • What happens to older maps? I'd say there could be a range for every map loadable both from the map or from a .cfg on the server (the admins should compile it for every old map though)
  • What if there is still one map with no numbers? Well, duh. Dunno. A warning when the server is started and the map shows no notice?

[1] I usually start calling endmatch votes and crying out loud for the impossible gameplay, with nobody voting. It's very annoying, especially when it happens on the only servers I have a good ping on.

Good idea. Add into dev tracker and bug a dev to set it as next target release Tongue
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

This would be cool - later there could be a feature preventing maps from being shown that do not fit the player number.
It's best if it was a range, though (1-5 players, 3-6 players, etc.)
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

Approved.

+1
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

(06-16-2010, 11:00 AM)tankmiche Wrote:
  • so-and-so idea: the server automagically outputs 50% of the maps to choose specifically in the range, depending on the connected users

Doku already has this implemented on his nex servers, some other servers may as well. If there is a way to pair this option with the .mapinfo files and include a player range there that might work.
This is my laser, this is my gun,
This is for plinking, this is for FUN!

BrFJ: wtf with the jumpad
BrFJ: rofl
vael: oh, you'll wtf with the... a few more times don't worry

[Image: badge.png]

This isn't just a good idea - I think it's essential for a good game ;-).
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Added to the bug tracker: http://dev.xonotic.org/issues/122

Voted up.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.
[Image: forum.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [DISCUSSION] Surf maps to attract new players Snowball 9 8,512 02-28-2020, 04:16 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Discussion: Bigscreen, couch players wanted(Splitscreen?) T3chnobone 22 10,884 02-07-2018, 05:11 PM
Last Post: gruuvin
  [SUGGESTION] XonStats weapon graphs regardless of past games played Antares* 1 2,674 12-21-2016, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Antibody
  [SUGGESTION] A way to speak with other players ? Fyley 3 4,674 11-25-2015, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Ch4mp
  [SUGGESTION] Making some setting not changeable ie port/max players end user 6 8,571 10-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Last Post: end user
  [SUGGESTION] Don't display name of invisible players Micha 3 4,625 08-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Last Post: Samual
  [SUGGESTION] Ability to vote map, gametype and mutators after each map Exitium 13 20,338 04-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Last Post: The mysterious Mr. 4m
  [SUGGESTION] Unified icon system to give info about players unfa 18 22,255 11-06-2010, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Rust Heart