Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Models

Aa: Could you please give me numbers in centimeters? The box I am making (see last post) is about: 100x70x60, where 60 is height. Trims should go with the length of approximately 65 - 70 centimeters and width and height of 10
Here is what I mean:

[Image: additional_trim.jpg]
I know I have mentioned that, but cylinders are detachable Big Grin. I have one more idea. However its bloody difficult to model...

Vhy, i vant to make a modell making factory! 2, 3, 4, hell yeah, 100 model per day!

Vhat is the hole radius?
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

hmm... Are you being funny?
Just kidding Wink I was thinking of the textures and I think we should aim at the fuse like dark industrial style but also make it compatible with Warfare and Heavy Metal or Bio Lab kind of maps. I was thinking of worn metal look like a crates from Morphed. I will soon begin texturing, aa.
Edit: I have no idea of the radius of the holes...

Ok. It's time! I am still counting on your help, aa however enough with ideas. Let's get this done. I made a few models and now I will begin texturing them... Here you can see the box and cylinder generators. The cylindrical model could serve as pipe connector of some sort and wound go nicely in the corners. It could be rotated and placed on the wall itself or placed within the empty space inside wall or floor (under the grate as some sort of core or power engine that powers lighting in the map...)

[Image: circular_generator.jpg]

And timelapse video (forgive the typos)

Soon I will begin texturing

What do you want me to do?

This horizontal turbine of yours: Could you change it so it fits the models I have made and possibly make version that is 90 degrees bent it so it fits the corners? Try imagining the pipe going from the cylindrical generator along the wall and then entering the model you created, curving within it and emerging on the other side.

It would be nice if you made this one:
[Image: aa_model.jpg]
I know there are small variations there, just choose the best or combine them together as you please
Thanks in advance for your help, aa!

[Image: 0_e0981_39db4049_XL.png]
[Image: 0_e0982_2590e1af_XL.png]

- I tried getting bits and pieces from here and there. Modified the piping scheme. And i had to make up the backside entirely.

Damn, man. Looking very good (especially from the back side - bottom one)! How high poly is it? I like what you did with the panel in the back. Interesting geometry, although might be a little hard to texture. Have you unwrapped it yet?

Thanks, I tried to live up to your high standard.

Ummm.... 15K... I haven't optimized anything at all, so it will go down. The end could be... around 2K

The grids and other small details will go into textures, so it the biggest concer are the pipes. They take up a lot of tris.

A turret, maybe.... [Image: simpleturret4m.png]
4m038105 - Be the change.

Wow, the generator model looks promising Big Grin

That's the kind of model I could actually use on my maps!

I came from christmas journey with new power and decided to geto to texturing. This is what I made in 3-4 hours.
[Image: generator_texturing.jpg]
Model was fully optimised and I managed to get good effect with 2000 vertices (this is 4000 version you are looking at)
Aa: 15K faces is absolutely too many. Your pipes are way too high poly. You could easily reduce the amount of faces on them by 70% and use smoothinmg groups to get good effect. Darkplaces won't handle high poly meshes. I say: We shall aim for 2000-3000 vertices for model.
I am not sure about the cannon thing.. wouldn't this encourage violence?

Cought-cought... Xonotic is already... Dosnt Xonotic al already contains guns?

Pretty texture. Is it just me or it seems that the diffuse and normal maps don't match?

Yes, I have already made a low poly version of under 2000 polys, Can't get some parts to bake properly, but I will work it out.

Can I please see a your model with with wireframe?

Smile

Eh I must have cropped part of the normal map only, Doesn't matter. Here is how it looks like in edges view:

[Image: wireframe.png]

Yeah, aa. Flawless baking is only in fairy tales...

BTW: Try unwrapping the whole model on one UV set. I was aiming for 1 x 2K texture per each model.
If you have any questions, just ask.

Looking great, Justin!
Do you plan to make that fan on the end of it spin at some stage? Would be a nice effect (at least if the machine is shown in use).

Also, if anyone uses this in a map, be sure to give it a sound from xonotic-maps.pk3/sound/machines, it looks like something that should make machinery noises.
[Image: 230.png]

Which fan? The radial motor mounting?

Looks excellent, can't wait to see some new maps with it. Maybe a "hoover dam" on terra-formed mars map? The thing looks like a generator from a hydro-power plant.

Edit: can you also make a plain texture with the same base color and scratches etc. if someone wants to make an extension with bsp geometry near-by? Similar to the idea with extension pipes and cables you had.

I don't know what am i doing wrong, probably everything, but it persistently refuses to look good.... And those overlapping UV suddenly came out of nowhere....

How did you make your textures?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ok, After some brain torture i was able to get better results. The total triangle count is 2280.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks, Mario. There is already nice fan model in Xonotic and mappers could add this and apply rotation to it. I didn't know you could animate model like this without using netradiant and func_rotating. It took me many hours but I managed to make the texture and optimize the boxy model:

[Image: boxy_generator.jpg]

I was thinking: You could possibly combine two models together:

[Image: two_generators.jpg]

And I created all textures and shaders but It would be better if someone more expirienced did the scripting...

[Image: filse.jpg]

Sorry for poor render. I didn't have time to fully render the model in netradiant but I believe it would look MUCH better then what you see above (3dsmax sucks!)

"How did you make your textures"
Hell if I know, man... all I can think of now is warm tea and bed... I think it involved something called Photoshop and XNormal... When I have my mind cleared (as if it wasn't empty already) I will try to help you. If you have problem with texturing just send me fully unwrapped obj file and rendered UV map (white on black) and I will see what I can do. Congratulations of going below 2500! Good job! Now good luck with unwrapping. (hi hi hi.)

Check this out: Its all texture combined with some light on top:

[Image: combined.jpg]

And its 2048x2048

It actually looks funny when you combine those models. Becomes quite complex. All we need is some pipes now.

[Image: funny.jpg]

I was wondering if this color and style of a textures actually fits the games theme. Let me know guys if you think it does and if not what would make it does? Maybe instead of this scratched grenish surface I could use Exx rusty metal panel? It would look much more worn...

Style wise it seems just fine, there are already textures there is the same gamma, like philipk1 and some other props. It should fit well, I think.

(12-27-2015, 03:29 PM)aa Wrote: Style wise it seems just fine, there are already textures there is the same gamma, like philipk1 and some other props. It should fit well, I think.

Here: I made quick video how easy is texturing nowadays:

Super talented as always Smile
[Image: 38443.png]

func_gamemodel supports LOD and moving parts, it should definitely be used on models like this (the lower quality LOD model wouldn't have the spinning fans and stuff, to save on performance when out of view).
func_model is mostly for level geometry.

How would one go about making a f_gamemodel animated? Would giving it animation in the editor and exporting just work? What file format would be needed? And how long can the animation be?

It supports animated models, so I'd assume the animation can be as long as you like (though shorter is better for file size), and be done from model editor.
The MD3 model format supports simple looping animations, probably best to use it on models like this.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Editing Pick-Up Models NoClue 3 1,187 11-25-2022, 06:17 AM
Last Post: NoClue
  List of Free/GPL Models & Programs AllegedlyDead 7 14,329 10-26-2021, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Dares
  How to import Weapon Models? NoClue 6 3,492 12-23-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Julius
Brick New Shotgun and Uzi models MirceaKitsune 6 4,163 07-17-2020, 01:18 PM
Last Post: _para
  [NEED HELP] NetRadiant Models Not Working 3agle427 7 5,391 06-26-2020, 11:40 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
Rainbow [NEED HELP] Player models. Import to blender, export to xonotic. Snekky 1 3,721 04-19-2020, 09:16 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
  [NEED HELP] Texture problems in MD3 exported models (Quake 3) xLuca91x 9 6,712 03-31-2020, 03:13 PM
Last Post: xLuca91x
  Renamon & Krystal player models MirceaKitsune 37 59,993 12-12-2019, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Mario
  Seeking artist for new character models MarisaG 0 2,301 10-12-2018, 05:25 PM
Last Post: MarisaG
  Request for Models Cortez666 6 7,373 07-14-2016, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Cortez666