Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We are Hated :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zsp1ahGgWE

So many hate comments, but it's worth reading.

Well nothing new there. Most of them are QL players who are just upset that there's other arena FPS with players that aren't using their time populating QL instead.

Xonotic get's all kinds of shit for copying stuff from Quake which is just wrong, because Xonotic/Nexuiz has always been ahead with the features and user friendliness, including the stats tracking system which they recently grabbed from Xonotic as well. They're also upset that QL is no longer free (it never really was) or has no longer linux support, watching how their "perfect game" falls a bit by bit is just lol. I like QL more now because it's more "open source", but their community is still rotten with their hordes of useless people.

Well: 413 upvotes and 27 downvotes at the moment, that's actually pretty good I would say. In any case: it's on par with other (more popular) titles like the mentioned Quake Live and Warsow when it comes to official trailers.

I still like that video by the way. It will sometimes still pop up in my "watch this again" list on YouTube and I gladly do just that.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Quote:I still like that video by the way. It will sometimes still pop up in my "watch this again" list on YouTube and I gladly do just that.

Same here! Good video is good.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

good video sir, I enjoyed that scene that "cover me" Big Grin that was cool.

* Complains about Graphics - Comments of Xonotic Trailer - 2016 *

Its 2016 and people still care about graphics.
Shiggy Diggy.

(01-11-2016, 09:40 PM)SnowblindPariah Wrote: Its 2016 and people still care about graphics.
Shiggy Diggy.
Generations of new fools are born every year.

Xonotic beats the faces off QL and other shooters.

to be honest this is outdated as hell. It's 5 year old, blured and look at this weapon 1:35. Look more like nexuiz than game with i call xonotic. All this (few) haters never play xonotic so ignore them or just make new trailer.

Yup exactly even the weapon textures are pixelated.

Haters gun' hate.

(01-11-2016, 09:40 PM)SnowblindPariah Wrote: Its 2016 and people still care about graphics.
Shiggy Diggy.

The sad fact is games are more about graphics today than gameplay. Kids today think a good game has photorealistic graphics and simplified gameplay instead of reasonably good graphics and gameplay which keeps a player coming back for more.

This is a symptom of an industry catering to 12 year olds who never played games on systems where system limits meant that gameplay had to be fun because they looked too bad to sell just based on graphics alone. Today games are about making people feel good about themselves and not about giving people gameplay that makes them want to play more. In fact, I think the oversimplicifaction of games is done just so "gamers" today will buy the next release of a "series" in two years so companies keep making gobs of money by rehashing the same gameplay and mechanics year after year while slightly changing a mediocre storyline to something slightly different every release instead of doing something actually innovative and fun.

Xonotic, not being a commercial product, doesn't have to make share holder's happy about income and can focus on what really matters and what will keep people coming back time and time again: gameplay. If someone is going to whine about how bad the graphics are obviously only play any game casually (or play on a console, which by it's very nature forces a player to be more casual about their gameplay) since anyone who plays a game seriously tends to turn down graphic settings so they can perform at their very best instead of going "Ooooo, pretty lights!" when they mean to frag someone.

(03-18-2016, 03:13 PM)fool Wrote:
Shiggy Diggy.

The sad fact is games are more about graphics today than gameplay. Kids today think a good game has photorealistic graphics and simplified gameplay instead of reasonably good graphics and gameplay which keeps a player coming back for more.

This is a symptom of an industry catering to 12 year olds who never played games on systems where system limits meant that gameplay had to be fun because they looked too bad to sell just based on graphics alone. Today games are about making people feel good about themselves and not about giving people gameplay that makes them want to play more. In fact, I think the oversimplicifaction of games is done just so "gamers" today will buy the next release of a "series" in two years so companies keep making gobs of money by rehashing the same gameplay and mechanics year after year while slightly changing a mediocre storyline to something slightly different every release instead of doing something actually innovative and fun.

Exactly what happened to the industry, most of the hardcore gamers have gotten choosy about what they buy nowadays and typically flock to indie projects. What's really sad is a lot of long established series (such as StarCraft and Wolfenstein) have fallen victim to this and were given sub par storylines and singleplayer campaigns that practically played themselves or were at least dumbed down in some way. I really don't know what the big deal is about graphics, photo-realism has been achieved many times over already, at least for each major screen resolution people run (driving sections in Outlander on the Sega Genesis had graphical fidelity that put it on par with VHS tapes at the time if played on a television that was typical of the era), the only time fancy graphics should be a focus is if the gameplay mechanics are nailed properly AND the game has some actual art direction made for it.

Shiggy Diggy.
Xonotic, not being a commercial product, doesn't have to make share holder's happy about income and can focus on what really matters and what will keep people coming back time and time again: gameplay. If someone is going to whine about how bad the graphics are obviously only play any game casually (or play on a console, which by it's very nature forces a player to be more casual about their gameplay) since anyone who plays a game seriously tends to turn down graphic settings so they can perform at their very best instead of going "Ooooo, pretty lights!" when they mean to frag someone.

I don't completely tone down the graphics in my games, but if something gets in my way (such as lightshafts and bloom in Tribes Ascend) I'll kill it. Graphics really are only meant to serve one purpose and that purpose is to carry a game's art direction. As long as they do that properly, then they are what I can consider good graphics, especially since I'm still using a CRT and can natively run lower resolutions (from 2048x1536/1152 to as little as 300x200) to hide anything that wasn't mastered in high definition.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

I miss the time when video games weren't movies.

I think online user levels are a funny manifestation of this. Everyone can reach the highest level in just about any game, just by playing a lot.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

They can, but should they? It is going to be a tremendous waste of time.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Strange how the video has better post processing effects and color instead of in game lol.

(03-20-2016, 09:00 PM)Beagle Wrote: Strange how the video has better post processing effects and color instead of in game lol.

lol true, but some things like motion blur and color saturation can be messed with in the actual game and it wouldn't surprise me if someone figured out how to take enb or sweetfx or some other injector to it (in which case it'd probably look almost identical to the trailer minus the stuff shown on Solarium). Hell using the console you can probably achieve motion blur closer to the level of the video, try punching these in:

r_motionblur 0.70000 (DRASTICALLY lower than the slider allows)
r_motionblur_maxblur 2 (This is actually more than double the default, but only reaches that when it should)
r_motionblur_bmin -0.5 (This makes it so there is always a miniscule amount of blur even when sitting still)
r_motionblur_randomize 0 (Actually, I think this cvar got removed, I still have it in my config though)

Oh wait.

Yeah I've heard of sweetfx and enb and gemfx but I don't think there is a template for Xonotic though.... Thanks for telling, and how did you found out the commands for the trailer and yes randomize is still a cvar but bmin is gone. And when I punch em in, it looks like a disaster.

(03-20-2016, 10:54 PM)Beagle Wrote: Yeah I've heard of sweetfx and enb and gemfx but I don't think there is a template for Xonotic though.... Thanks for telling, and how did you found out the commands for the trailer and yes randomize is still a cvar but bmin is gone. And when I punch em in, it looks like a disaster.

I'm not sure the in game motion blur was actually used for the trailer, but I had been messing with them since their introduction in Nexuiz 2.5. There's a ton of cvars you can scroll through in the advanced options, BUT be careful doing so... tweak something wrong and you'll likely have to delete your config file to get the game working again (so make sure you back it up before messing with anything).

btw I found an injector that works with OpenGL, though I've never used it before and it likely only works for Windows. Maybe someone can fool around with it when they get time. http://reshade.me/ Supposedly it works perfectly with GLQuake, so it may work with DarkPlaces.

Oh wait.

Heard of it too mhm, there is no preset for Darkplaces.

Shiggy Diggy.

When I was 12, I was emulating NES games, and playing FTL, Jamestown, Minecraft, and sometimes Nexuiz. While most 12 year olds weren't running linux, they WERE playing Minecraft, which has the graphics of a PS1 game, but very engaging gameplay. They were also playing Flash games like Run 2, and Roblox. So no, the industry isn't catering to 12 year olds. It's catering to what it thinks 12 year olds want. A small distinction, to be sure, but an important one.

Xonotic is developed by the people and for the people.
That's at least a positive Smile
But of course none of the QL fanboys can respect that.

The graphics arguments are just insane. I mean old graphics in a new game should not stop you from playing it - the gameplay is what matters
video games are not visual arts