Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Map Remake Coordination

Most of the old default (Nexuiz) maps require a makeover to be included with Xonotic, but I don't really know who is working on what. So I thought it would be a good idea to have a central place where mappers announce and discuss their map remaking plans, in order to avoid redundant work.

I myself started to remake soylent. I really like the layout of this map, and it's one of the most played maps in Minsta.
A screenshot of my WIP:
[Image: 3fab8msy1acqm25pxtwf_thumb.png]

For maps you can refer to this page (you'll have to scroll down a bit) http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/wiki/Plan

Also, nice start with the model. There's one suggestion I'd make though. Soylent has this distinct style where there's not much high-tech stuff, but more of monumental architectural shapes. This alone makes it visually unique compared to other maps which have a lot of sci-fi tech stuff and feel to them. Perhaps it would be useful to develop and build upon the current style rather than making it more similar to other sci-fi maps? Strong visual character always brings extra points Smile

(03-23-2010, 05:33 AM)Lamoot Wrote: For maps you can refer to this page (you'll have to scroll down a bit) http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/wiki/Plan

Also, nice start with the model. There's one suggestion I'd make though. Soylent has this distinct style where there's not much high-tech stuff, but more of monumental architectural shapes. This alone makes it visually unique compared to other maps which have a lot of sci-fi tech stuff and feel to them. Perhaps it would be useful to develop and build upon the current style rather than making it more similar to other sci-fi maps? Strong visual character always brings extra points Smile

True that. If any changes are made to Soylent, they should be very subtle and not destroy the current look and feel it has going for it.

(03-23-2010, 05:33 AM)Lamoot Wrote: Perhaps it would be useful to develop and build upon the current style rather than making it more similar to other sci-fi maps? Strong visual character always brings extra points Smile

Have I ever made a map "like all the other ones"? Tongue
Basically, with "subtle" changes it probably wouldn't make it into Xonotic, since there's not too much detail now. I'm not trying to replace the original map, just to make a version that has a coherent theme, interesting details (including moving parts and effects), and some kind of background story. Think: Xoylent

I think my downer remake could be usefull

sev... coordinate that with mand1nga. We're actually using http://dev.xonotic.org to track map projects. Also talk with FruitieX. He's working on a couple other map makeovers.

and, of course, go to #xonotic.editing for discussion

Also, since you're remaking Soylent, you might want to coordinate with MaKR who did Soylent_CTF.

(03-23-2010, 05:18 AM)sev Wrote: I myself started to remake soylent.
Excellent. Smile Would be a real shame to see soylent pass without upping its quality as well, can't wait for results! Smile One of my favorite maps as well.

So... As for "talking with me", all I have to say is that I'm currently working on Space Elevator (Gasolinepowered remake), Dance and later a retexture of stormkeep2 (does not fit scifi theme all that well). I am also considering doing this on aggressor, as some textures (the brick and wooden textures spring into mind) don't really fit there either.

If anyone has any good ideas for the above mentioned maps, just contact me and you can have either me implement it or you taking that whole map project over at least for a while (I'm quite busy right now anyway).

Oh and regarding that map list on the dev tracker, it's definitely not final. That was just some quick irc-brainstorming slapped together to a list afaik. IMO we should start out small, with maybe 10-15 community favorite maps in the initial release, and value quality over quantity. More maps can be added later on as they get finished, as pk3s on servers and then the best ones included in the next release.
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

Guys I've just created a wiki page so we start discussing/brainstorming about this.

Please anyone involved or wanting to be involved in this project register at http://dev.xonotic.org and write your ideas/concepts on the wiki.

After having better defined roadmap we can break these goals into tasks and load them on the tracker as well.

I dont get just 3 texture sets and then avoid duplicating textures.

What will happen to the current maps?

sev: contact me on irc sometime, there is an updated soylent_ctf, a need to update it more as well for inclusion in Xonotic, and I was working on a soylent_ctf_reloaded which had a whole different approach to the middle. The question on soylent is do the brushes need to be redone or should we stick with a different texture? Also check out the difference between silvercity and silvercity_reloaded. There was a niche for both in Nexuiz, but silvercity made it into Xonotic's plans while the original didn't.I like what you've done with the arch here, but it's impossible to texture it wood, and I think I'd miss the wood..... Although I wonder what it would look like in all dark metal? Long story short is soylent_ctf and soylent_ctf_reloaded are on hold for probably the next 2 months while I finish school, then I'm going back to finish up the maps. If you're redesigning the original soylent for inclusion in Xonotic's release I'd like to keep both soylent_ctf versions in line with the design of the original soylent.
[+] MaKR [smooth+o]

(03-23-2010, 04:08 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: I dont get just 3 texture sets and then avoid duplicating textures.

What will happen to the current maps?

We should try to achieve diversity with the elements we have, of course we can't do magic here. Probably we should be more focused on getting and building more textures. In other words we shouldn't have maps with same *predominant* textures.

Ah, I never saw this thread. :/
nomnomnomnonmonm:
"the best trolls are indistinguishable from idiots"

Im remaking trust ("trust_reloaded") Tongue
Still fixing remaining textures...

About that "keep the soylent look, while improving the visuals"-discussion: I believe sev and Rad Ished will do a great job on remaking the map using their own styles (which i like very much). I for myself of course would try to stay as close to the original design as possible, but that would involve creating nearly all textures new and building nice prefabs in a 3D tool from scratch. And i admit: I don't want to do that Wink ...and i have no time atm anyways :/...

I intended to stay close to the original, but wood, bricks and stone? This simply isn't the way to go for a coherent official xonotic map collection. However, I'm not doing this halfheartedly, so wait and see Tongue

I started this thread in the exciting time after the fork, it should not be used anymore (see post #6) and let to rest in peace now...

I agree. I especially like the unique visual styles you create, so don't take my previous post as criticism. I for myself even did not create the style of the original soylent, but instead used the style created by HReaper for the original Nexuiz dm14 (it was called "Step by step"), reworked it a bit and built a new layout because we wanted to have a replacement for dm14. This then turned out to be soylent (introduced with nexuiz 1.5).
Now applaud for the little history update Wink (and sorry for offtopic...)

nexdm14:
[Image: krawallbrand_nex_12.jpg]
[Image: krawallbrand_nex_7.jpg]

:o
nomnomnomnonmonm:
"the best trolls are indistinguishable from idiots"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [MAP] The Highest Ground (The Longest Yard remake) AriosJentu 10 6,225 06-06-2023, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Le Deux
  [MAP] Bloody Run (remake for Blood Run) AriosJentu 35 13,100 01-03-2023, 01:09 PM
Last Post: AriosJentu
  [DM/CTF] Sirlent (Soylent remake) (added CTF version) _para 7 1,657 01-01-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: _para
  [MAP] Holyspace (evilspace remake) _para 0 1,000 05-12-2022, 03:46 PM
  [MAP] Derelict (farewell remake) _para 0 1,418 05-12-2022, 03:41 PM
  Revolter: Rebel: Revrem long remake(extended) by KotangŃ”ns Kotangens 2 2,615 12-31-2021, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [DM] revrem (revdm3 remake) _para 10 4,275 10-13-2020, 04:21 AM
  [CTF] Aviation (Evilspacectf remake) kuniu the frogg 15 16,848 06-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Last Post: noteven
  [DM/CTF/KH...] GreatDivide-X (remake) forseti 2 4,589 02-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Last Post: rocknroll237
  Trust_reloaded (a trust remake, CTF) Debugger 4 5,698 01-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Debugger