Create an account

Poll: Do we want this map in official Xonotic releases?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
86.67%
13 86.67%
No
6.67%
1 6.67%
No opinion
6.67%
1 6.67%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Red Planet v1r1

really great work seeing the screenshots, I am aiming for q4/doom3 quality.

2 things I knoticed are:

- most ex textures really need to be scaled to 0.25 in order to look good. From what I can see most ex textures you have used would benifit greatly from this.
- as far as detail most stair rails need to be smaller to acomedate the player models. Also making them seemless with out a kink(thumbnail) and yellow prehaps would look even better Smile

well done!! detail ftw!

[Image: u3rf6fyhvkuechlsl786_thumb.jpg]
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

yes indeed, very nice Smile congrats

Waiting for ctf version too Big Grin

btw: you should probably playerclip the top of the doors so you cant stand on that rail thing, you occasionally seem to end up there due to stepheight

btw2: i would still wish that the doors would open up just slightly earlier, and not be open-able with projectiles...
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

Iirc I started the map about a month ago. Overall, around one week and a half of work in total, I think.

I may resize some of the ex textures. But given how much detail there is it would be a nightmare to select all of them Tongue I can't resize the bars either, since that would also be very difficult now (due to the bent / circle bars). I'll keep those suggestions in mind though.

Beta 3 now out Big Grin See the end of the first post again, for links screenshot and change log. Contains a new surprise feature, if I may call it that Smile

And just for the info. The map is also located on a branch in xonotic-maps.pk3dir. Look for mirceakitsune/red_planet if you wish to use that instead.

After seeing the screenshots, I think this map is just so f****** awesome I can't find the correct words to exclaim it! ;-)
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

a small texture-mistake, it's below the new screen:

[Image: xonotic0000407rgb.jpg]

additionally you can stand on the bottom of the screen Smile

edit: another one:

[Image: xonotic000043c422.jpg]

dynamic lights can "lighten" the light of the lamp (lol). btw i don't like these kind of lamps too, afaik this is only done in old games to improve performance...

Yeah, at certain angles one side of the light disappears, too.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

(06-22-2010, 02:55 AM)jaykay Wrote: dynamic lights can "lighten" the light of the lamp (lol). btw i don't like these kind of lamps too, afaik this is only done in old games to improve performance...

I actually like the way it looks, and dyn lights are a huge performance hog, especially with shadows enabled. Besides, they're mostly used to emit light on surfaces, not to be looked at (which I'm sure will look weird on those lamps)

The lamp gradient texture is full bright. They only look brighter because I also placed a corona on the dlights, since I think that looks prettier Tongue

Released a beta 4, mainly for fixing the camera angles which were flipped to the proper position in the engine. See the first post again.

Nice work. The whole thing is very clean and well thought out. There is a lot of detail and it is visually very pleasing. My FPS is quite good on high settings and I don't see a problem playing this map online.
I feel like we really need to push the boundaries visually with these xonotic maps and make them something special and unique even if it means a hit to performance. You are obviously very disciplined in your work and it shows.

Really nice stuff. Smile

MintOX
[Image: di-712770583645.png]

I am duly impressed.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

really nice. Although the plainness of some rails still bother me (esp the ladder in the outer area and the rail that covers it). I added some references from MW2 of rail detail which I'm aiming for.

[Image: kjm1zfyfrnw5gpu201l_thumb.jpg]
[Image: buvo7y82nqc79f997oy_thumb.jpg]
[Image: owvyhx8fsjtkkti2ol8k_thumb.jpg]

Not quite there yet with condenser but detail is going well. Smile
[Image: uomaw1wur9z5by3484a_thumb.jpg]

I'd be happy to do it for you but I can't get the git on windows working Sad

Edit: got the git working thanks to DiabloK Smile. I still think most textures need to be scaled down. I would love to do the tedious work for you once I have completed my beta.
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

Smile 
With permission from MirceaKitsune to take detail of this level into my own hands, I have achieved the following.
It was agreed that I give the level back so it to be reviewed before a release. But I figure why not everyone test it so we can get feedback asap. MirceaKitsune will now take back control over the level, and hopefully make his great design even better. Smile

I have completed the following:

-most textures scaled down from 0.5 to 0.25
-electrical system detail
-hand rail detail
-addition of fans and ducting system
-additional ladders
-minor repositioning of teleporter
-minor repositioning and removal of weapons
-clip brushes to prevent various sticking points
-higher doors to prevent sticking
-darkened the lighting
-added and removed various dynamic lights
-many other tweaks

Whats left to do:

-add spark effects to open wires
-add alpha channel support to dynamic lights if possible
-perhaps better tv screens
-more clips brushes?
-more detail?

Please note, the level glowarena may needs to be downloaded for the turrbineblade.ase model.
Please make sure you test with dynamics lights and shadows on for some nice graphics.
Download: http://omploader.org/vNTloeQ

[Image: aaihuzg7x5alrf2tek_thumb.jpg][Image: r67nfwprd01hjugkv7s_thumb.jpg][Image: sz340xfswi1ko0dnch5a_thumb.jpg][Image: f5epjb9xwp5xsynel8dc_thumb.jpg][Image: cxh5pgqf0asc00m2ffg9_thumb.jpg][Image: 1y9xlx7c76cmzhe0902q_thumb.jpg][Image: y9k6c5i7uxmayv778x5_thumb.jpg][Image: wmm5a2cmjac2yumzoxu_thumb.jpg][Image: qfe5akjjdmup2a224hz7_thumb.jpg][Image: n567xx0htvouyabxw92_thumb.jpg][Image: m3v7zlrsbtmv5ejgrqac_thumb.jpg][Image: 3ur55jkx1m9ymnftl_thumb.jpg]

That is awesome Cuinnton! Big Grin Thank you for this update... looks amazing compared to the beta4 Smile

wow.... no need to say more Smile it is really cool how a free game gets such high-quality content... and nexuiz never had something like this Smile

i want to help making the map even more perfect, so here are my usual nitpicks. please remember that i really LOVE this map. these nitpicks are not "ahaha this is wrong" but "you can make it even better there". comments are in the pictures.

[Image: xonotic000024apx5.jpg] [Image: xonotic0000254qr1.jpg] [Image: xonotic000026crew.jpg] [Image: xonotic0000316rx2.jpg] [Image: xonotic000032asy7.jpg] [Image: xonotic000033ho3d.jpg] [Image: xonotic000034rsbw.jpg] [Image: xonotic000035zr9q.jpg] [Image: xonotic000000fs6j.jpg] [Image: xonotic000001r9cc.jpg]

i also dont like how the fans look. the air flow does not make much sense (see picture 2), and they are turning is the wrong direction Big Grin the light of the fans (you know what i mean) is too big imo.

the rails are yellow....... come on! yellow! make them pink, but not yellow! Big Grin (maybe gray again? but that could be a bit boring)

the flickering lights are.... well, the idea is good, but the flickering is not... natural. they are basically on...off...on...off... but i would expect lights of electrical failures to do short, strong flashes (with some sparks maybe?) another "problem" is, that there is no directly visible light source, which is a bit weird. short flashes would solve this too.
to explain the electrical flashes better, i would add a electrical wire to the hoses. this electrical wire could be broken in some places and produce the flashes.

the particles still have awful performance.

you could make all metal surfaces even more shiny. more = better Big Grin

edit (23.8.) [Image: dm-312825624305.png] low res texture.

yellow rails are the most common, they should stay yellow: http://www.google.com.au/images?um=1&hl=...80&bih=899

as for textures out of alignment turn on Relief mapping to resolve this.

yes flickering lights would be much better with spark effects. r_editlights_edit style 1-11 edits what sort of style the light will be so there are plenty to choose from.

As for the fan area I agree, its needs some tweaking, making a smaller shadow ect
I was going for the hot air raising effect, although yes the fan is going the wrong way Tongue That area is suppose to be the hardware which controls the air lock. Which is better observed if you spectate through that area

Cuinnton, Mircea, can we do something about the incessant door sounds in this level? They need to be lower so as to make them less distracting to the player. As it is all you hear is VRRRRT VRRRRT when you are inside.

@JayKay - great post! I'll try to use a similar format when reviewing maps.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

There is a glitch, see the light which my weapon is pointing to:

[Image: xonotic000008.th.jpg]

[Image: xonotic000011.th.jpg]

[Image: xonotic000017.th.jpg]

the light is not "constant", keeps changing in a buggy way.

hmm can't seem to achieve the same effect XV22? could it be a gpu issue? im running win7 9800gt

yeah, I have just tested it on GeForce 9500 GT, and it's working fine.
That glitch was on my ATI 5470, maybe ATI OpenGL drivers has something wrong, I heard about its issues on the web.

Posting a v1r1 update. Red Planet no longer in Beta Big Grin This is only a repack of Cuinnton's beta 5 however! It was missing the correct map file and .mapinfo updates. Will also be updating on the branch in a few minutes.

Link 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?1xbpahj8mgg1s6g
Link 2: http://upload.ps/60f7qkgmpcwv/red_planet_v1r1.pk3.htm
Link 3: http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/10/1...t_v1r1.pk3

Do we want this map in the game? I bet we do. Created a poll on this.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

I love the smoke/dust (particles ftw) <3
Yay! we want it!
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick [Mario] Super Xonotic Bros. 1 - v1r1 -z- 7 9,633 04-14-2017, 02:33 PM
Last Post: -z-
  [DM]Red Xonotic version Cortez666 11 11,954 07-14-2011, 09:20 PM