Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utilize alternative soundpacks

A fellow player recently approached me with the question if you could actually use different sounds for weapons and items and if there was any sound pack you could download. I myself don't really know neither care, but since he doesn't speak English that well I decided to offer my help in asking this here. I know from fragvideos that some people use Quake sounds (or wherever those sounds come from), so someone will probably be able to answer that.

The question is: where to get such sounds? And: how to make Xonotic use them? I figure you'd have to replace the original sounds in data.pk3, but I'm not entirely sure. Is there any easy way to do it?
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

On my shotgun server I used NBA Jam annoucer. for sprees I needed the SMB Modpack to do it and create a server package for the sounds.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

(02-01-2016, 04:48 PM)Halogene Wrote: I figure you'd have to replace the original sounds in data.pk3, but I'm not entirely sure. Is there any easy way to do it?
Well that pretty much, except don't touch the data.pk3 never ever, just copy the sound branch and then put it into another .pk3, replace all the sounds with your mod sounds (without changing file/folder names/structure) and then put that .pk3 into config folder. You basically replicate the structure of the data.pk3 and only include the folders/files that you want modded in it.

I use quake sounds mix other sounds can't stand Xonotic sounds.

For Linux all I know to install custom sound packs (pk3) go to ~/.xonotic/data or ~/xonotic/data depends for where you store your config at.

If all you have to do is to place a pk3 into your config folder, can anyone share such a pk3 (provided, this does not violate applicable licenses or infringes third party IP rights of course)?
My Xonstats Profile

How about a mortar trail effect purple nex beam and red minsta beam?

What does this have to do with sound?
My Xonstats Profile

(02-02-2016, 01:02 AM)Halogene Wrote: If all you have to do is to place a pk3 into your config folder, can anyone share such a pk3 (provided, this does not violate applicable licenses or infringes third party IP rights of course)?
There are many instances where this does actually violate some licenses, but it's impossible to control and monitor. In reality, nobody cares as long as you're not profiting from it and especially if credits are distributed fairly.

You're all good from legal point of view though if you make your sounds yourself. For reference here's the only sound mod I've ever made: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=4411

I basically have a sound folder with sounds from other games (I think ZeRoQL has about the same) that I just put in xonotic/data. You don't neccessarily need to make a .pk3 for this to work. I can pack the sounds I replace into a .pk3 though if that's what you wish, as soon as I home today.
[Image: 9214.png]

.pk3s are convenient if you want to quickly change sound(or any) packs, for example if you swap between a sound pack that you normally play with and a sound pack you want to be in a video/movie that you're working on.

Yeah I guess, so Halogene can actually just use that .pk3 with the sound folder as long as he places it in xonotic/data right? What must the .pk3 be called then? Kinda a newb with this stuff.

Something like zzzz-mypack.pk3 would work (zzzz makes sure no server or default packages can override it).
[Image: 230.png]

Sometimes if you type the name wrong sometimes it won't work.

ZeRoQL actually gave me his sound pack,
here is the link (I guess I can post it here)

It has some Quake crosshairs, his font pack, and the sound pack. Just drag and drop whichever one you want to use into your Xonotic data directory.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alternative weapon models kojn^ 25 19,875 03-13-2016, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  Alternative Sounds + Effect info kojn^ 3 5,796 02-01-2014, 05:48 AM
Last Post: -maniac|Su-