Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DM] Technical Damnation - needs optimization

Welcome!

As for my first post here on the forums I'm posting my first map ever made with Radiant.

This map went through 3 games: First, I made it for Doom then I remade it from scratch for Q3 (since they're not cross-compatible) then ported it over to Xonotic.
I made it for learning purposes. It's not quite easy to get into true 3D design especially after Doom.
There will be more to come after I finish optimizing this map since it's performance is quite poor, and I'm not good at optimization yet so I'd appreciate any advices on how to do it properly.
Another problem: the water pool in the open area is not done properly. It consists of two brushes, and where they connect, the face of their sides also gets rendered and I don't know how to fix it as I tried lots of solutions: caulk, nodraw, etc. In Q3 it worked with caulk but I know it's a different engine.

Enough of talking, let's see the screenshots, shall we?

[Image: xonotic_2016_02_18_12_53_56_65.png]
[Image: xonotic_2016_02_18_12_54_15_58.png]
[Image: xonotic_2016_02_18_12_54_24_81.png]
[Image: xonotic_2016_02_18_12_54_38_42.png]
[Image: xonotic_2016_02_18_12_54_45_67.png]
[Image: xonotic_2016_02_18_12_54_57_21.png]

Download (v2)

Thanks in advance.

The screenshots look very interesting and colourful Big Grin

If you create a water/lava pool consisting of different brushes, then using caulk for all sides (except top) should work fine. Another option might be using "nodraw nonsolid".

You need to add a .mapinfo file and obey the requried file/folder structure. You can check http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/ for correctly packed pk3 files. Smile

Happy mapping!

I see a potential TDM map! Big Grin

Might have a bit too many 50hps though.

Looks very fancy, nice work!

There are shaders in the common folder for slimenodraw and lavanodraw, they're useful for the sides of such brushes.
[Image: 230.png]

Thanks to all of you!

(02-18-2016, 12:56 PM)Smilecythe Wrote: I see a potential TDM map! Big Grin

Might have a bit too many 50hps though.

I balanced it a little bit, removed most of the 50hps and put the remaining ones in more appropriate places.

(02-18-2016, 07:50 AM)ItsMe Wrote: The screenshots look very interesting and colourful Big Grin

If you create a water/lava pool consisting of different brushes, then using caulk for all sides (except top) should work fine. Another option might be using "nodraw nonsolid".

You need to add a .mapinfo file and obey the requried file/folder structure. You can check http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/ for correctly packed pk3 files. Smile

Happy mapping!

(02-18-2016, 09:21 PM)Mario Wrote: Looks very fancy, nice work!

There are shaders in the common folder for slimenodraw and lavanodraw, they're useful for the sides of such brushes.

The waternodraw worked actually but only when I applied it to all faces except the top. At first I only applied it for the face which connects. Thanks!

I achieved a little optimization for it but it can't be determined if I only test it on my pc.

I also packed it in a pk3 properly. I knew actually how to do it but I didn't want to until I finished it.
Updated.

SUPER nice finally we have a Doom/Quake mapper now Smile

(02-19-2016, 04:36 AM)Smilecythe Wrote: Only bug I could find: http://i.imgur.com/iU8dspT.png

Woops, thank you for the spotting.

Fixed and updated.

Nice looking map. Hope we can give it a run soon.
[Image: 38443.png]

I'll do a video walkthrough as soon as I can. Thanks for the map, FractalXX!
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

@FractalXX: Nice map, especially for your first Wink
The details rival even my best map(I think), but your map looks a but colorful for DeathMatch Wink
I do DooM mapping, too Big Grin

nice little map =)

well done - thankies for your affort.

Maps playable on Prophets Server (Duel/DM).

GreetZ Su

Thanks to all of you!

(02-19-2016, 11:27 AM)kaadmy Wrote: @FractalXX: Nice map, especially for your first Wink
The details rival even my best map(I think), but your map looks a but colorful for DeathMatch Wink
I do DooM mapping, too Big Grin

Take care for Doom. Smile

Looks great!

It can be a nice map for FFA, Clan Arena or 2v2TDM Smile

Your PK3 is fine, you could just add a radar minimap (/gfx/fx-techdamn_mini.tga).

(02-20-2016, 05:20 AM)SpiKe! Wrote: Looks great!

It can be a nice map for FFA, Clan Arena or 2v2TDM Smile

Your PK3 is fine, you could just add a radar minimap (/gfx/fx-techdamn_mini.tga).

Will do it once I get to my PC. Smile

(02-21-2016, 05:58 AM)Smilecythe Wrote: Some tricks and stuff Big Grin

Creative usage of geometry, I must say. Big Grin
I guess I should clip those windows at the outside, and fix the clipping at where the neon lights are. When I clipped the top of the map, the end of the clip brush got hung in there.
I also have an idea so you won't get stuck behind the teleport. Smile

You need to add some suffix to the pk3- and filenames (r1, r2 / v1, v2 whatever) if you make changes to your map. Otherwise people with an old version will have trouble, because they won't download the new versions since they have the same name.

(02-22-2016, 12:10 AM)Mirio Wrote: You need to add some suffix to the pk3- and filenames (r1, r2 / v1, v2 whatever) if you make changes to your map. Otherwise people with an old version will have trouble, because they won't download the new versions since they have the same name.

Then it's v2 as from now:

- Clipped the windows at the outside
- Removed an unnecessary clip
- Filled the gap behind the teleport
- Added minimap.

Are you still working on this? I'm hosting your v2 on bfg pickup server.

I've been quite busy by work so I couldn't do any improvements recently.
If you point out anything that needs to be improved feel free to share.

Optimization is a little more complicated though. When I first built this for Q3 long ago, I didn't have any experience on brushwork so this should be rebuilt from scratch to run better which is kind of hard. Undecided

Is there a way to download this map without being forced to make an account at sendspace?

Is this map still available for download somewhere?

If you join Kansas SMB public I believe you can download it from there
[Image: 38443.png]

(01-29-2017, 11:20 AM)Mario Wrote: http://dl.xonotic.co/fx-techdamn.pk3

Sorry for the late reply.
I've just downloaded the file.Thanks a lot!
Going to play it this evening with a friend of mine.