Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unofficial Xonotic map repository (xonotic.co)

Hey guys, just wanted to make a note I've started work on the second iteration of the xonotic-map-repository which addresses the long anticipated need for a database back-end and a REST API.

Currently, I'm aiming for backwards compatibility with the current maps.json schema (which I have achieved), single map view (as pictured below). There will be MAJOR performance benefits to this. No longer we will be tied to a 15MB+ JSON file. The down-side is I have to rewrite all the filtering logic server-side.

[Image: x6R9igf.png]

The new repo is broken into two separate projects a back-end and front-end:

https://github.com/z/xonotic-map-repository-api/

https://github.com/z/xonotic-map-repository-web/

Hi -z-!

t

You still here! I.should fire up my laptop!

WHERES ANTIBODY? GET HIM ON FACEBOOK

t:^@=
[Image: 227.png]

Could it be possible to somehow merge/group duplicate maps? There are several maps which have multiple versions and it's cumbersome to pick the newest/best one.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(10-13-2016, 06:58 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote: Could it be possible to somehow merge/group duplicate maps? There are several maps which have multiple versions and it's cumbersome to pick the newest/best one.

I believe that's why -z- marks dates of the files.

Avoiding duplicates is quite difficult. Different game admins do different things to their maps for their specific server needs, and thus creating more versions. And we can't delete old versions since some other servers may still depend on those files.

I propose having some pk3 naming guidelines so at least we don't have name collision.

I'm not advocating deleting the older ones, just somehow show all the versions as a grouped more or less single item (with links to all the versions inside). It's hard to find how to actually define which maps are the same, maybe digging into pk3 and comparing a hash of the bsp file, cause changing textures or gamemode info should keep the actual bsp the same, right? I think not many people would go as far as to recompile the map.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(10-14-2016, 04:57 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote: I'm not advocating deleting the older ones, just somehow show all the versions as a grouped more or less single item (with links to all the versions inside). It's hard to find how to actually define which maps are the same, maybe digging into pk3 and comparing a hash of the bsp file, cause changing textures or gamemode info should keep the actual bsp the same, right? I think not many people would go as far as to recompile the map.

This is actually a very good idea:comparing the hash of only the bsp, rather than the whole pk3. It should help reveal a lot of duplication. I, for one, would love this to be a feature on xonotic.co:

Perhaps there can be a column that shows how many other pk3 files have the same bsp, and we can click on that field to reveal all other pk3 files?

On the other hand, other than revealing the duplication, can this realistically eliminate the problem? If a server has a a.pk3 with a.bsp, and I have b.pk3 with a.bsp, I certainly still need to download a.pk3. If I run a server, I definitely need the pk3 to have the game settings.

Thoughts?

With the database backend, we'll have a lot more opportunities to categorize or otherwise relate the data. I won't spoil any planned features but I will tell you that I do agree there is data-overload with too many "versions" of maps.

Once the database backend goes live in production, I'll update this post and we can start talking about how we can take advantage of the features to curate maps.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

(10-12-2016, 08:18 AM)chooksta Wrote: Hi -z-!

t

You still here! I.should fire up my laptop!

WHERES ANTIBODY? GET HIM ON FACEBOOK

t:^@=

CHOOKY!!!! I MISS U!!! COME PLAY XONOTIC!! K BYE

I'm still here, chook!
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

Is the site down?

(11-19-2019, 11:33 AM)snazz Wrote: Is the site down?

http://xonotic.fps.gratis/

(11-20-2019, 08:31 AM)Mirio Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 11:33 AM)snazz Wrote: Is the site down?

http://xonotic.fps.gratis/

Much appreciated Smile

Great work -Z- . i was looking for a map repo ! I may be porting some old maps or rebuilding some in the near future
I have no signature . That is all .

It's worth noting that NaitLee wrote a UI for this, and it doesn't involve downloading the whole json. See
https://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=9480

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink My frontend for the Unofficial Xonotic map repository NaitLee 5 2,155 02-02-2023, 11:39 AM
Last Post: NaitLee