Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
water world

I think that xonotic need some original maps, (not much space base) also some distant planets. This concept map is based on a world that is occupied by 95% water. only some small islands. the map will inland areas (tunnels etc. ..) and outdoor areas as shown here.
aesthetics reminds the Romans (details, fabrics, etc. ..) with futuristic touch.

http://img84.imageshack.us/f/co0ncept1.jpg/

http://img641.imageshack.us/i/co0ncept2.jpg/

http://img80.imageshack.us/i/co0ncept3.jpg/

hope you like and feel free to create. Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

haha nice i watched water world for the first time the other day.

perhaps if farewell is revised it will be close to this theme
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

Oh, nice if someone would do that Big Grin

Some "dreamscape-maps" would be very cool for the xonotic release... giving a touch of distant planets Smile

Damn, it's getting professional up in here. We got mad genius coders, an awesome concept artist (who has also submitted a model on top of it), awesome electronic music artists, modellers, and a bunch of mappers too. All of them pretty top notch. I think Xonotic will be the ego shooter that knocks the original Unreal Tournament off it's throne as best arena FPS of all time. I am witnessing some amazing things on this forum.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

I think it's time to wipe the dust off of Blender and get to work again, thanks for some awesome concepts and ideas! Definitely inspiring Wink
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

I thought about a map like that... and started to work on it today Wink
[Image: cavematch19ol9.png]
[Image: unbenannt123zp5r.png]
I wanted to combine that cave (posted by dokujisan in "Inspiration for maps") with this island; especially picture 1 by ugluck.

The island should be alone in the sea, surrounded with fog. In the inner side of the island should be the cave displayed over there. I can imagine a dm/tdm/ca/freezetag/lms map.^^ Would it be better here to use blender?

Thoughts, suggestions, tips, help, anything else? Smile

I would theme it like a pirate's treasure horde, maybe like the treasure island map. Lava and water is great but don't go overboard on the lava.

Also I would like to see more domination maps.

Debugger, do not use blender, use netradiant, blender is best for terrain, small details/objects.
In order for the game to work well, you have to use radiant.
But that's okay because netradiant is awesome, incredibly stable compared with how it used to be, and very very fast once you have learned it.
I recommend for this map that you don't worry too much about details and textures yet, set a largish gridszie like ...16 or so, and block out the shape of the map.
Sometimes a pencil drawing first of topdown layout can save loads of time later, once again, not detailed just basic layout.
It's all the details that take a lot of time, but it's wasted time if end up not needing them or changing them a million times.
Once you have blocked it out whack a plain texture over the whole thing and: PLAY IT!!
Do a test compile and run around that sucker, I like to have a piece of paper handy to make notes of stuff to and crazy ideas for jump pads, death lasers, warpzones etc.... a snakepit!! :o
Then I pretty much rinse and repeat till I'm happy that I can't fit in any more mad architecture and stupid stuff, hopefully your approach will be different to this Big Grin
It's important to get the layout sorted first.
Rly.
And not in Blender, no.
Trust me on this, I have wasted a lot of time with this idea and so have many others, MAPPING IN BLENDER IS NOT A GOOD IDEA.
Hey this coffee works!
Cya :p
nomnomnomnonmonm:
"the best trolls are indistinguishable from idiots"

(01-03-2011, 05:17 AM)Rad Ished Wrote: Debugger, do not use blender, use netradiant, blender is best for terrain, small details/objects.
In order for the game to work well, you have to use radiant.
But that's okay because netradiant is awesome, incredibly stable compared with how it used to be, and very very fast once you have learned it.

i guess he wants to use it for the cave.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

I think the cave is the easier part of these Big Grin

I didnt want to have a big cave, I'll keep it small... the thing I thought about was to use Blender for the Island itself^^
But ok, as soon as I have a little more free time I'll go on with the island itself.

I wish patches worked better, as they are awesome to use once you get the hang of it. Sad

oh well.

one thing you CAN do is try and get an alpha blend on the edges of the terrain, so they blend into the skybox. so far, I have found that if you want a good looking map (thats not a floating platform) you should devote some of the map to creating a location for the map to BE. (that the player cannot go into. this is vital to create the illusion of place. if the player can see where the map ends, it shatters the illusion.

oh, and yeah, I would use blender for the terrain and other "organic" parts of the map. you could do it with patches, but the performance is not so good.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Swimmable Water whitewolfw2 8 8,401 01-15-2011, 07:55 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL