Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Weapon Balance and Presentation 2016

(07-13-2016, 07:42 AM)martin-t Wrote: Please, keep a way to switch back to the previous weapon from laser. It's essential that Xonotic is playable without spending half an hour "fixing" the config.
Fixing the config is almost essential due to the number of weapons Xonotic has and it's an inevitable necessity no matter where the default binds are. So you might as well bind them to keys that are the most comfortable to you. If you don't do that then you're just shooting yourself on the feet. Laser switch is an inconsistent feature and it doesn't help you out with other weapons. Depending on that feature is what keeps you from being able to compete, because you're not digging deep enough into the mechanics in first place.

(07-13-2016, 07:42 AM)martin-t Wrote: New players aren't new forever because they find a game that is playable with default config. Not being able to compete even on public servers is the reason I couldn't enjoy vanilla at first.
But you're enjoying the game now right? Xonotic is a game where you have to be somewhat good to be able to enjoy it, that is precisely what makes this game good and stand out from the masses. If it weren't for that then I would have personally been long gone already.

(07-13-2016, 07:42 AM)martin-t Wrote: Also, if the weapon system is gonna be reworked, could it have a new order that places combo-able weapons next to each other?...
...I'd be interested to hear what order Mirio uses and if that (or similar) could be used as default.
Let's all keep in mind that Mirio has played Nexuiz/Xonotic for 10 or so years. I don't recommend learning to use mousewheel for combos, it's actually the harder way out. Mirio learned his jam the harder way out. If you want an easier way out, then "fix" the config. And even if mousewheel was a practical method - everyone would still have their different preferences in weapon order. I wouldn't mind a feature where you can change the order of weapons, but again it's a feature for a technique that I'm strictly recommending against, to anyone learning the game or wanting to get good in a reasonable amount of time.

Replace Hagar with lightning gun. Don't remove machine gun.

(07-18-2016, 04:25 AM)Smilecythe Wrote:
(07-13-2016, 07:42 AM)martin-t Wrote: Also, if the weapon system is gonna be reworked, could it have a new order that places combo-able weapons next to each other?...
...I'd be interested to hear what order Mirio uses and if that (or similar) could be used as default.
Let's all keep in mind that Mirio has played Nexuiz/Xonotic for 10 or so years. I don't recommend learning to use mousewheel for combos, it's actually the harder way out. Mirio learned his jam the harder way out. If you want an easier way out, then "fix" the config. And even if mousewheel was a practical method - everyone would still have their different preferences in weapon order. I wouldn't mind a feature where you can change the order of weapons, but again it's a feature for a technique that I'm strictly recommending against, to anyone learning the game or wanting to get good in a reasonable amount of time.

Yes, I would not recommend to use mousewheel only. I'm guessing for starters you can learn key binds much quicker then getting used to the mousewheel switching.
However you could still bind at least two weapons on it (mwheelup + mwheeldown).
You can change the order of weapons (weapon priority list). That's what he was asking for. Btw, changing it also affects the "Auto switch on pickup"-option and the weapon you spawn with in CA (whatever you picked to be the best).
In menu: Settings -> Game -> Weapons

(07-18-2016, 04:25 AM)Smilecythe Wrote: I wouldn't mind a feature where you can change the order of weapons, but again it's a feature for a technique that I'm strictly recommending against, to anyone learning the game or wanting to get good in a reasonable amount of time.

I am pretty sure that it IS actually a feature that is available right now. However, i strongly agree that that is a very bad solution and should be avoided.

The perfect decision is to finally move away from the crappy default config, and provide the new users with something actually useful. I am pretty sure that when wasd was introduced for the first time players were not very happy about it, and complained, but they quickly got used to it and it became the standard. So what am i talking about? I am talking about changing the default to esdf. Yes, this is the setup i use, and maybe i am biased towards it, but i believe that it is a highly logical and measured decision, providing a good amount of buttons to be used on both sides of it for weapon binds. At the same time, it is not to much of radical change. Its much smoother then moving to ijkl or something. I will start a new topic for discussing new default config.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weapon Balance Changes [PROPOSE/DISCUSS/REFINE] _para 2 1,792 03-19-2021, 10:43 AM
Last Post: _para
  [SUGGESTION] Casual vanilla balance martin-t 59 37,388 09-03-2017, 09:36 PM
Last Post: Beemann
  [SUGGESTION] XonStats weapon graphs regardless of past games played Antares* 1 2,666 12-21-2016, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Antibody
  [SUGGESTION] Yet another physics and balance revamp Lee_Stricklin 3 3,803 04-28-2016, 04:14 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon model ideas - Post here! Beagle 7 6,050 04-09-2016, 02:11 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Reversion Balance - Feedback / Suggestions asyyy 0 3,242 10-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Last Post: asyyy
  [SUGGESTION] Limited weapon slots & customizable spawn weapons MirceaKitsune 38 34,482 09-14-2014, 04:19 AM
Last Post: end user
  [SUGGESTION] Overkill mod: Nex balance issues unfa 12 12,371 06-16-2014, 11:11 AM
Last Post: tZork
  [SUGGESTION] per-weapon/vehicle camera toggling Lee_Stricklin 5 6,132 09-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Last Post: kammy
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon damage Damasco 17 14,363 07-31-2013, 07:20 AM
Last Post: ShuffleShot