Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you add languages to Xonotic?

I want to know how do you add languages to Xonotic, I want to add more languages into Xonotic. I have the time to contribute right now Smile

There are files in Gitlab that are called common.*.po that seem to contain the translation data. The * in the filename is the country code and/or dialect info (eg: ru, de, de_CH, en, en_AU, kk@Cyrl, etc). The .po file format is well documented and there are lots of tools that can help you edit it (though you could just do it by hand too).

https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic-data....ree/master

Notes:
I'm not messing with the code, but I've been involved in enough projects that have multiple languages to know where to start looking. Wink
Dunno if there is a way to tell Xonotic to directly use a .po file for testing, short of building everything and changing language in settings. If there is, I am sure someone will speak up with how.
[Image: 21975.jpg]

Quote:“To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.” - Douglas Adams

Where is English (EN) I've been searching hard and I can't find it, I see en_AU but not normal en.

I want to use EN as a base for translating a language.

The english file is simply named common.po.

You can request to join a translation team here: https://www.transifex.com/team-xonotic/xonotic/
Once your request has been accepted, you are free to translate Xonotic directly through the Transifex website or by downloading & editing the .po file then uploading it.

Testing a translation file is very easy: download the latest .po file from Transifex (choose "download for use"), rename it to common.*.po (* being the language/country code) and move it to $HOME/.xonotic/data on Linux, or [user_path]\Saved Games\xonotic\data on Windows.

Important: before translating, carefully read Samual's guidelines: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...4#pid58824

Also be fluent in that language...

what if the translation I want to do isn't there? Because I see one I want to translate isn't there. (ID) Indonesian.

Please note that using Google Translate to acquire translations is unacceptable, as its results are quite poor.
[Image: 230.png]

Alright Mario.

(05-31-2016, 02:10 PM)Beagle Wrote: what if the translation I want to do isn't there? Because I see one I want to translate isn't there. (ID) Indonesian.
I guess you could fake it by using another language. Delete the French translation and use their spot common.FR.po

Actually you should just copy the main common.po file to common.id_ID.po and then edit that.
[Image: 21975.jpg]

Quote:“To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.” - Douglas Adams

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can i add a Game mode? HirnloserHering 2 4,363 08-29-2015, 06:33 AM
Last Post: HirnloserHering
  If you would like to contribute to Xonotic Dokujisan 0 11,249 03-18-2010, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Dokujisan