Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
TDM maps, or lack of?

Seems lately people are making CTF maps, lot's of really nice one's, but i'm concerned about the lack of DM/TDM maps at the moment being created..CTF is nice but I do not want to be playing just CTF, DM please! Smile

Is there anyone out there or is going to have a good crack at making a map for 6-12 players for example to be played on, I like this 'water world' idea in one of the other sub-forums with the picture's if it was pretty big inside with different areas.

I guess my concern is the lack of recent FFA/DM maps, and then TDM map's that could be used for competitive play, so would like to see some mappers making maps to support 6-12 players which would also be suitable then for 2v2-4v4 TDM etc.

Also I would be interested with linking up with mappers to go over item layout etc and this will be important.

Ideas?
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Do you remember Vociferous? (no, not the guy, but the map Big Grin ).
I plan to make that Xonotic ready, once I figure out how to use git.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Or mappers with no current inspiration can just retexture old favorites (soylent?).
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

(06-24-2010, 04:03 PM)Roanoke Wrote: Or mappers with no current inspiration can just retexture old favorites (soylent?).

sev is already remaking soylent

http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=360

could be used as a tdm but as usually no one cares

(06-24-2010, 07:00 AM)kojn^ Wrote: Also I would be interested with linking up with mappers to go over item layout etc and this will be important.

best joke ever

Well, there are other dm maps (runningman for instance).
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

FruitieX is retexturing runningman iirc.

Final rage? Tongue

Final rage and runningman are both 1v1 maps.

I'm retexturing runningmanctf yes, or at least trying to. If I manage to create something nice, I'll probably "port" it to the 1v1 version as well.

kojn, no way to remake the favorite DM/TDM maps as most of them are propriertary-licensed Quake 3 maps or conversions. Creating a map from scratch is an awful lot of work, hardest part being making it a fun map to play, good layout and such. (which is much more important than any graphics or other details). That's an area where at least I normally fail a lot, with an abandoned map count probably soon reaching 20 Tongue

I've already worked on stormkeep, other awesome maps from Nexuiz IMO include: Strength, Reslimed, Aggressor, Bloodprison, Final rage, Soylent, Warfare

Other noteworthy maps from the official Nexuiz pool:
Accident (TOTALLY underplayed)
Aneurysm (somewhat underplayed)
Darkzone (TOTALLY underplayed, I found this a fun map in the few matches I played on it)
Desertfactory (underplayed, maybe better for FFA due to big open areas?)
Ruiner (also underplayed, perhaps too open as well)
Toxic (too open for any serious competitive matches, still a fun map)

The rest were just crap, sorry.
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

Aerowalk? Will something similar to this map be in xonotic.

[/quote]

best joke ever
[/quote]

I offered to go on a server with you for your 'new' map, to go over stuff, to which you never replied.

Don't ask for help again with that attitude.
(06-24-2010, 07:04 PM)FruitieX Wrote: Final rage and runningman are both 1v1 maps.

I'm retexturing runningmanctf yes, or at least trying to. If I manage to create something nice, I'll probably "port" it to the 1v1 version as well.

kojn, no way to remake the favorite DM/TDM maps as most of them are propriertary-licensed Quake 3 maps or conversions. Creating a map from scratch is an awful lot of work, hardest part being making it a fun map to play, good layout and such. (which is much more important than any graphics or other details). That's an area where at least I normally fail a lot, with an abandoned map count probably soon reaching 20 Tongue

I've already worked on stormkeep, other awesome maps from Nexuiz IMO include: Strength, Reslimed, Aggressor, Bloodprison, Final rage, Soylent, Warfare

Other noteworthy maps from the official Nexuiz pool:
Accident (TOTALLY underplayed)
Aneurysm (somewhat underplayed)
Darkzone (TOTALLY underplayed, I found this a fun map in the few matches I played on it)
Desertfactory (underplayed, maybe better for FFA due to big open areas?)
Ruiner (also underplayed, perhaps too open as well)
Toxic (too open for any serious competitive matches, still a fun map)

The rest were just crap, sorry.

Most people here are talking about 1on1 maps or 2on2, i'm talking more maps like Strength/Dieselpower in size.

I understand that FrutieX but there is a lot of high-quality CTF maps coming out, but let's see some FFA/DM/TDM maps too it's the reason I got into the community in the first place, don't want to see just CTF dominance which would be wrong imo but yea.

(06-25-2010, 06:45 AM)kojn^ Wrote: I offered to go on a server with you for your 'new' map, to go over stuff, to which you never replied.

actually you said this

Spoke to Cortez about this, happy to go over the map with him when he is next online and say where I think he should move some of the items too (mainly ammo and shards/health..like the mortar is not good at the moment).

I asked for feedback, you said you will give me some feedback.

I did so on IRC. I will not 'troll' my thread any longer with you.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Troll your own thread

No on a more serious note, I agree with you kojn. Too few good DM/TDM maps coming up, which also double as Arena/Keyhunt/CA maps. I definitely will switch my focus to DM maps now. Maybe even pull off some unique maps from scratch, inspired by cpm3 and such (everything packed very tightly, this type of maps are just awesome)
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

I do not mind tightly packed maps, strength is tightly packed in area's but it is still big enough to cope with 8-16 players due to it's verticalness also or different 'levels' in the map. DieselPower is the same too, I would like to see more maps like this that really have the space to allow gameplay with higher numbers of players.

I can sketch some more stuff if you are interested in working with me on a DM/TDM map that I had done some sketches on already?

Sure thing, we need ideas Smile
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The lack of duel players Ch4mp 18 12,069 07-01-2016, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Iokast
  TDM Movie kojn^ 20 19,128 03-09-2015, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Antibody
  Competitive 2v2 TDM Maps and Duel Maps rabs 6 8,034 04-20-2010, 06:20 AM