Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.0 Mappool ?

Evening Cortez666, nice maps. I found a bug in run_weapontest_beta, it doesn't seem to work with the newest autobuild or git. It just takes away the shotgun but doesn't give laser. 0.8.1 works.

As for the maps themselves, they're very nice, maybe a little short. Especially the second one. It should probably also include crylink and another (much longer) laser segment that forces the player to use it to gain much more speed.

I like the idea of restarting individual segments to learn but not sure how many tricks I'd remember at the end. Would it be possible to make the player complete the whole level without dying/teleporting at least once? Example: on the first run, it teleports him back but the finish then converts teleports into death traps and makes him complete it again.

As a side note: are rocket jumps really that useful in vanilla? I haven't played it much but have never seen them. Even after completing this level, I'd be reluctant to use them due to how much health I lose.

And finally, as Maddin said, these running levels feel disconnected from the main game. Ideally they'd make it clear that speed is the way to avoid getting hit, not hiding and camping.
[Image: 30381.jpg]

<packer> when i see martin-t's name my blood pressure increases

<[BOT]Hоtdоg> anyone here lives near martin?
<[BOT]Hоtdоg> will pay monies for shooting him

(07-11-2016, 05:18 PM)martin-t Wrote: As for the maps themselves, they're very nice, maybe a little short. Especially the second one. It should probably also include crylink and another (much longer) laser segment that forces the player to use it to gain much more speed.

Great idea! I've spec'ed a few Crylink acceleration sessions but never was able to do it myself. Does anyone know whether there's some kind of doc/guide around?

(07-11-2016, 05:18 PM)martin-t Wrote: I like the idea of restarting individual segments to learn but not sure how many tricks I'd remember at the end. Would it be possible to make the player complete the whole level without dying/teleporting at least once? Example: on the first run, it teleports him back but the finish then converts teleports into death traps and makes him complete it again.

I don't think there's an easy way to do both kinds, i.e. individual lessons vs. whole continuous lessons.

To address the problem of forgetting the previous lessons, perhaps a corridor with many teleports that allow players to pick which lesson to take?

(07-11-2016, 05:18 PM)martin-t Wrote: As a side note: are rocket jumps really that useful in vanilla? I haven't played it much but have never seen them. Even after completing this level, I'd be reluctant to use them due to how much health I lose.

I've found it essential in space maps -- it can save you from falling into the void.

(07-11-2016, 05:18 PM)martin-t Wrote: And finally, as Maddin said, these running levels feel disconnected from the main game. Ideally they'd make it clear that speed is the way to avoid getting hit, not hiding and camping.

I agree. This is also the case of game servers. It seems there aren't too many players going to both typical game servers and racing servers. To be honest, the precision required in racing feels very daunting to me. That said, I'm all for getting more people (including me) interested in honing their movement skills.

(07-12-2016, 01:19 AM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote:
(07-11-2016, 05:18 PM)martin-t Wrote: As for the maps themselves, they're very nice, maybe a little short. Especially the second one. It should probably also include crylink and another (much longer) laser segment that forces the player to use it to gain much more speed.

Great idea! I've spec'ed a few Crylink acceleration sessions but never was able to do it myself. Does anyone know whether there's some kind of doc/guide around?

Check the Newbie Corner on Crylink :o)
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(07-11-2016, 05:18 PM)martin-t Wrote: Evening Cortez666, nice maps. I found a bug in run_weapontest_beta, it doesn't seem to work with the newest autobuild or git. It just takes away the shotgun but doesn't give laser. 0.8.1 works.

i know. The reason is that in the entities the laser has been renamed to blaster.
Or in short, the game doesnt know the laser anymore.

well, i wanted to keep it as simple as possible, covering just the basics.
Crylink usage for movement?

(07-11-2016, 05:18 PM)martin-t Wrote: I like the idea of restarting individual segments to learn but not sure how many tricks I'd remember at the end. Would it be possible to make the player complete the whole level without dying/teleporting at least once? Example: on the first run, it teleports him back but the finish then converts teleports into death traps and makes him complete it again.

This idea would requiere programming and im not a programmer.

(07-11-2016, 05:18 PM)martin-t Wrote: And finally, as Maddin said, these running levels feel disconnected from the main game. Ideally they'd make it clear that speed is the way to avoid getting hit, not hiding and camping.

as i answered to maddins post, these are just examples for gameplay. No finished maps. Another point he is reffering to it from the visual style and not gameplaywise.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(07-12-2016, 03:40 PM)Cortez666 Wrote:

well, i wanted to keep it as simple as possible, covering just the basics.
Crylink usage for movement?

Yeah, I suppose it's quite useful in ctf (although new people seem to prefer dm). About the longer laser segment: I always find xdf videos fascinating to watch but don't have the patience. I thought it would be awesome to have a map like that that works with the default physics and weapons. Maybe not as part of the tutorial but more like a challenge/intermediate level.

I sometimes spec newbies to see what's so hard about xon and they all seem to be quite slow. It would be awesome if they could get a hang of xon's speed and fluency before getting on the servers and ragequitting minutes later. Wink

I am generally not a fan of so much handholding but the barrier to entry in xon is huge.

(07-12-2016, 03:40 PM)Cortez666 Wrote:

This idea would requiere programming and im not a programmer.

Yeah, I didn't even know if it's possible, was hoping someone more knowledgeable would say how feasible it is.

(07-12-2016, 03:40 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: i know. The reason is that in the entities the laser has been renamed to blaster.
Or in short, the game doesnt know the laser anymore.

This can be considered a bug, and should be reported on the tracker, so it can be fixed.
http://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic-data.pk3dir/issues/
[Image: 230.png]

(07-12-2016, 03:40 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: Crylink usage for movement?
Check the Newbie Corner on Crylink :o)
My Xonstats Profile

* Halogene lifts hat

Very nice sir.
My Xonstats Profile

Wow. Just wow.

Crylink secondary was introduced to gain speed but got exploited and became an essential tool to save yourself from falling into void.

Thanks, all! These are super helpful demonstrations and guides.

Mirio, how do you get those recorded? If I record my own demo, I can't get the 3rd person perspective.

The crylink actually does surprisingly little damage. Could the tutorial map allow damage and offer pickups? That would make it clear that it's a small tradeoff.

(07-16-2016, 06:36 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: Thanks, all! These are super helpful demonstrations and guides.

Mirio, how do you get those recorded? If I record my own demo, I can't get the 3rd person perspective.

3rd person = chase_active 1

But this is done with camera_enable 1 (follows you) and camera_free 1 (does not follow, you can move around)

Maybe it would be better to make a separate thread about the future of the cts mode.

More then 90% of this thread are about the cts mode.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

im wondering that there is no need to talk about other modes than cts

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1.0 Mappool - 2nd approach Cortez666 11 7,214 11-10-2017, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Antares*