Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mappers wanted!

The state of the mapping section of the wiki is pretty pitiful - take a look at this page - there are 13 links there: 12 of them are red, and the one that is not red is external. The last section doesn't even have any links under it.

If you're a mapper and you know what you are doing, please help make the wiki more complete. That way, we can have more maps because people who want to learn how to map will be able to (and maps will likely be of higher quality if the wiki is written well).
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

dont you think there are more important things to do at the moment?

I'm glad to know that you are involved in those more important things, cortez. Perhaps a mapper who is not could help fill it out.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

I know this is a bit off topic, but:

Are there plans for a dedicated OUNS-like wiki for non devs? I'd very much like something similar to that as a wider community editable source of information. If only devs can contribute to the dev.xonotic.org wiki, it's unlikely that it will ever become the largest collection of Xonotic related information available.
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

Anyone can contribute to the dev.xonotic.org wiki Tongue
I'd strongly support making it OUXS-like, I loved OUNS and contributed what I could.

I doubt that you really need to cover all the basics of using Radiant in the wiki. You should describe how to configure it for Xonotic and have a few links to Quake* radiant tutorials, that should do it. People should be able to use Q1, Q2 or Q3A tutorials for all the basics. Some good ones to start are here and here.
spirit
my FPS maps

I'll see what I can add, pretty busy with my level through. Fabzor3 videos are good basics. I'll offer many advanced tips
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

(06-24-2010, 08:38 PM)dfsp_spirit Wrote: I doubt that you really need to cover all the basics of using Radiant in the wiki. You should describe how to configure it for Xonotic and have a few links to Quake* radiant tutorials, that should do it. People should be able to use Q1, Q2 or Q3A tutorials for all the basics. Some good ones to start are here and here.

Those may cover the basics, but I doubt they cover the specific gamemodes in xonotic (kh, dom, ons, etc.)

Wow heh, good job at reviving a thread like that Tongue

That's okay, though!

My turn to up the thread! Big Grin

I made a lot of things irl since I last played and I'm now studying 3D. Everyday I tear my hair out on Maya and I weep with joy when I have the right to do my stuff on Blender. But in spite of all the hate I can have for Maya I do believe it's great compared to the radiant software familly. I remember using Netradiant a long time ago and that was a real pain. Now I have a little more free time and I'd like to get involved in Xonotic creating some maps (though they're great maps I'm kinda annoyed to spend all my ingame time on only 3 maps: Tarx, Dance and Spacethingy (the new gasolinepowered)).

So here's my question: did Netradiant or GTKRadiant get any better? If not, is it possible (and recommanded) to use Blender? Blender has a q3map exporter addon but I've never tried it and I don't know what it's worth. And the documentation on this subject is pretty low.

Love <3
Heart Heart

NetRadiant can import Blender exported .obj files as misc_model brush entities.

Once you find the misc_model menu item, be sure to set the model to solid (press N then check the SOLID checkbox).
[Image: 230.png]

Thanks for your help. But is there anyway I can map without using NetRadiant? It's one of the most horrible softs I've seen in this domain...
Heart Heart

(05-06-2014, 07:24 PM)Wii-Wii Wrote: Thanks for your help. But is there anyway I can map without using NetRadiant? It's one of the most horrible softs I've seen in this domain...

You can use TrenchBroom and go through a long conversion process, but otherwise no.

it's not horrible, it's extremely capable for xonotic; just has a very dated interface and integration, so it is hard to learn at first.

Yep that's why I wanted to use Blender or Maya, I'd be much more productive with them if they were able to do this.
I might be working on some plugin for Blender this summer coz I really want to throw Netradiant to the trash tbh..
Need to see how q3map works though.
Heart Heart

Netradiant was created for brushwork. You will never be capable to block your environment faster in Maya or 3ds Max then you can do it in netradiant. Also texturing in netradiant is much easier then unwrapping each damn face in professional modelling editor! I do agree that for modeling purposes software like Maya beats Netradiant. Thats why you should do your models in Maya or Blender but put your map together in netradiant, using brushes properly to block your map. I know that netradiant isn't the best of its kind (not having material nodes system, no real time lighting, long rendering, annoying terrain blending...) but It was designed to create maps, then it should be used that way.

Also: Netradiant is just a tool. Its up to designer hands and head to create beauty. A great artist doesn't need $10 pencil to create amazing drawings.

Well, Blender is a free and better pencil anyway. But I get your point. However I still think such a time-consuming task like mapping should be done in good conditions, which Radiant doesn't provide. Like you said, modelling is by far more convenient in "traditionnal" 3D softwares and concerning the shadering part, I must agree it's often a pain. But that's what I do everyday and I wish I could use what I learn to create maps without switching to Radiant. That's why I'll have a look at q3map2 to see if I can make some plugin for Blender which would allow a complete mapping process.

This being said, I'm most of the time using a Mac and Radiant is even worse on it...

Creativity comes from the man. But that doesn't mean he has to use outdated tools.
Heart Heart

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video A Video Tutorial for Mappers: Modular Geometry unfa 23 27,499 11-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Last Post: aa
  Map prop modelers wanted! FruitieX 91 132,870 06-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Last Post: poVoq
Exclamation netRadiant risks dying again - What will mappers do? MirceaKitsune 6 7,129 01-29-2013, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  2 great reads for mappers Strahlemann 5 5,097 04-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Last Post: neXus
Photo New Nex hit decay image [help from Devs wanted here!] unfa 7 8,775 06-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Last Post: unfa
  Texture Set for Mappers - Facility 114 (Updated) Oblivion 8 12,180 04-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin