Create an account

Poll: Is a Windows installer a good idea?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, Xonotic should have an installer.
46.15%
6 46.15%
No, Xonotic should NOT have an installer.
53.85%
7 53.85%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Easy installer for Xonotic?

Hello. I am always looking for ways to make this game better, and I love suggesting things. How about a self-extracting installer for Windows? It will help those that have no idea how to extract the game. What does everyone think of this idea?

An installer may be a good way to tell the players a bit about the forums, irc, etc. It can even offer to also install an IRC client, etc.

personally, i dont think xonotic needs an installer.

Back in the Nexuiz days someone build an installer and in my opinion it didnt add any value.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Not really needed. Zip files are openable by Windows 7 default file explorer.
Other than that, installers happen to be a mixed bag sometimes containing advertisements, adware, toolbars, and other junk (that even if you click no, they add the bullshit anyways). Not saying yours will have it, but it's what can be expected about half the time.

So I consider extracting a zip file is pretty much the cleanest and simplest install.

We could also have Xonotic on Steam. Eh? Steam has an auto installer.

That would be like taking up smoking only because your car has an ashtray.

Actually no, it would be like buying a car because you need an ashtray.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

(07-05-2016, 11:12 PM)Kotaku Wrote: We could also have Xonotic on Steam. Eh? Steam has an auto installer.

With simutrans on steam it seems to be possible that othe ropen source game could go that way too.

Put im not sure if thats the way to go for an open source game, as you include something which doesnt get along with the open source idea.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(06-15-2016, 09:16 PM)VertX Wrote: Hello. I am always looking for ways to make this game better, and I love suggesting things. How about a self-extracting installer for Windows? It will help those that have no idea how to extract the game. What does everyone think of this idea?

We really could use more US players....

This installer looks promising:

Nullsoft Scriptable Install System (NSIS)
https://nsis.sourceforge.io/Main_Page

Description:
NSIS (Nullsoft Scriptable Install System) is a professional open source system to create Windows installers. It is designed to be as small and flexible as possible and is therefore very suitable for internet distribution.
Being a user's first experience with your product, a stable and reliable installer is an important component of successful software. With NSIS you can create such installers that are capable of doing everything that is needed to setup your software.
NSIS is script-based and allows you to create the logic to handle even the most complex installation tasks. Many plug-ins and scripts are already available: you can create web installers, communicate with Windows and other software components, install or update shared components and more.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Easy-access FPS limiter and pre-tweaked motion blur Lee_Stricklin 9 11,740 09-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Last Post: divVerent
  [SUGGESTION] Easy fullscreen toggle, please! unfa 3 4,222 05-05-2010, 05:44 AM
Last Post: bones_was_here