Create an account

Poll: What should the "Nex" be changed to?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Xonic
0%
0 0%
PAR
0%
0 0%
REAPR (Rapid Energy Accelerator Pulse Rifle)
9.52%
2 9.52%
Xonos
0%
0 0%
DUG (Depleated Uranium Gun)
0%
0 0%
Flux Rifle (maybe just Flux?)
52.38%
11 52.38%
Valgrind
0%
0 0%
Xon
28.57%
6 28.57%
Viper
9.52%
2 9.52%
Annihilator
0%
0 0%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] New name for the "Nex"

The purpose of this poll is to identify some potential new names for the "Nex" gun.

See the following thread for the discussion that led to this poll: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=605
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

Flux Rifle seems most reasonable to me from that list.

I've been thinking about this though. Perhaps we could leave the Nex called a Nex. Because it doesn't need to relate to Nexuiz necessarily. It can just be a random name or a name to... remind us of old times if anything, and a small name that lived through the Nexuiz -> Xonotic transition Tongue

while i cant say "yes, lets keep the name nex" i also cant say "we need another name". i think a new name is not necessary.

The poll isn't deciding definitively whether or not to change the name. It is just to provide data to the core team on what popular names it could be changed to should they be inclined.

Or how about just "Rail".
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

How original Tongue
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

How about just 'gun'?

FrutieX shall we combine? Big Grin
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Ooff, i picked "Viper", because i think its link to something real and common can let people easily associate it with a trait; "its bite is dangerous".
On the other hand, that could lead to the problem that the real counterpart character will be forced upon the weapon, making changes necessary that would affect its functioning; "its bite is venomous". (but i think that could prove interesting)

Regarding names starting with X i don't feel comfortable with any suggestions that have been posted. "Xonic", "Xonar".... "Xion"? (my favs) - it all is awkward.
BUT why should THAT gun be representative for Xonotic, anyway?

Then there could be a common naming pattern used for all weapons:
XPress
XTazer
XTelzior
XCaliber (LOLWTF?!)

(It's funny, because "XCaliber" sounds like "Excalibur")
4m038105 - Be the change.

Quote:i picked "Viper", because i think its link to something real and common can let people easily associate it with a trait

That's really why I picked Flux (it is common to say that something is "in flux" to mean it is changing or unstable). A flux is akin to a vector in math, which has similar characteristics to the weapon when it is fired (straight and small).

I do like the name REAPR, it feels so experimental and Web 2.0© (reapR). In the end I had to vote Flux Rifle though, because:

- It sounds quite nice
- Still has technical connotations, though these do not have to be understood in order to understand the name as a whole
- REAPR feels like a name for a large, bulky, unwieldy, DANGEROUS weapon. I think it might be better suited to a vehicle or the fireball.
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

Yes! I got the RAPER... ehh REAPR.

Tongue

I will go for the FLUX rifle

Quote:Yes! I got the RAPER... ehh REAPR.

I make similar mistakes when I'm giving pubic addresses. I mean, er, public addresses.

(06-25-2010, 07:00 PM)clanclanclan Wrote: DANGEROUS weapon. I think it might be better suited to a vehicle or the fireball.
The nex is not dangerous?
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

Roanoke Wrote:The nex is not dangerous?

I meant dangerous to EVERYONE (including the user). Hence the big red lettering Big Grin
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

(06-25-2010, 11:04 PM)clanclanclan Wrote:
Roanoke Wrote:The nex is not dangerous?

I meant dangerous to EVERYONE (including the user). Hence the big red lettering Big Grin

yea, REAPR sounds like a weapon of mass destruction containing lots of fireworks, huge explosions, `BOOOM!!!`, hands and legs flying around separately and stuff... While nex is rather clean, killing with surgical precision.

I also vote for `flux`
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

Flux reminds me Fluxbox. Undecided

Xon has the same name logic like Nex had. And Xon isn't even bad name, I like it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] New toys not new any more? BuddyFriendGuy 11 9,153 05-07-2016, 01:12 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Overkill mod: Nex balance issues unfa 12 12,406 06-16-2014, 11:11 AM
Last Post: tZork
  [SUGGESTION] Alt fire mode for Nex instead of scope? Smilecythe 28 31,406 03-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune
  [SUGGESTION] Don't display name of invisible players Micha 3 4,628 08-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Last Post: Samual
Photo [SUGGESTION] Making the Nex more beam-like w/ video W4RP1G 29 28,080 05-14-2012, 02:49 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Nex charge and weapon swap Grunt 34 39,769 02-01-2011, 02:23 AM
Last Post: tZork
  [SUGGESTION] Nex idea shogun_assassin 7 8,579 12-16-2010, 07:38 AM
Last Post: unfa
  [SUGGESTION] Nex leveling yet not remove its power. oiaohm 8 8,559 11-28-2010, 07:31 AM
Last Post: oiaohm
  [SUGGESTION] Nex gun recoil impact for high jumps like in Nexuiz xeros 3 5,368 10-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Last Post: xeros
  [SUGGESTION] Nex (Xon Rifle) color nowego4 16 14,399 07-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Last Post: nowego4