Create an account

Poll: Change it?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, let the majority win
95.24%
20 95.24%
No, keep it
4.76%
1 4.76%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Voting system in game

I suggest to fix that in Xonotic.

The (or my) problem is that almost every vote for something fails, because people are
- too lazy to vote
- don't know how to vote
- don't see that anyone called a vote
- [...]

Example:
http://pics.nexuizninjaz.com/images/tamp...fu8vr6.jpg

8 (!) out of 12 did not vote there!
Happens every day '1000' times.

In my opinion the majority should win, because if anyone does not vote he does not care about it.

I don't know if there will be a Tutorial map in Xonotic, but maybe you could include a fast "How-to: Vote" part Big Grin

(06-25-2010, 12:13 PM)Mirio Wrote: *snip*
people are
- too lazy to vote
- don't know how to vote
- don't see that anyone called a vote
*snip*
I don't know if there will be a Tutorial map in Xonotic, but maybe you could include a fast "How-to: Vote" part Big Grin

I'd like to point out this fact: the voting sistem in the past was indeed almost invisible, especially for new players. Thanks to FruitieX and Diabolik with their new panel hud, however, things have changed (Panelhud was merged to master 6 days ago), and it is indeed more visible (by default).

A nice approach to make it even more visible to the non voter would be:
  • make the voting panel gently and intermittently glow while a call has been called, nothing too intrusive, otherwise we'd have people with automatic-F2.
  • Make it flash when the user is fragged and is respawning. It should be the best moment to notify him (as n00bs are probably getting fragged more often, whereas experienced players should have no problems watching the panel while playing)
  • Make it more visible as the time to vote is running out - i.e. last 10 seconds countdown.

This is definitely going to annoy someone - I know that - but imho a balance between visibility and newb-awareness is what we need; besided, you can move the voting panel with a few clicks.

(06-25-2010, 12:13 PM)Mirio Wrote: I suggest to fix that in Xonotic.
*snip*
8 (!) out of 12 did not vote there!
Happens every day '1000' times.

In my opinion the majority should win, because if anyone does not vote he does not care about it.

I don't know about that, actually. All I say is let's see if the new system is more effective in making people vote.

Maybe a better approach could be:
  • a number of people gets the strict majority before the end of the vote - result is their choice, no matter what
  • the majority doesn't care, but there are more than a third of people who have voted yes - the vote timeouts, then the result is yes.

I know there are special rules (or are in progress) for votes to kick a teamkiller, anyway - but don't have much details.

It is difficult to put in words exactly how heartily I agree with the OP. In addition, prevent people from spawning until they vote. Tankmiche doesn't seem to account for AFK users.

Majority wins.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

I agree, majority rules.

Majority works great Wink

I agree that everyone who didn't vote should automatically count as having abstained from the vote.

I've set a key bind so that I can abstain instead of being one of the "didn't vote" people Smile
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

the thing that the majority voted for should win the vote!!! that's right!
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

Yes, simple majority votes ftw, it's just a matter of toggling some cvars (that is being used on all XPM race servers Wink)
Timeout can be shortened a bit too IMO
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

Mmh I guess it's only me having doubts then.

I may only ask to support Roanoke's "Prevent people from spawning until they vote" idea. Seems fair, as long as there is an "abstain" button too.

Yes, you can always do "vote abstain" (should be bound to f3 I think).
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

I had very much success with these rules:

sv_vote_simple_majority_factor 0.667
sv_vote_majority_factor 0.5

The idea here is that when few people voted, a "more than 2/3" majority is required, to limit abuse of the voting system.

Example: 15 players.
- assume 9 place their vote. The vote passes if 7 of them said yes.
- assume all place their vote, then 8 "yes" suffice (which terminates the vote early), even if there were 7 "no"!
- assume 3 place their vote. Then they all have to agree.
- assume 4 place their vote. Then three have to say yes.
- assume 10 abstain, 3 vote yes. Then the vote passes, per sv_vote_majority_factor 0.5, even though 3:2 does not suffice for simple majority.

That makes abusive votes easy to reject, and lets well intentioned votes pass easily.

I suggest these settings as default.

The reason why we have to require a 2/3 majority for votes with few participants is simply that otherwise abusive votes (especially kick) pass way too easily.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

maybe there should a feature to allow the players to declare that they r now afk (something like the "state" in chat clients, msn messenger etc)
so that when a vote is called, they r not counted (as if they don't exist) while they r in that state
sometimes it's a bit annoying when the vcall times out or takes long to be accepted because a player didn't vote, who is actually not there

Nobody would ever use that.

(07-01-2010, 07:51 PM)XV22 Wrote: maybe there should a feature to allow the players to declare that they r now afk (something like the "state" in chat clients, msn messenger etc)
so that when a vote is called, they r not counted (as if they don't exist) while they r in that state
sometimes it's a bit annoying when the vcall times out or takes long to be accepted because a player didn't vote, who is actually not there
... F3?

That's definitely not what F3 does. Spectators can still vote on most pub servers.

Also, as Roanoke stated before, no one would use an afk key. Sure maybe a couple of considerate people would, but the vast majority of people wouldn't, and we'd be back at square one. Now you could do something like an idle like on wlm, aim, skype, etc. It would basically read if there has been any activity on your end for x amt of time. And as someone stated before, when someone doesn't vote, it could just be counted as an abstain. Either should work.

Idle and idle timer could potentially cause problems for spectators though...

The best solution is to count non-voters as abstained. It's simple and fair.

(07-02-2010, 11:25 AM)Roanoke Wrote: That's definitely not what F3 does. Spectators can still vote on most pub servers.
You didn't seem to read what I responded to. It's not about being able to vote.

Allowing players to declare that they are not playing atm, so that when a vote is called, they are not counted (as if they don't exist), and the vote is not held up, that's what F3 does already.

F3 is the button to spectate. "vabstain" is not bound by default. Spectators are still counted as "didn't vote" if they don't press a button, iirc.

I think that on the servers I usually play on, spectators are ignored on votes. And since that makes sense, I thought this is standard. Sorry if I was wrong.

Anyway, by making vabstain default for spectators, you end up with the feature described, without the need to implement a new command.

I don't believe it is standard. vabstain should just be default for everyone that doesn't vote, why just spectators?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Xonotic system requirements needed RaptorFX 50 78,899 07-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Cortez666
  [SUGGESTION] Matchmaking system? machine! 14 13,561 09-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Exclamation [SUGGESTION] Better Singleplayer AND A better pause system satuim 13 14,051 08-27-2013, 04:47 AM
Last Post: satuim
  [SUGGESTION] A small addition to the spawn system Dodge 25 23,929 07-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] XP system for stats cccxd 10 10,334 09-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Last Post: hutty
  [SUGGESTION] extended gravity system hutty 19 18,897 04-11-2012, 02:58 AM
Last Post: unfa
  [SUGGESTION] some kind of system to schedule matches/meetups jammo 5 6,603 10-09-2011, 04:54 AM
Last Post: lda17h
Thumbs Up [SUGGESTION] Fix the (not) voting problem. unfa 23 23,094 08-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Last Post: O.I.B.
  [SUGGESTION] Unified icon system to give info about players unfa 18 22,251 11-06-2010, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Rust Heart
  [SUGGESTION] Permanent ladder system, raking in-game PGP_Qz 9 14,385 09-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Last Post: PGP_Qz