Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Binding to F13 - F22

Hiya,

I want to bind stuff to keys f13 to f22 like call outs to team for TDM (moved from keypad). Tried using the in-game settings menu, but the game doesn't seem to pick it up.
Code:
bind f13 "say test"
Doesn't seem to do the trick either.

Is f13 named something else for console commands?

Maybe Xonotic is case sensitive there, but I don't think so -> F13
Technically the bind is ok like: bind F4 "ready"

Uppercase does not work either (output: "F13" is not a valid key). I suppose the game does not support past f12.

Have you tried both SDL and the native version?

(10-16-2016, 08:42 PM)Antares* Wrote: Uppercase does not work either (output: "F13" is not a valid key). I suppose the game does not support past f12.

Darkplaces source code seems to confirm that at first glance, but maybe a dev can provide some more details.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

PinkRobot is right, but I need to ask... do you have any screenshots of this keyboard that goes up to F22? I've never seen or heard of such a thing.

A possible solution for now could be rebinding these keys in your OS to something recognizable by the game.
Or, if you're feeling technical, turn on developer mode in-game (developer 1) and press all of those keys. It should say "key X has no translation", which will give you the key names to post on the tracker ( https://gitlab.com/xonotic/darkplaces/issues ), so we might be able to add support for them.
[Image: 230.png]

(10-17-2016, 08:10 AM)Mario Wrote: PinkRobot is right, but I need to ask... do you have any screenshots of this keyboard that goes up to F22? I've never seen or heard of such a thing.

Well, nobody said it could not involve the use of small stickers. But I am not sure that Darkplaces supports stickers either.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Not mine, but this one goes up to f24.

.jpg   1389260.jpg (Size: 67.04 KB / Downloads: 70)

Just enabling developer mode and pressing I don't get any console output. But trying to press them when binding on the GUI menu, I get <UNKNOWN KEYNUM> isn't a valid key.

F13-F24 are definitely valid keyboard codes, but I suspect that they weren't bothered with in Darkplaces (or possibly in your operating system).

First, check your OS supports it.

If you haven't selected the keyboard properly (ie: you selected a generic 101/105 key keyboard and never changed it) then it hasn't been told to support it. You either need to select the right keyboard, or go through and add in the extra functionality yourself by changing the config or hacking it to work.

In Linux, there's heaps of tools and many have changed over time. The latest is setxkbmap (within X), but tools like xev (within X) and showkey (outside of X) are useful for finding the keycode so you can map it properly to the right option.

This doesn't mean Darkplaces will work after that (may still be a problem there), but it does mean a dev running Linux could map a key on their keyboard to F13-F24 to test if it's just keyboard mapping or if Darkplaces has an issue.

FWIW: You can remap any key usually, so you could remap the Windows and Menu keys, or any extra keys your gaming keyboard has to these function keys. Just make sure all your normal keys work afterwards, as some keyboard that have extra keys simply send the same keycode as other keys on the keyboard (so you can't remap them without breaking those other keys as well - eg: some keyboards with duplicate rows of F keys that run vertically next to the keyboard, as well as the ones that run over the top).
[Image: 21975.jpg]

Quote:“To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.” - Douglas Adams

For sure my OS supports it- I figure since I can use it in Diablo II with no problems (didn't change or re-select keyboards).

.png   diablo2.png (Size: 315.87 KB / Downloads: 30)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SOLVED] binding to tab / capslock dingus 3 4,947 07-30-2016, 01:54 AM
Last Post: dingus