Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[SOLVED] macOS Sierra: -basedir /path/to/game

Exclamation 
Latest edit by mod for visibility:

The first thing to try is control+click the application in Finder, then select "open" and click "open" again when you see the popup.

This is the easiest way.

Edit by mod for visibility:

Type the following, replacing "/path/to/" with your actual path to Xonotic:

Quote:xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine "/path/to/Xonotic.app"

I would like to shed light on the reason for this.

We haven't paid "the Apple Tax" ... as a developer you have to pay Apple in order to sign your packages.  We are an "unknown" developer to them, and the package is unsigned. This DOES NOT mean the package cannot be verified.  This is exactly why we provide hash sums to verify your downloaded package.

The Team is discussing possible solutions, but for now, the command above is you saying "yes, I know I downloaded this, and verified I know the developers" manually.

See the tracker for more technical details https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/issues/182

OP below this line
-------

Greetings:

I downloaded "xonotic-0.8.1.zip" this morning and I am unable to get it working on my macOS Sierra 10.12.1 system. When I click on the Application to launch it, it says the following.

Code:
You have reached this menu due to missing or unlocatable content/data.
You may consider adding
-basedir /path/to/game
to your launch commandline

I installed it by doing the following steps.

Code:
$ md5sum xonotic-0.8.1.zip
f7a9cd8ab68a00336acca164f983b569
$ unzip xonotic-0.8.1.zip
$ mv Xonotic /Applications/MyApplications

I tried launching it via double-clicking on it within Finder and with the following command within Terminal.

Code:
$ open /Applications/MyApplications/Xonotic/Xonotic.app

The configuration directory path that is auto-generated is within the following directory. I have tried removing this in-between each attempt and it doesn't fix the problem.

Code:
~/Library/Application Support/xonotic

I have also tried updating with "rsync-updater."

Code:
$ cd /Applications/MyApplications/Xonotic/misc/tools/rsync-updater
$ ./update-to-release.sh
# when that didn't work...
$ ./update-to-autobuild.sh

The closest I've been able to get to get it working was to do the following.

Code:
$ cd /Applications/MyApplications/Xonotic/Xonotic.app/Contents/MacOS/
$ open xonotic-osx-sdl-bin

This will work after the "release" or "autobuild" updates; it will not produce sound if run without the update, i.e., straight from the initial Zip file. When it does launch, it sends torturous stuff to the speakers for a few seconds before it settles.

I appreciate any assistance and recommendations with regards to this problem. Thank you for your help and time.

Kind regards,
iqxonotic

(11-06-2016, 10:54 AM)iqxonotic Wrote: When it does launch, it sends torturous stuff to the speakers for a few seconds before it settles.

I don't have access to Sierra so sorry I can't help much but I can confirm that the beginning noise has been a problem for a while. It doesn't do any other harm though.

Hi I just found a fix :

1. put the Xonotic folder in your Application folder.
2. right clic on Xonotic.app
3. Click show package content
4. go in Contents -> MacOS
5. Open a terminal window
6. drag and drop xonotic-osx-sdl in the terminal
7. type enter
8. the game should launch without error

Since this problem came up once again on IRC, here is the solution to permanently fix the problem:
In the terminal, type

Code:
sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine "/path/to/Xonotic.app"
Instead of typing the path to the .app, you can just drag and drop the .app from finder into the terminal

I don't think sudo is necessary, according to the comments on this.

We have a bug report for this issue by the way, which can be found here: https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/issues/182

Or you can do this to solve this issue which I read somewhere, it worked for me:
"Move Xonotic.app somewhere else and back [again] using the Finder."
e.g. drag Xonotic.app to your desktop, then drag it back to it's original place again.  Presto, it works.
iMac OS Monterey 12.1
Xonotic 0.8.2 autobuild

Somebody on IRC said it's possible to CTRL+click and choose Open from the menu, can somebody on a Mac test this? Does it also persist like moving the .app somewhere else and back so it's possible to open xon normally after that? https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25088?locale=en_US
[Image: 30381.jpg]

<packer> when i see martin-t's name my blood pressure increases

<[BOT]Hоtdоg> anyone here lives near martin?
<[BOT]Hоtdоg> will pay monies for shooting him

Put all files from xonotic folder to applications, and launch xonotic from launcher

(12-16-2016, 09:56 AM)blaguou Wrote: Hi I just found a fix :

1. put the Xonotic folder in your Application folder.
2. right clic on Xonotic.app
3. Click show package content
4. go in Contents -> MacOS
5. Open a terminal window
6. drag and drop xonotic-osx-sdl in the terminal
7. type enter
8. the game should launch without error

can you made a script to load this when clicking? that can stay on the desktop?

FYI, I think in Catalina, the CTRL+click  Open method and the xattr method no longer work. I can get the game to work fine by running xonotic-osx-sdl from the terminal, or even just double-clicking on that file.

Dixius99 (or somebody else on Catalina): I added "Double click xonotic-osx-sdl." as another workaround on the issue and marked the 2 as not working anymore - can you confirm "Move Xonotic.app somewhere else and back using the Finder." still works?
[Image: 30381.jpg]

<packer> when i see martin-t's name my blood pressure increases

<[BOT]Hоtdоg> anyone here lives near martin?
<[BOT]Hоtdоg> will pay monies for shooting him

(04-02-2020, 02:54 PM)martin-t Wrote: Dixius99 (or somebody else on Catalina): I added "Double click xonotic-osx-sdl." as another workaround on the issue and marked the 2 as not working anymore - can you confirm "Move Xonotic.app somewhere else and back using the Finder." still works?

Better late than never, I guess, but unfortunately I can't confirm.

The app is now working for me by double-clicking on it, but I'm not exactly sure what got it to work.

I do have the issue that others have stated where the first second or so is a loud, annoying sound, but that goes away and then all seems to be working fine for me.

Big Grin 
(10-01-2017, 01:26 PM)Space Ace Wrote: Or you can do this to solve this issue which I read somewhere, it worked for me:
"Move Xonotic.app somewhere else and back [again] using the Finder."
e.g. drag Xonotic.app to your desktop, then drag it back to it's original place again.  Presto, it works.
Thanks!  Just discovered Xonotic after decades of OpenArena, and this simple process worked perfectly for me [Image: biggrin.png]

MacBook Pro (late 2013... still rockin'!)
macOS Big Sur (11.6.1)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Dualsense 5 Gamepad with MacOS Dolfost 7 884 02-16-2024, 06:14 AM
Last Post: Dolfost
  [NEED HELP] Windows 10 -basedir problem BlazedRasta 4 4,046 03-21-2023, 07:34 PM
Last Post: AlexVelasquez
  [NEED HELP] macOS Mojave 10.14 ComicsNights 0 2,236 09-08-2018, 05:20 AM
Last Post: ComicsNights
  [BUG] Fkeys F-keys F keys not working Mac OS Sierra 0.8.22 Space Ace 8 4,171 10-02-2017, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Space Ace
  [NEEDS INFO] -basedir /path/to/game itsMe 2 4,661 08-17-2016, 09:55 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SOLVED] -basedir /path/to/game? :P 7 8,592 11-28-2015, 06:57 AM
Last Post: PinkRobot