Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
Map prop modelers wanted!

[Image: 38092_450104537268_511262268_6213916_5308699_n.jpg]

Made a light fixture on blender if anyone wants it.

I was thinking of putting a pack of several props, but I need to know a few things first:

-what kind of file type would be best? (One which blender could export.)

-should I apply textures, or should the map maker apply his own?

(07-25-2010, 07:22 PM)filip Wrote: [Image: 38092_450104537268_511262268_6213916_5308699_n.jpg]

Made a light fixture on blender if anyone wants it.

I was thinking of putting a pack of several props, but I need to know a few things first:

-what kind of file type would be best? (One which blender could export.)

-should I apply textures, or should the map maker apply his own?

- best filetype would be one of: md3, ase, obj. Anything you can export to that also works in NetRadiant. But please also include the .blend file as sources so it can be GPL'd!

- Yeah, apply textures with the space theme in mind please. Smile
(07-24-2010, 10:42 AM)Flying Steel Wrote:
(07-24-2010, 06:20 AM)FruitieX Wrote: Awesome! Waiting until you release a completed pk3 then Smile

No idea how to do that, but I can re-export the models in whatever format is available as a blender export script (and at whatever scale you want, in units).

pk3 is simply a renamed zip. You'd put the files inside models/foo/* in the zip file, where foo is the name of some category you come up with that fits the models. Include any sources that would for you be the "preferable way to edit the files further".

Format as I said above, anything that NetRadiant can open.
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

(07-28-2010, 12:40 PM)FruitieX Wrote: pk3 is simply a renamed zip. You'd put the files inside models/foo/* in the zip file, where foo is the name of some category you come up with that fits the models. Include any sources that would for you be the "preferable way to edit the files further".

Format as I said above, anything that NetRadiant can open.

Heh, did you download it? That's almost exactly what I did, except renaming the zip pack to pk3.

There's .obj files, the source files for the both models and textures (.blend and .xcf, respectively) a copy of the GPLv3 license and a statement releasing it under said license. The pack is called "asteroids" but if you can think of a more fitting name. . . Tongue
(04-01-2010, 11:21 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Yes, beveled edges are more futuristic. Like BSG and their beveled paper.
But only on one edge.

(07-29-2010, 01:08 PM)Flying Steel Wrote: ... a copy of the GPLv3 license ...

Xonotic is GPLv2
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

Alright I hereby release it under the GPL version 2 as well.
(04-01-2010, 11:21 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Yes, beveled edges are more futuristic. Like BSG and their beveled paper.
But only on one edge.

(07-18-2010, 06:49 AM)tankmiche Wrote:
(07-08-2010, 11:36 AM)FruitieX Wrote:
(07-07-2010, 08:43 PM)Cuinnton Wrote: heres some models that could be quite good from blendswap.com:
http://www.blendswap.com/3D-models/elect...lar-drill/
http://www.blendswap.com/3D-models/elect...o-machine/
http://www.blendswap.com/3D-models/archi.../radiator/
http://www.blendswap.com/3D-models/architecture/chair/
http://www.blendswap.com/3D-models/elect...-gfx-card/
http://www.blendswap.com/3D-models/misc-...rial_lamp/
http://www.blendswap.com/3D-models/furniture/bench/
http://www.blendswap.com/3D-models/furni...-and-case/

Try contacting the artists and ask if they are ready for releasing the models under the GPL, and then inclusion in the game! Maybe they are also interested in creating other GPL models (props) for Xonotic...

I feel useless, so here we are:
I contacted to get the authors' contact info, but it's a submission-based website, there are many contributors, it may take a while.

The submit form asks to provide licensing info inside the .blend itself «In an open text window», but I'm not used to Blender, maybe you could check. And btw, I fear they prefer CC-based licenses...

Here's the answer I got:
matthew/mofx Wrote:Thanks for the interest guys but unfortunately I have a policy of not releasing information from my users. You could try and leave a comment on the models you are interested in and see if you get a response from the creator. But I won't give out that info. I hope you understand. Best of luck to you.

www.blendswap.com

I am so lucky. Big Grin

I was just giving up hope of contributing to xonotic, when the light rays came down from heaven and this popped up in a search.

I have used blender for a while and can model well. However, I CANNOT PROGRAM. As far as texturing goes, I can uv map a image onto a model, but have never used nor textures, so somebody else would have to help/do that.

I have never licensed anything under the GPL, so if somebody could tell me what to do there, that would help (I've seen some heated wars on here over licensing, so I'll just do what you tell me Big Grin)

.obj is excepted? Awesome. Blender can export that (although I don't know the scale).

Shall I work on a new strength model? The old one is in the shape of the nexuiz logo, so I thought we should probably change it.

Again, I can model in Blender (and rig to) but that's about it, so I'll need some help.

Edit: Could you actually model a whole map in Blender?

(08-03-2010, 04:31 PM)nowego4 Wrote: I have never licensed anything under the GPL, so if somebody could tell me what to do there, that would help (I've seen some heated wars on here over licensing, so I'll just do what you tell me Big Grin)
You say "This prop is licensed under gpl v2" and/or commit it to the repo Tongue

(08-03-2010, 04:31 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Shall I work on a new strength model? The old one is in the shape of the nexuiz logo, so I thought we should probably change it.
Yes, that would be a great help.

(08-03-2010, 04:31 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Edit: Could you actually model a whole map in Blender?
In principle, yes, but I think it would be easier in radiant (I have not tried it in blender personally, but radiant is a tool specialized for this, so it would make sense to use it).

Edit: At this point, modelers are about as valuable as coders. We need new weapon models to replace some of the old ones, so if you run out of props to model you can start there. You should go on #xonotic on freenode and hang around there. Props are much simpler than weapon models, so it would make sense for someone to try out modeling on props, but if you have experience in blender definitely look into making more serious models.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

Hi again,

Sorry to bother you with a newb question, but how do you get pictures to show in a post? I have my strength model done and pics ready (I added them as attachments) but when I hit "preview post" I got the little question mark boxes. When I clicked on those it said something like "message board: that page does not exist" or something. Should I just post the draft so you guys can see what I'm talking about?

First, I'll start of with this is my first post, despite being registered for over 4 months. Second, I'd like to post my work in progress crate. This model has over 2000 faces (which is a lot more than need be wasted on a simple crate model) and is not at all optimized. It was created using Blender for modeling, Gimp for texturing, and Inkscape for UV resizing.
Also, when it's released it will be GPL yadda yadda yadda.

Final note: The texture is a complete ripoff of this guy's wallpaper and it WILL BE CHANGED. I just needed a concrete base, and the internet happens to be full of them. I resized it and added scratches is all.
Source: http://visionleague.net/key/archives/cat...wallpapers

And finally, the model/texture. They are attached. (I have no clue how to show the images in post, so bear with me.) Oh, wait, "Insert into Post".

.jpg   StolenTexture_Crate.jpg (Size: 69.84 KB / Downloads: 282)

-At last got pics to work-

Ok, I whipped these up last night. If you like them, I'll post some files, if not, I can start over Big Grin
Left to right: Strength and Shield

3D view:

P.S. I think we should change the color of them to Strength=Orange and Shield=Green. This is because I always thought it was awkward to have a red team member have strength, or a blue team member on shield; both result in a pinkish purple.

Thanks for comments!

Hm, those look interesting. Perhaps if the frames were more faceted, not so much smoothed over as if they were out of clay. You've got a subsurf on that, right? How does it look like without one?
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

No, it wasn't a subsurf, in blender it's called "Set smooth". It adds no extra polys.

This is "Set solid". Is this what you meant/wanted?

Yes, that is what I meant. I like that much more. You should start a new thread and post both versions there.

Ok.

P.S. I heard someone was working on the new Fireball/flame thrower. Know were that thread is?

Edit: and what do you think about the color change?

(08-05-2010, 01:27 PM)nowego4 Wrote: P.S. I heard someone was working on the new Fireball/flame thrower. Know were that thread is?

there is no thread about it

(08-05-2010, 01:27 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Edit: and what do you think about the color change?
Thats an untextured version.

(08-05-2010, 03:36 PM)Cortez666 Wrote:
(08-05-2010, 01:27 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Edit: and what do you think about the color change?
Thats an untextured version.

Visit the new thread: Strength and Flag models
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...2#pid11122

And I was actually referring to the idea of Orange/Green instead of Blue/Pink

Standing lamp I just made with Blender 2.49.

How is this supposed to be powered? Batteries or external source? Some generator? Do you have power sockets out there? Wink

I'am reading thisss: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=99
But I noticed my Blender doesn't have ASE exporter plug-in, gotta get it somewhere...

I'll texture this model if anybofy is interested in it...
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Cool! Just what I need Big Grin
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Unfa, could you make some more of the lamps? I'll kinda need them for my next map. Thanks.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

Alright now I've got this one lamp UVmapped and everything in one mesh.

It's kinda highpoly Tongue I optimized it as I could but it's still 1181 verticles / 597 faces Smile

I'am gonna texture this now...

Well once I finish this one I might do some more lamps Smile Why not. Send me any reference images of what you'd like it to look like, Minkovsky.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Alright. I have the diffuse texture Smile It's 1024x1024. It's not perfect but looks nice IMHO, maybe I should give it some more decay, dirt and stuff... what do you think?

I don't know why but all the models I've seen go into these games are made of triangles not quads.

In blender's edit mode you can go back and forth with ctrl + t (quads to triangles) and alt + j (triangles to quads).

I would like to know why if anyone else knows?

It's rather ready. It has diffuse, specularity and emission textures. I don't thik it needs normal map...

nowego4:

I think those models get transformed into triangles anyway. I also think Blenderdisplays modesl in quads because it looks better an is easier to edit Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(10-04-2010, 02:06 PM)unfa Wrote: Alright. I have the diffuse texture Smile It's 1024x1024. It's not perfect but looks nice IMHO, maybe I should give it some more decay, dirt and stuff... what do you think?

No, there's not much dirt needed. Actually, my next map is going to be clean, without the industrial grit. Oh, and for the reference images, I've drawn some sketches of lamps I'd like to see in Xonotic, maybe someone would like to do them. For alien lights: These are plants, or anything organic.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mappers wanted! Roanoke 15 14,414 05-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Wii-Wii
Photo New Nex hit decay image [help from Devs wanted here!] unfa 7 8,775 06-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Last Post: unfa