Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[SUGGESTION] Old maps / "low-quality maps"

In this thread I want to discuss about old maps / "low-quality" maps.

In Xonotic, we want to have "only" high quality maps. This idea is good, ingame fun and game feeling will increase, playing is eyecandy for the player! But what about all the "old", often confusing/broken maps, sometimes with lower quality? (I dont mean especially MikeyUSAs maps now, but some of them too)
There are lots of maps, used in nexuiz (or were used; popularity is atm low, all regular with players filled servers dont use these maps Tongue ), that are often/sometimes fun. For me, some of them just belong to the game, I "grew" up with them (especially in 2.4.2).
Will the compatibility for these maps still be in the game, can maps like these still be used? Are they welcome to be used? (maybe they have to be converted to be used)

So, what do you think? What should happen with these maps?
(I hope I didnt forget anything, so Discuss!)

In xonotic, we want to have high quality official maps

The other maps are made by the community for the community, there's no styling rules or quality control. Expect no big change compared to Nexuiz.

Though some people are apparently discussing playerscale changes which may change map compatibility, I think.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

(07-07-2010, 01:44 PM)Roanoke Wrote: Though some people are apparently discussing playerscale changes which may change map compatibility, I think.

Not rly, since players would be scaled down, not up. They'll fit through all tight spaces as before, unlike if you go the other way around. Unless there are also physics changes, it'll be mostly exactly the same. And there were already quite some huge physics changes.
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

The more maps we have, and the more game-mode we have, is better.

(07-07-2010, 04:51 PM)FruitieX Wrote:
(07-07-2010, 01:44 PM)Roanoke Wrote: Though some people are apparently discussing playerscale changes which may change map compatibility, I think.

Not rly, since players would be scaled down, not up. They'll fit through all tight spaces as before, unlike if you go the other way around. Unless there are also physics changes, it'll be mostly exactly the same. And there were already quite some huge physics changes.

Fruitphys breaks a few maps Tongue (then again, so did 2.5 and 2.4 physics) If we get physics that for the most part keep the old maps playable the way they were intended, it would most likely be a step height issue (This KILLS blockscape and maps similar to it) that would screw with the playability. The lower quality graphics would be another, unless someone replaces all the textures from Nexuiz with higher quality ones, then I don't see much of an issue there.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

*Yay* for responding to 1/2 years old topics.
Not to mention that some maps from Nexuiz need to be ported properly, which is quite obvious. Xonotic physics are for Xonotic maps.

(07-07-2010, 04:51 PM)FruitieX Wrote: And there were already quite some huge physics changes.

You mean, an actual PHYSICS ENGINE? Cool!
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

(02-06-2011, 10:50 AM)Minkovsky Wrote:
(07-07-2010, 04:51 PM)FruitieX Wrote: And there were already quite some huge physics changes.

You mean, an actual PHYSICS ENGINE? Cool!

Player movement, etc. That's what everybody talks about when talking about physics.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Botskill too low JoeMaro 7 5,947 06-28-2015, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  [SUGGESTION] Ability to adjust the size of the flares in the Low settings Shadowman84 2 4,304 02-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hutty
  [SUGGESTION] Old, good acc? Justin 24 22,336 10-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Last Post: It'sMe
  [SUGGESTION] Sticky 'nades: New or old? ProjektGhost 19 15,593 08-29-2010, 06:54 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin