Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
THE ULTIMATE XONOTIC MAP!!!!!!!

OK i have found that everybody has a different opinion when it comes to the best xonotic/nexuiz map. So lets try and clear this shit up once and for all!

What do YOU like in a map?

What do you want to see? 6 Nex'es? A big map, a small map? Open map closed map. Jumppads, launch pads? One level, two levels, three levels. Does your map have to look sexy or does it just have to play well? More ammo, less ammo. Quad damage, Armor?

I could literally go on for ever but I want to know what U want?

WTF do you want in a map???!!!?!?!

Cheers!
MintOX
[Image: di-712770583645.png]

I like a nice, even spread of weapons, but not too many of the same kind of weapons. Ammo should not be difficult to get, but there should not be ammo EVERYWHERE, but there is definitely enough ammo to keep you going (and the placement of the ammo literally keeps you going around). Same mostly for health, megas in some key areas (or off in a harder to reach area), shards and small armor pickups in a lot of places (common speedways, etc.). Two megas (one armor one health) are generally enough for most maps, but size can change this. Quad should definitely be on a map, maybe armor too, extra points if they are concealed.

I like it when a map is open, and particularly when it has a certain flow. A map with good flow allows the player to maneuver easily and quickly throughout its passages and corridors to get where they need to go, without much of a slowdown. Trickjumps also improve a map immensely. Good graphics help a map, and a map that has both good gameplay and good graphics will be incredibly popular.

But what most makes a map, I think, is a tangible verticality. The ability to fight and move on different levels and transition between them easily. Verticality makes a map less a square and more a cube. Different levels can also contain different things to keep people moving in between levels. Best of all is when a map has many ways to go from where you are to where you need to be, and there is no such thing as a "dead end". Strength is a good example of verticality done right.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

I want a map that's pretty small and enclosed, with lots of hallways crammed into as small of a space as possible. You should still not be able to see the opponent most of the time, where I've seen many maps fail. Also, the different levels don't all have to be of the same height, but you can instead make it more interesting if another level was just a couple of stairs up, almost at a jumpable height. In order to avoid the bunch of extremely huge maps that Nexuiz seems to have had, the mapper should momentarily forget about the existance of a laser, and maybe tweak it for a physics set based on the slower maxspeed 320. </obvious laser troll> yeah Sad, but I think that's part of the sad truth.

Aggressor gets almost there, but for the truly "perfect" map see eg. http://q3a.ath.cx/download.php/map_cpm3a.pk3 Wink
And yes, it's too small with the default physics set, and the laser will get you across the whole map in one jump. (XPM fixes both in this case, and with it I've had some really awesome duels on the map)
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

i seriously don't care about maps. All i want is fun players. The map can be an empty blue box (hinta-dee-hint-hint) and i will have my fun with the right people.

Could we start a project? Sort of a mapping contest: we will use a big empty box (may be open) and just skin it for the eyecandy and the atmosphere. The only elements you may add is jumppads and killzones. (is "killzones" the right word? You know what i mean.)

So the only thing that influences the gameplay is the textures.
4m038105 - Be the change.

For 1v1, there's a lot of maps that I feel have good gameplay: aggressor, aneurysm, final_rage, stormkeep2, warfare, a number of the cpm maps that have been ported to Nexuiz, and more that I can't think of right now...

For 2v2tdm, which is the only sort of tdm I have any significant experience playing, I like stormkeep2, fr3dm1 and fury_castle. I think it was kojn who said there seemed to be a lack of good maps for this gametype, and unfortunately I agree.

For (more competitive) ctf, I find mikectf2 to be pretty ideal. For smaller games, of 3v3 or maybe 4v4, moonstone is good too. I am a fan of what I've heard referred to as "worm maps", with a number of (partially-)enclosed paths between the bases. There's quite a lot of other maps I enjoy for pickup ctf games, but mikectf2 and moonstone are definitely my two favourites.

Also, what FruitieX said.
[Image: 769.png]

Roanoke Wrote:But what most makes a map, I think, is a tangible verticality. The ability to fight and move on different levels and transition between them easily. Verticality makes a map less a square and more a cube. Different levels can also contain different things to keep people moving in between levels. Best of all is when a map has many ways to go from where you are to where you need to be, and there is no such thing as a "dead end". Strength is a good example of verticality done right.

Yes, verticality is certainly something that goes into most popular maps. I feel that Go is a perfect example of this, where it has a 'basement', a 'ground level' and a 'rooftop', yet it is still open and you can jump from any level to any other level, making speed caps and losing your opponent a breeze Cool.

While I'm talking about Go, I think that the space map certainly has it's place firmly cemented in casual ctf / dm. The things that seem to make these popular are:

- Jumppads, which you can use lasers with
- Gaps and platforms (platforms which are tactically separate from the main area of play in particular
- Excellent graphics
- The lack of invisible walls, because the map has a natural end where it falls off into nowhere
- Playermodel contrast with the skybox

Outside of space maps, I pretty well agree with what harry_ftw and FruitieX said regarding corridors and enclosed paths. The major trap that a mapper can fall into with this approach is not including trickjumps and different vertical levels, which leads to greatly degraded gameplay (Xonotic physics and movement should be the basis of any map, rather than just something mappers 'chuck in' at the last second).

Oh, and one more thing: I love having hiding places and areas that make gameplay more interesting, particularly the water areas on moonstone Big Grin
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

I agree to The mysterious Mr. 4m .

But are the textures the only thing that influence the gameplay? In principle I´m fan of every type of map, I like most of the maps played on servers. I think, one of the problems is the depth of different maps. Often, loads of players just like to play only big space maps etc. etc.

I would agree to some "dreamscape" high-quality maps. That are sure fun for most players. (but I agree to each other map Big Grin)

Open terrain map but with two or three levels of tunnels and large rooms underneath, low flying spacecraft/airships and stations above with walkable internal spaces and covered with working turrets on the outside. There would be a river running across the center of the map, the surface on the open terrain part of the map, but its bottom diving beneath the level of the tunnels, with the tunnel system crossing it using clear tubes, and connecting with two or more diving bells that would allow access from the tubes to the river and vice versa.

There would on no part of the map be more than 20 meters between exploding barrels. Also, there would be destructible mountains on each side of the map, and if too much damage was dealt one in too short a time, a volcanic eruption would take place, with lava floods and fireballs raining down, but all only on the side of the map the mountain was on.

Vehicles and ammo plentiful, but not so much that they can be taken for granted. Grappling Hooks and Jetpacks available. Roaming AI controlled monsters (a mixture of dinosaur, alien and military robots) that would attack players starting with those who were using trick jumps. Also organized waves of said monsters would enter the map and attack at almost random times, except with higher frequencies related to higher ratios of caps and chatting to actual frags.
(04-01-2010, 11:21 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Yes, beveled edges are more futuristic. Like BSG and their beveled paper.
But only on one edge.

That definitely holds appeal for me as an ONS map, flying steel, but moving ships where the player can be are made jerky due to bad movement prediction.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

(07-08-2010, 01:48 PM)Roanoke Wrote: That definitely holds appeal for me as an ONS map, flying steel, but moving ships where the player can be are made jerky due to bad movement prediction.

That was my understanding too, although I am not sure if the semi-recent integration of ODE has made any difference there.

Either way, at least half the stuff I said is not engine supported, because this is an ULTIMATE map. If it could be made with existing Xonotic technology, it would only be an ultimate map. ;)
(04-01-2010, 11:21 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Yes, beveled edges are more futuristic. Like BSG and their beveled paper.
But only on one edge.

i think you cant make the perfect map everone have different (lol first typed divverent) desires...

its more the thing whats the mapper makes ...your style your ideas your experiencences

i mean you make an map look at the criticism and make it better in you next map try to find the balance

yes you can make a little box with 2 flags (like this existing map) its a funny idea but not a great fun with 20 players
and the honorifibithingy is to long

i like maps where you can hunt and hide and where you have enogh space for a 1o1 fight and where you can play with clueless peoples
a map with a full equipment of places which you can use
in ctf 2 ways a safety and a fast ...for anyone something
rl and nex should be hard to get and the superweapons should be forbidden for serious levels you have fun and the other will leave the server when you have a firefall with 8(turned by 90) ammo

imho,
_para

I want a map with a flag room which then has hallways that go to a middle room and then hallways that go into the other flag room.

I want a perfect map. That's all.
[Image: duck.gif]
ai am ai.

Fix the avatar size limit please! I want my avatar gifs back! DISCRIMINATION!
Also, change my name to 'ai', these forums sucks which can't have 2 letters in the nick!

change my mind from a previous post: AGGRESSOR IS PERFECT! Big Grin
Only problem, I've played it too much... More like this wanted!
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

epic rocket flying map , and biiggg gaps to cross , but with plenty of floor to run around on.

sigh.

:^

I play minsta 1on1, and for that type of game:
I like closed tactical maps. My fav maps are Basement, Bloodprison, Aggressor.
I also like Dark City a lot although it's not small like my fav maps I have mentioned, but I like it because it's tactical also.
Example of maps I don't like are Evilspace, Distonic and motherfuckin farewell_*laserfun*. These maps are so open and only require aiming, and so many spawnfrags.

But I have to admit, I found many people to like the exact opposite of what I said.

I like 1on1/TDM maps. There are a lot of good maps, but most of the time they lack the depth of a competive map. I think that my favorite maps from the old ladderpool were aggressor, final_rage, reslimed, runningman, stormkeep and warfare.

There are 2 things I really dont like on many maps, 1.) that you can lock those (bad item placement) to easy or 2.) the layout is just to simple (to much open space and one-way routes).

What I like for 1v1 maps:

- verticality (again, aggressor is a very good example). So something cubic with a limited based surface. For this reason, i don't like much stormkeep2.
- "good" connectivity, "good" means that you could realistically elaborate some path assumptions (based on the pickup item sounds, the average movement speed of your opponent, etc) because each spot could be reached by let's say 2 or 3 other paths, but not only 1 path, neither 4.
- close map, to avoid to spend your time shooting in the air
- not too many megas and armors, so as to have a chance to break the map control. To mitigate this domination aspect, space maps could be a solution.
- a sexy layout is not a priority, imo
- not to complex textures, which complicate the gameplay (like strength for example).
- no too many obstacles which stuck players, like in aneurysm for example.
Fat.bot.Slim

My ultimate CTF (might also work for tdm/dm) xonotic map would have pretty much this layout:

[Image: 800px-High_Ground_Overview.jpg]

With a destroyed space ship on the beach where the 2nd base would be. Some Turrets here and there and perhaps spiderbots on the points 4 and 7.

(07-08-2010, 12:01 AM)FruitieX Wrote: Aggressor gets almost there, but for the truly "perfect" map see eg. http://q3a.ath.cx/download.php/map_cpm3a.pk3 Wink
Wouldn't it be possible to include it in Xonotic mappack?
Fat.bot.Slim

(09-06-2010, 03:09 PM)Rage_ATWM Wrote:
(07-08-2010, 12:01 AM)FruitieX Wrote: Aggressor gets almost there, but for the truly "perfect" map see eg. http://q3a.ath.cx/download.php/map_cpm3a.pk3 Wink
Wouldn't it be possible to include it in Xonotic mappack?

with permission of the author and some highres textures, yes