Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We are Hated :(

(05-25-2016, 07:32 PM)ForkBomb Wrote: Xonotic is developed by the people and for the people.
That's at least a positive Smile
But of course none of the QL fanboys can respect that.
I am pretty sure some do. There are many people here who have been playing QL before or are still playing it. It's simply that not everybody knows about Xonotic and what it actually is. Plus, people on Youtube often post comments which are rather prejudiced. So, in my opinion, one shouldn't give much attention to those.

(05-25-2016, 10:18 PM)ForkBomb Wrote: The graphics arguments are just insane. I mean old graphics in a new game should not stop you from playing it - the gameplay is what matters
I mostly agree but wouldn't you rather play a nice looking game than something that looks like rubbish (apart from the gameplay)? And with "nice looking" I mean the style and art-direction the game is made with. Very often people confuse "good graphics" with "good art-style".

(05-25-2016, 10:18 PM)ForkBomb Wrote: video games are not visual arts
Oh dear. Yes, of course, games are art! And especially visual art. As well as film and music is art, video games, which combine these two, are art! Look at the different roles of a typical developer studio. How are some of them called? Character Artist, Environment Artist, FX Artist, Technical Artist, Texture Artist, ...

(05-27-2016, 05:17 AM)Maddin Wrote:
(05-25-2016, 07:32 PM)ForkBomb Wrote: Xonotic is developed by the people and for the people.
That's at least a positive Smile
But of course none of the QL fanboys can respect that.
I am pretty sure some do. There are many people here who have been playing QL before or are still playing it. It's simply that not everybody knows about Xonotic and what it actually is. Plus, people on Youtube often post comments which are rather prejudiced. So, in my opinion, one shouldn't give much attention to those.

(05-25-2016, 10:18 PM)ForkBomb Wrote: The graphics arguments are just insane. I mean old graphics in a new game should not stop you from playing it - the gameplay is what matters
I mostly agree but wouldn't you rather play a nice looking game than something that looks like rubbish (apart from the gameplay)? And with "nice looking" I mean the style and art-direction the game is made with. Very often people confuse "good graphics" with "good art-style".

(05-25-2016, 10:18 PM)ForkBomb Wrote: video games are not visual arts
Oh dear. Yes, of course, games are art! And especially visual art. As well as film and music is art, video games, which combine these two, are art! Look at the different roles of a typical developer studio. How are some of them called? Character Artist, Environment Artist, FX Artist, Technical Artist, Texture Artist, ...
I was just saying that we shouldn't treat video games as they were "all about graphics."
Although it is possible to make a game unplayable because of the graphics, it's not as easy to ruin games this way as many people seem to think

Well, one thing to keep in mind is that people tend to hate open source programs, just like they tend to hate this. Just stating the truth. In the end, it doesn't matter how good an open source program is, because people tend to worship big commercial programs, even if they are not as good.

In my opinion religion should be separated from computer gaming for the purposes of this forum. As much as I am aware that for a religious person religion manifests itself in all aspects of daily life, it is a question of tolerance and respect to also acknowledge that other people's beliefs might differ, bearing the risk of conflicts that have nothing to do with the subject matter of this forum. This is an arena FPS gaming community - explosiveness is strictly virtual around here, whereas religion has a lot of real life explosive potential. For this reason I kindly ask you to refrain from seeking opportunities to link to exclusively religious content on this forum. Thank you for your understanding.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!