Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tomb v1r2

My latest map, the Tomb. I figured Xonotic would need a small 1-on-1-ish map with an ancient theme and layout. Inspired from the map Joust in UT2004, but not in any way a port of that map nor similar to it. Intended for inclusion with Xonotic, though I don't know if it's good enough. More detail to be added later.

Yes, the little lakes are horizontal warpzones you can go through. Jumping through one throws you up through the other, which is really fun Smile Also, I challenge anyone to find the switch for the trap door (the stairs lowering to the lava pit) without looking at the map in NetRadiant Big Grin

The music and fire sounds are from OpenGameArt.org and GPL. Song link, fire sounds link. The egypt models are from the Facing Worlds port, and hopefully GPL too (no idea though). Map download (beta 1): link 1, link 2.

[Image: evsgmbnxeggbs9ogst14_thumb.jpg] [Image: i6v4vb2n47ypue74q7g9_thumb.jpg] [Image: u7yvoxyw60a4hdilvlpc_thumb.jpg] [Image: dpprdnwoto2b6kri4hk3_thumb.jpg] [Image: rmqx10xqxwtlvpsh39zh_thumb.jpg] [Image: 8hxhwrvebdrr9fltta3d_thumb.jpg] [Image: xdpzsnhyaswjawrd50dq_thumb.jpg] [Image: v4yjtxt1rzpqhoc1u8vn_thumb.jpg] [Image: kbbtxrbb97cmmhj1xewu_thumb.jpg] [Image: j4ksfkdfocxfd3d040j0_thumb.jpg] [Image: d71nkk6vd9tnzt474o_thumb.jpg] [Image: p2uvzrjxcf2ih6qdn10_thumb.jpg]

---- V1R1: ----

Updated map to v1r1 (which means it's finished as far as I'm concerned). Changes include:

- More detail and architecture, including more ambient sounds and plants.

- Sounds for the (secret) pit door.

- Minor change to some items.

- Use stormkeep2 warpzone textures and shader. Warpzones now have a wavery surface and are colored in the color of their base (they can't deform any more than this however, because that would look ugly).

- Bury warpzones a little deeper and make bridges structural, which should theoretically improve performance a tiny little bit.

Known issues:

- Map gives 'spawnpoint in solid' warnings. I tried putting them high enough, but it seems even more is needed. Imho someone should make the spawnpoint model in NetRadiant represent the exact bounds of the player. Might fix this some other time since it's not that urgent.

Download link 1, download link 2, download link 3.

[Image: 4kp71kfaxyk9yqb8dvt_thumb.jpg] [Image: 29b9bvxhkmc4a5ujirna_thumb.jpg] [Image: zsnm7gu9kfrkol7ytqy_thumb.jpg] [Image: 9iuwly7gm86ak8fsikn2_thumb.jpg] [Image: z2nxp54bho0kkfmtqnl_thumb.jpg] [Image: 70dki3p1xqo7pxtyhd52_thumb.jpg] [Image: mn2wh54esuhshko02yec_thumb.jpg] [Image: 4wqbaq04bbqod6ema91q_thumb.jpg] [Image: cqor2ygfjudu15msd23f_thumb.jpg] [Image: z8clnyj34ahoj9un1f_thumb.jpg] [Image: 2w70tj3sl1o8eqse0uup_thumb.jpg] [Image: fhlqfnp7rwrcz6klv577_thumb.jpg] [Image: e8v6kpd01dst55vkfo4o_thumb.jpg] [Image: 9mfsa1dhk383gxr9s4ob_thumb.jpg] [Image: iwl7ajstgihv45eehj5_thumb.jpg] [Image: su77zjqi7jr5iqtcpq35_thumb.jpg]

---- V1R2: ----

Another update, mostly for bug fixing.

- Fixed the spawn point that was stuck in solid. Terrain was covering it, so that was the reason.

- Fixed all terrain vs. ground z-fights (that I could find).

- Replaced a texture with its brighter version which looks better.

- Tweaked a few geometrical details, including some player clips and added four round pillars over the center walls.

Download link 1, download link 2, download link 3.

[Image: sp70d9cudtpfleyuh1_thumb.jpg] [Image: ga1ijslpa1q9bj023e2n_thumb.jpg]

Nice work you seem to be a fast mapper Smile

Pros:
-Great 1v1ctf layout
-Good weapon and item layout, with focus on strongest weapons

Cons:
-detailing inappropriate, I don't think Egypt style suites game. Bio dome or teleporter research facility seems much more appropriate given the layout. Plants hanging from walls and hydroponics seems to be a much better theme?
-dislike the detailing of the large bricks with brick sticking out
- lighting bugs on dunes outside dome, but I'm sure u noticed them

Great Work Smile
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

Damn. I find myself wanting to give you positive reputations all the time. This board needs a possibility to give multiple ratings. Or at least more than one positive reputation point.

From the screenshots I'd say impressive and high quality work again. Awesome.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(07-08-2010, 11:38 PM)Cuinnton Wrote: Cons:
-detailing inappropriate, I don't think Egypt style suites game. Bio dome or teleporter research facility seems much more appropriate given the layout.
Plants hanging from walls and hydroponics seems to be a much better theme?
Maybe it's from a planet full of yellow dust Wink

(07-08-2010, 11:38 PM)Cuinnton Wrote: -dislike the detailing of the large bricks with brick sticking out
Telling from the screenshots it looks ok, adds more interesting detail (and stuff to jump on) Smile

(07-08-2010, 11:38 PM)Cuinnton Wrote: - lighting bugs on dunes outside dome, but I'm sure u noticed them
This looks like a mountain filled with solarpanels, which from the screeny looks awesome Big Grin
Fix the bug and add something like that there, seems like a great detail to add Wink
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

(07-08-2010, 08:25 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: Also, I challenge anyone to find the switch for the trap door (the stairs lowering to the lava pit) without looking at the map in NetRadiant Big Grin

I DID IT by standing at the RL and spamming HLAC. Does this make me a better human?

Also I have my radar with zoommode 1 (so zoomed with +zoom), so I can see the whole map in the radar. However, using this setting, the map only takes up a small portion of the space available:

[Image: lolradar.jpg]

Is this a necessary evil, or can something be done to fix it?
[Image: 769.png]

(07-08-2010, 11:38 PM)Cuinnton Wrote: -detailing inappropriate, I don't think Egypt style suites game. Bio dome or teleporter research facility seems much more appropriate given the layout. Plants hanging from walls and hydroponics seems to be a much better theme?

It was aimed to be a small tomb with an Egypt-ish layout. I personally like how it looks... perhaps not so realistic compared to ancient human architecture, but it's supposed to be on another planet either way Tongue Plants falling from the walls are a great idea however... I might take such a model from DesertFactory.

As for suiting Xonotic, I once again took inspiration from UT. It has several Egypt themed maps with modern architecture around the place, and it looks pretty good that way Smile

(07-08-2010, 11:38 PM)Cuinnton Wrote: -dislike the detailing of the large bricks with brick sticking out

They seemed like a pretty idea, to make the walls even more complex. You can't sit on them or touch them however, because I player clipped the walls. Players could get stuck when walking against them otherwise.

(07-08-2010, 11:38 PM)Cuinnton Wrote: - lighting bugs on dunes outside dome, but I'm sure u noticed them

Yeah, I seen that. I get this issue on many maps, and it happens with patch meshes (shadows being too strong and with little squares on them). I think it's a q3map2 bug with lightmaps since it just happens, so I can't do anything about it unless it's fixed there afaik.

(07-09-2010, 04:40 AM)harry_ftw Wrote: I DID IT by standing at the RL and spamming HLAC. Does this make me a better human?

Also I have my radar with zoommode 1 (so zoomed with +zoom), so I can see the whole map in the radar. However, using this setting, the map only takes up a small portion of the space available:

[Image: lolradar.jpg]

Is this a necessary evil, or can something be done to fix it?

You must shoot a hidden button from standing in the center. A hint would be: "aim slightly up and a little further" Smile

I Will check this out tonight when I get back in, screenshots look awesome.

More so I want to take a look at the item placement, 3 healthpacks all next to each other in one screenshot seems excessive, so want to see if things could be tweaked better, health/armour/ammo mainly.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Thanks, glad you like Smile Just for the info, I'm working on it again now and may release a beta 2 tonight.

The overall look is very good. I feel like in an Asimov book on an abandoned space colony where sand is invading everything. Maybe could use a little more destruction signs here and there though.

(07-08-2010, 08:25 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: The egypt models are from the Facing Worlds port, and hopefully GPL too (no idea though).
Could you/anyone check? I understand it's a major requirement for the inclusion in the release, and I'd love to see this map in. Also, are there only low-quality textures for the statues?

(07-08-2010, 08:25 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: Yes, the little lakes are horizontal warpzones you can go through. Jumping through one throws you up through the other, which is really fun Smile

The lakes seem awesome, though I can't see them in game... and quoting myself from the screenshot thread: may I request some sort of "veil" like the one in front of stormkeep's warpzones? It makes the difference between fast and slower computers less significant...

It would even appear more realistic here, seems some sort of water...

(07-08-2010, 08:25 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: Also, I challenge anyone to find the switch for the trap door (the stairs lowering to the lava pit) without looking at the map in NetRadiant Big Grin

r_showbboxes?

(07-09-2010, 07:37 AM)tankmiche Wrote: The overall look is very good. I feel like in an Asimov book on an abandoned space colony where sand is invading everything. Maybe could use a little more destruction signs here and there though.

Not planning to add any ruins, but I'm working on adding other details now Smile

(07-09-2010, 07:37 AM)tankmiche Wrote: Could you/anyone check? I understand it's a major requirement for the inclusion in the release, and I'd love to see this map in. Also, are there only low-quality textures for the statues?

There's no text file mentioning that with the Facing Worlds map, so I don't know. If anyone else knows that would be appreciated. As for higher quality textures, I doubt, though that would be useful. I'd also like to know if there are any other Xonotic adapted models I could use instead, of the same theme and looks.

(07-09-2010, 07:37 AM)tankmiche Wrote: The lakes seem awesome, though I can't see them in game... and quoting myself from the screenshot thread: may I request some sort of "veil" like the one in front of stormkeep's warpzones? It makes the difference between fast and slower computers less significant...

It would even appear more realistic here, seems some sort of water...

I'm planning to give those warpzones ripples just like the Stormkeep ones. Perhaps I'll be doing that in the beta 2 tonight.

(07-09-2010, 07:37 AM)tankmiche Wrote: r_showbboxes?

Oops, didn't know that one Tongue Still curious if anyone can find it without using that though.

Shame that the warpzones slow down performance a lot, try enabling r_speeds 1 and you'll see that there are often 3-5 renders! I think you could fix some of that by putting them into a more enclosed place, or perhaps joining the two surfaces together along the length of the map (and taking care to block it out with vis as good as you can, maybe making the hole a bit deeper)
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

I will look at it when I have a chance. Screenshots look good, however, as someone else said, it doesn't fit the futuristic style of xonotic. But if it pleases the powers that be...
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

i think he could make it fit the "theme" simply by making it a futuristic research base set up inside an ancient tomb. as far as i can tell, it really wouldn't take much effort to achieve that.

looks nice. I'll download when you post the update Smile
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

I agree, the map looks good enough to fit into the official release, UT2004 was futuristic, but it also included maps similar to this, which again is from his inspiration so I don't see the problem.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

(07-09-2010, 02:53 PM)kojn^ Wrote: I agree, the map looks good enough to fit into the official release, UT2004 was futuristic, but it also included maps similar to this, which again is from his inspiration so I don't see the problem.

Cool map and theme. The only issue I have, is that the framerates are way below that of stock Nexuiz maps, and I also am getting bad "hitches" in FPS as I move about the map. I noticed this also in your Red Planet map. I am not sure this is your fault though, there are also hitches in stock Nexuiz maps using Xonotic to run them, but just not as pronounced. These hitches don't occur in Nex 2.5.2, so it seems like something is possibly wrong with the engine.

Updated to v1r1, see the bottom of the first post.

NOTE: If you're getting missing textures on the tree and plant models, enable the nexuiz compat pack. The models I used were moved to Xonotic data, but the textures are still in the nexcompatpack. Planning to fix this in a branch tomorrow.

NOTE 2: Map also available in mirceakitsune/tomb on the xonotic-maps.pk3dir git.

v1r2 now out, fixing several bugs like the stuck player spawn. See the first post again.

You should also set this map up for DOM. It's a very nice map, if a little slow in FPS. I really like to see mappers supporting less-played gametypes such as ONS.
Glad to see that redplanet was the rule rather than the exception Smile
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

(07-10-2010, 04:02 PM)Roanoke Wrote: You should also set this map up for DOM. It's a very nice map, if a little slow in FPS. I really like to see mappers supporting less-played gametypes such as ONS.
Glad to see that redplanet was the rule rather than the exception Smile

Thanks Smile It's already set up for DOM as well. As for the FPS, I can't do much there unfortunately. It has 4 warpzones, and many particle generators (which I tried to reduce the particle counts of). I buried the warpzones deeper though, which should have improved FPS a little.

Yeah, not much you can do. However, I find r_water 0 to significantly improve performance (you can't see through the warpzones, but you usually can't see anything significant anyway).

Lower the reflection quality first to see if there's an improvement there Smile

(07-11-2010, 12:25 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Lower the reflection quality first to see if there's an improvement there Smile

Changing reflection quality doesn't improve anything from my tests. Disabling reflections however improves FPS quite a bit. So I guess the real problem are the extra warpzone renders.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CTF-LavaGiant v1r2 Black-Dragon131 10 10,751 05-05-2010, 05:47 AM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune