Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 19 Vote(s) - 4.37 Average
Screenshots of what you're doing.

Cortez666 - the new placement of Nex and it's surrounding in Evilspace looks good to me Smile
Anyway - the brushes are a bit blocky, is there a way to export them to Blender, change and import again? To add more geometric detail.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Wow...like all the screenshots! Smile

What about (the old) evilspace? May reducing some of these yellow-black stripes? There are too much of this "warning"-lines. Giving it an old style? Wink

Looks good, cuinnton. I just hope the textures are high enough quality Tongue

(04-19-2010, 02:45 PM)Debugger Wrote: What about (the old) evilspace? May reducing some of these yellow-black stripes? There are too much of this "warning"-lines. Giving it an old style? Wink

the amount of stripes is the same

Quote:the amount of stripes is the same

Yeah, it is? cannot remember any stripes in the old evilspace Wink

Just playing around a bit..

[Image: fd24oiwvlj12ifprznr.png]

[Image: 9cza5kyqm7leuzpnho1x.png]

after effects right?

(04-20-2010, 01:30 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: after effects right?

Right.

although it would probably be possible to achieve those lens flares in the game. They probably wouldn't look as good. but hey, it's progress.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

(04-20-2010, 03:04 PM)theShadow Wrote: although it would probably be possible to achieve those lens flares in the game.

Would be awesome Smile

Should make a flare gun designed to blind people Tongue

Testing colour settings on different maps..

[Image: ae_38atq.png]

[Image: ae_4hbdj.png]

Looks good...
The questions are: "Is Darkplaces able of making lens flare?" and "At what cost in terms of frames/second?"
Thanks to the devs!
PM me if you need something... I'll be happy to help for any translation work needed...

Photo 
Heaven Skybox made in Terragen 2 Deep, 2048x2048 version. But I think 1024x1024 would also look ok, texture memory may be an issue for some.

[Image: farewell_test1.jpg]
[Image: farewell_test2.jpg]

that looks good Smile is it possible to make the skybox-resolution an option? or integrated in texture quality...

are you only working on the skybox or on the whole map? cause i found some small things:
theres a part of the left side of the first picture illuminated, but nowhere else is light, this is wrong Smile
there are vertical stripes at the wall, which is too regular, but i guess it's too difficult to make it more messy with the textures...
the floor-texture of the first picture has really low quality.
and the change from the stairs to the wall is too abrupt.

and a technical question: is something in the skymap a "valid" light source for hdr?

oo cool morfar. Im glad you have the hang of things. Did you get some camera angles a slightly different shade to the rest and you had to correct them in GIMP in terragen?

I think 2048 is needed because it maintains zoom detail when in zoom, unlike 1024
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

Some neutral skyboxes will be quite useful. Looking good, morfar.
(Though you should use thumbnails Wink )

I'm not really a fan of this "ultra high res" idea.
I prefer uncompressed images over high res jpg images. It doesn't make too much of a difference in quality anyway:

Distant Sunset (jpg, 2048*2048*6, zoom factor 8)
Newsky Asteroids (tga, 1024*1024*6, 4 times smaller in overall image size, zoom factor 8)

Anyway, the image-quality of textures should not be measured by resolution.
(Sorry for the deviation)

(04-22-2010, 03:04 PM)jaykay Wrote: that looks good Smile is it possible to make the skybox-resolution an option? or integrated in texture quality...

Thanks.
No not currently. I think LH needs to make that engine change.

(04-22-2010, 03:04 PM)jaykay Wrote: are you only working on the skybox or on the whole map? cause i found some small things:
theres a part of the left side of the first picture illuminated, but nowhere else is light, this is wrong Smile
there are vertical stripes at the wall, which is too regular, but i guess it's too difficult to make it more messy with the textures...
the floor-texture of the first picture has really low quality.
and the change from the stairs to the wall is too abrupt.

I only worked on the skybox, and the shader which illuminates the map.
The bright yellow light comes directly from the sun. The darker orange light comes from the atmosphere.
I see nothing wrong Tongue

(04-22-2010, 03:04 PM)jaykay Wrote: and a technical question: is something in the skymap a "valid" light source for hdr?

I don't know what you mean. But I had HDR on when I took the screens.

Seeing as we dont have a "videos of what you are doing" thread yet I'll just post this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aGZqx_0i...r_embedded

Been working on making a shinier, nicer looking version of hydronex. Once I have the base areas looking good enough I'll maybe consider any other layout changes etc. Still early days for it yet.

Please provide some feedback. The video isnt the best quality and as of this post youtube is still processing it. I'd like suggestions on how I can make the map look and play better.

Goodness what you guys are doing is simply beautiful Big Grin

morfar: i wondered why only part of the left wall gets light of the sun. and why doesn't e.g. the wall above the ammunition get light from the sun?

what i meant with the hdr.... when you have a light in the map and enable hdr or bloom, it gets a glow around it. to make sure we talk about the same setting, look at this: http://www.xnainfo.com/file.php?file=101

and if the glowing object is partly overlapped by another obejct, the glow "overlaps" the object. does this also work with light sources in the skymap? because on the second screenshot it doesn't look like this on the left edge of the wall.

i hope you understand what i mean Smile

sepelio: my obligatory nitpicks (don't get me wrong, the map is really great):

the thin "towers" (i don't have the right word) around the map (0:30 - 0:40) don't make sense. maybe place flood lights on them to make the map more arena like.... i don't know.

imho the grey room at 0:45 is too grey after the red rest of the map.
the portals in this room emit light, which is wrong because they are black Smile

around 1:00 you can see shadows at the bottom of the "pool" coming from the "bridges". this means there must be a light source directly above tha map, but i think there isn't one Smile maybe place a weak sun there? or a white dwarf (something like this)

maybe the map is a bit too large? but i can't say that because i didn't play for a while.

and this map needs the new warpzones. the old ones are really not fitting in a high-detail-map like this Smile

Ah the skybox/towers in it is just a placeholder I was playing around with, once I get hold of something nicer I'll be putting that in. I will however add some red into that room. I also want to replace the teleport textures with something better but I've not decided what yet.

(04-24-2010, 04:52 AM)jaykay Wrote: morfar: i wondered why only part of the left wall gets light of the sun. and why doesn't e.g. the wall above the ammunition get light from the sun?

Oh, that. That's because the sun is not directly shining on that wall.
The sun angle is exactly 270 degrees, so the flat wall is not hit by the sun.
The general lighting looks good in-game, I see why that screenshot may be fooling you.
But I still think this is correct behavior. Q3MAP2 could support better sun lighting if it knew how big the sun diameter was.

(04-24-2010, 04:52 AM)jaykay Wrote: what i meant with the hdr.... when you have a light in the map and enable hdr or bloom, it gets a glow around it. to make sure we talk about the same setting, look at this: http://www.xnainfo.com/file.php?file=101

and if the glowing object is partly overlapped by another obejct, the glow "overlaps" the object. does this also work with light sources in the skymap? because on the second screenshot it doesn't look like this on the left edge of the wall.

i hope you understand what i mean Smile

Sounds like an engine feature more than a skybox feature Smile
DP's HDR is not real HDR, but just bloom with better quality.
(04-22-2010, 05:49 PM)Cuinnton Wrote: oo cool morfar. Im glad you have the hang of things. Did you get some camera angles a slightly different shade to the rest and you had to correct them in GIMP in terragen?

I think 2048 is needed because it maintains zoom detail when in zoom, unlike 1024

No, I did not correct anything in GIMP. This sky did not need that. (GI disabled).
But I have an other sky which is clearly affected by Terragen 2 bug(s), shadows get misaligned between images, and I can see tiny tiny seems between images. fov is correct, and GI is disabled, so I don't know why.

(04-23-2010, 03:07 AM)sev Wrote: Some neutral skyboxes will be quite useful. Looking good, morfar.
(Though you should use thumbnails Wink )

I'm not really a fan of this "ultra high res" idea.
I prefer uncompressed images over high res jpg images. It doesn't make too much of a difference in quality anyway:

Distant Sunset (jpg, 2048*2048*6, zoom factor 8)
Newsky Asteroids (tga, 1024*1024*6, 4 times smaller in overall image size, zoom factor 8)

Anyway, the image-quality of textures should not be measured by resolution.
(Sorry for the deviation)

What I got out of this is "Make high-res tga textures, guys."

Can we have some screenshots in this thread plals?
nomnomnomnonmonm:
"the best trolls are indistinguishable from idiots"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Weapon shader isn't doing as I'm intending to do LegendGuard 0 1,047 04-04-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  Videos of what you're doing. FruitieX 134 152,754 04-01-2017, 04:50 AM
Last Post: SpiKe