Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 19 Vote(s) - 4.37 Average
Screenshots of what you're doing.

(09-15-2012, 05:33 PM)Justin Wrote: Great job, Cortez. Looks exactly like Darkzone middle area. It looks amazing, no doubts, you are experienced, and everybody's happy.
But why again? Maybe something unique now?

Why not trying to perfect a style? the ex set is the most complete set in xonotic (i also noticed that while i was working on the ctf contest map)and style wise Darkzone could be improved.

(09-15-2012, 10:39 PM)hutty Wrote: experimenting is very good ... but for a contest (im assuming this for the contest) I would stick to what I do best ...
nope it isnt for the contest. (for this 3 reasons: no time, no feedback, no motivation )
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

typicality yes "uniqueness" I don't think so.

Ok, I decided to try to diversify my style and do what Cortez likes doing: add pipes.

[Image: pipes.jpg]
Map's name is Inprisoned and... yeah, Its a duel map.

(09-20-2012, 02:23 PM)Justin Wrote: Ok, I decided to try to diversify my style and do what Cortez likes doing: add pipes.
funny
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Nice one Justin. Tongue

Currently I'm working on improving our Pickup bot (XPickBot, the Python one) to include some interface to Xonstat. The goal is e.g. to have auto-suggested teams in modes like CTF, which are based on the player elos.

To get this going, a way to retrieve Xonstat data in an easily parsable format is needed. That's where JSON comes in, and here's how it looks:

Yes, I also prefer the normal Xonstat output. The JSON output contains all the same data that you can see on the player info page, so you don't really need the normal output to see the info, but ... well, you see Wink

Now that this works, I'll move on ro the remaining tasks for XPickBot. I created a channel for testing at #xonotic.pickup.test @ QuakeNet, but since my bot is running locally it will not always be online. I'd like to invite those of you who are interested to hang around in this channel; then I'll ping you if I think something interesting shows up Smile
[Image: 9216.png] Web: YouTubeSoundCloudFlickrzykure.de[unconnected]
IRC: #uc.xonotic #xonotic #xonotic.de #xonotic.pickup

Quote:The goal is e.g. to have auto-suggested teams in modes like CTF, which are based on the player elos.

Nice! I was hoping someone would create something like this. Smile

Justin what about in the place of generic pipes add a gun rack for machine guns? The level is very alien 2 I think and would benefit more with something of a bit more practical and it might enhance the level esthetically. In this particular case anyway. That's just my view anyway.
However if you do keep the pipes okay but the size of them is strange given that they join into the warp portal. That's just a subjective feeling. Perhaps make that pipe smaller?

Zykure: FINALLY!!!!THANK YOU!!!

(09-21-2012, 04:43 AM)rocknroll237 Wrote: Nice! I was hoping someone would create something like this. Smile

The algorithm works quite well already: One player is added to one of the two teams in each step. Also each team has a current "mean elo" value, which allows to pick the "best" player for the team from the pool. The algorithm starts with assigning the best player (highest elo) to one team, then players are added to the two teams alternatively. If the current team's mean elo is lower than the other one's, the best player is picked; if it's the other case, the worst player is picked. At the end, all players which are not registered yet (i.e. the bot doesn't know their Xonstat #id) will be randomly assigned to the teams.

I hope that this will result in balanced teams, but it needs to be tested with more people once it is fully implemented Big Grin

Here's an example of how the teams will end up if we have six players in the pool, with elo values of [ 100, 250, 500, 500, 750, 1000 ] (yes, these numbers are not realistic Wink):
1000 -> Team A (best player to A in first step) [mean elos: A=1000 > B=0]
750 -> Team B (best remaining player to B due to A>B) [mean elos: A=1000 > B=750]
100 -> Team A (worst remaining player to A due to A>b) [mean elos: A=550 < B=750]
250 -> Team B (worst remaining player to B due to A<B) [mean elos: A=550 > B=500]
500 -> Team A (worst remaining player to A due to A>B) [mean elos: A=533 > B=500]
500 -> Team B (best remaining player to B due to A>B) [mean elos: A=533 > B=500]

In the end, we have two teams with mean elos of 533 and 500 in this case. I don't know if this algorithm gives the best result; if anyone has another suggestion, let's hear it! =)

Another idea which goes into the same direction is choosing the team captains by elos. Simply picking the two best players is not the best way to go imho, since then always the same people will be captains. A suggestion from asyyy was to randomly pick one player as captain, then pick the other one with the lowest elo difference. In the example from above, the captains would then be (1000, 750), (750, 500), (500, 500), or (250, 100), while choices like (1000, 100) are not possible.
[Image: 9216.png] Web: YouTubeSoundCloudFlickrzykure.de[unconnected]
IRC: #uc.xonotic #xonotic #xonotic.de #xonotic.pickup

You didn't pick the most flattering way to look at json Tongue

My first map, named "incandescence". Still needs a lot of lighting work but overall I'm quite happy with it. Let's just say there is a profusion of paths available, both above and beneath the map. Intended as a weapons ctf map, but might be an acceptable duel map too.

Special thanks to Player_2 for his patience with a noob mapper, and OopsyBear for being my buddy mapper.

Also, Mudkip for "<smoke.mudKip> this is like eggandbacon with class <DimBulb> that was the most backhanded compliment ever"

Attached Files
.jpg   incan.jpg (Size: 71.67 KB / Downloads: 335)
.jpg   incan2.jpg (Size: 63.98 KB / Downloads: 333)

[Image: KXZrendering_zps54f58522.jpg]
metsu ZeRoQL (Stats) - <@nifrek> true, I guess in tdm you also dont always have your perfect choice of weapon, especially when ZeRoQL is controlling nex Dodgy
KILLING X ZONE - Xonotic community movie

Maaaan! WOW UPLOAD IT! UPLOAD!

And here's mine:

[Image: moc1.jpg]

[Image: moc2.jpg]

funny

I reckon there's still some room to add some more cortez style piping Justin! Looks nice so far.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

(09-24-2012, 01:08 PM)kojn^ Wrote: "add some more cortez style piping"

funny

Justin, just a side note:
The hazard striping should be visible on the top of surfaces as a border around dangerous areas, the way you're currently using it to texture the sides looks like it would never be done IRL because it's useless to whoever's using the environment.

As if the whole level design would make sense IRL. What kind of building shall that be? Smile

@DimBulb: That already looks extremely nice, good job Smile

@ZeroQL: Upload it!

Thanks for information, S1lencer:

[Image: 444.jpg] [Image: 333.jpg]

Some walls are still bare and boring but... Things are going well.

And Kojn: Yea, Im going to add many pipes!

After today's work, here's where I'm at so far on my first beta for my duel map. It was tough to find areas where I could take a screenshot and have most of it somewhat textured.. Much of it is still one ugly concrete texture hehe.

Progress has been somewhat slow since school started up again :*(

todo (first 2 pics):
-lighting.. currently lit using mostly surface lights. I would like to add some more accent lighting as well as giving the current lights a slightly dirtier glow as it is currently purely white.
-more details and some refining of stuff that looks odd to me

[Image: tZm5teg]
[Image: tZm5uNg]

I almost wasnt going to post this last one as it is so far from what I want in the end. I have been experimenting with skyportals and how to create geometry which seamlessly joins the skyportal with the rest of the level.

I have considered a few ideas for sky color/atmosphere.. Currently what I am going for is a polluted smoggy feel. I feel like I am still quite a ways off in terms of fog color and density. The windows will also receive an envmap once I have all of the buildings completed so that they will appear to be reflective and actually look like windows. The large concrete building is a placeholder until I can go in and finish it. One of the buildings that is textured needs to be lit much better (it is obvious which one :p). I would also like to create another map with nothing but a bunch of buildings and whatever sky + fog combo I end up using. I will use this to generate a cubemap to use as my final skybox. This will let me create the illusion that there are many more buildings in the background without actually having to render any.

[Image: tZm5teQ]

(09-25-2012, 04:29 PM)Justin Wrote: Thanks for information, S1lencer:

[Image: 444.jpg] [Image: 333.jpg]

Some walls are still bare and boring but... Things are going well.

And Kojn: Yea, Im going to add many pipes!

Sorry but imo those stripes look ugly and don't fit very well. (if you are just posting pictures and don't want feedback, ignore this post please)

(09-27-2012, 12:26 AM)Revenant Wrote: After today's work, here's where I'm at so far on my first beta for my duel map. It was tough to find areas where I could take a screenshot and have most of it somewhat textured.. Much of it is still one ugly concrete texture hehe.

todo (first 2 pics):
-lighting.. currently lit using mostly surface lights. I would like to add some more accent lighting as well as giving the current lights a slightly dirtier glow as it is currently purely white.

I almost wasnt going to post this last one as it is so far from what I want in the end. I have been experimenting with skyportals and how to create geometry which seamlessly joins the skyportal with the rest of the level.

I have considered a few ideas for sky color/atmosphere.. Currently what I am going for is a polluted smoggy feel. I feel like I am still quite a ways off in terms of fog color and density. The windows will also receive an envmap once I have all of the buildings completed so that they will appear to be reflective and actually look like windows. The large concrete building is a placeholder until I can go in and finish it. One of the buildings that is textured needs to be lit much better (it is obvious which one :p). I would also like to create another map with nothing but a bunch of buildings and whatever sky + fog combo I end up using. I will use this to generate a cubemap to use as my final skybox. This will let me create the illusion that there are many more buildings in the background without actually having to render any.

That map looks quite awesome. I like its rather city-ish feel and architecture Smile Also love the third screenshot with the yellow fog and those towers.

BUT, I dislike how repetitive the eXx textures look in the first two images. I would suggest using textures from more packages that look similar, as eXx aren't the only good ones. I would also say this for Justin's map above.

(09-27-2012, 04:35 AM)MirceaKitsune Wrote:
(09-27-2012, 12:26 AM)Revenant Wrote: After today's work, here's where I'm at so far on my first beta for my duel map. It was tough to find areas where I could take a screenshot and have most of it somewhat textured.. Much of it is still one ugly concrete texture hehe.

todo (first 2 pics):

That map looks quite awesome. I like its rather city-ish feel and architecture Smile Also love the third screenshot with the yellow fog and those towers.

BUT, I dislike how repetitive the eXx textures look in the first two images. I would suggest using textures from more packages that look similar, as eXx aren't the only good ones. I would also say this for Justin's map above.

I have a great feeling of nostalgia looking at these pictures because it reminds me of unreal '99 except way better graphics of course. Also reminds me of Mega City 1 too.

(09-27-2012, 04:55 AM).Danny. Wrote: I have a great feeling of nostalgia looking at these pictures because it reminds me of unreal '99 except way better graphics of course. Also reminds me of Mega City 1 too.

Xonotic and Nexuiz always did / do this for me too, which is another reason I love them. Although it still feels like it's missing part of that dark and dynamic feel UT had, and especially music as good as it. I totally miss the music single-player games had in the early 00's (like Unreal or DeusEx), if only a music artist could gift us with some...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Weapon shader isn't doing as I'm intending to do LegendGuard 0 1,048 04-04-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  Videos of what you're doing. FruitieX 134 152,761 04-01-2017, 04:50 AM
Last Post: SpiKe