Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[NEED HELP] Video Editing and cl_capturevideo (ogv)

Hi,

I've been trying to edit some videos with the files outputted from cl_capturevideo 1- when normally I've been recording from an external application. While the videos are perfectly viewable, doing something like:
Code:
ffmpeg -ss 1:00 -i dpvideo005.ogv -to 00:10 -vcodec copy -acodec copy aeroclip.ogv -y 2>clipping.log
//make a 10 second clip starting from the 1 min mark without re-encoding
outputs some warnings and errors such as:
Code:
[theora @ 0000000000693ee0] 7 bits left in packet 82
[ogg @ 0000000000277060] Broken file, keyframe not correctly marked.
And the actual output file typically has some visual distortions.
log: https://p.teknik.io/uL8Cg

Some other tries to work with the files, I tried converting to another format (trying both ffmpeg and Handbrake), which resulted in dropped frames then desync'd audio. And so far my best attempt to work with these files is demuxing the audio and video streams- which I can clip from each without issue, but putting them back together with the audio sync'd with the video is an issue.

Code:
ffmpeg -i clip.ogg -i clip.ogv -vcodec copy -acodec copy  composite.ogv -y 2>composite.log
//take clipped audio stream and clipped video stream and put them a single video file without re-encoding
log: https://p.teknik.io/LGMhH

(not even re-encoding, meanwhile the big complaint is "non-monotonous (non-monotonic?) DTS")

I am wondering if the video capture is a bit wonky. I tried updating the tools to see if the issue goes away but it hasn't.
I would try .avi but I don't have the space to record past a few seconds.
Capturing these videos took hours for a single match, it'd be nice if I could still use them.

Xonotic version is v0.8.1-3169-ge7cd5c6 (autobuild from August) btw

If your intention is to upload them to Youtube, you should test if the raw footage turns out normal after uploading.

At a cost of larger file size, you could also try cl_capturevideo_ogg 0 and render them to avi instead and see if you have any luck playing with those. I have some weird glitches and distortions in my raw avis too, but they appear perfectly normal on my movie editor (sony vegas) and when uploaded directly to Youtube.

I tried handbraking some of my avis to reduce their size before as well, but what that did was perpetuate the glitching and it was then visible in vegas and youtube as well.

I wasn't going to upload to YouTube. The raw footage is actually normal for both the system media player and the web browser.

Just trying to do anything with them causes the distortions, desync, etc (which will appear viewing in browser too)- even if it was just copying the video and audio streams with no actual editing. Uncompressed avi's really aren't an option- I have just around 8 GB of space free which is about a few seconds of footage.

I'd recommend transcoding the output using ffmpeg or mencoder to another hi-fidelity format before doing any editing. See this thread posted (wow) over 6 years ago on this subject.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

What resolution are you capturing in? Shame you only have around 8GB of space free (but seriously, what the hell?).

Antibody is right that playback of raw .avi files will generally not be smooth and messed up.

I use virtualdub and lagarith lossless codec to encode my raw .avi files from Xonotic, these not only reduce the filesizes down to around a 1/3rd - 1/2 the size of the original file, they also playback smoothly in Premiere Pro which is where I do the editing work and then encode the videos to .mp4 format (even smaller file size then).

If you need a guide let me know and I can do a video of showing how it works.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

I was capturing at 1920x1080 @ 60 fps.

(12-16-2016, 10:09 AM)Antibody Wrote: I'd recommend transcoding the output using ffmpeg or mencoder to another hi-fidelity format before doing any editing. See this thread posted (wow) over 6 years ago on this subject.
I did check that thread before I posted this thread, but none of the cases seem to apply.

Issue: Nexuiz/Xonotic AVIs and OGGs not being recognized by Cinelerra or Kdenlive
The output files are recognized anyways (by ffmpeg).

Issue: Audio/Video sync in final video output
The sampling frequencies are the same between input and output.

Issue: Raw video is too big for my HD
I was already using ogv.

Issue: My video is too long for YouTube (etc), but I don't want to re-encode
Well this isn't an issue at all.

As mentioned in the opening post I tried converting to another format multiple times (multiple tools: ffmpeg, Handbrake), but there's typically warnings and errors. The resulting video has mentioned audio desync and distortions- a less common case being the timestamps on the output file so fucked up the video plays fast and the audio plays normally.

I usually try for h.264 and aac in an mp4 container since ffmpeg can losslessly concatenate clips. If you got another format to recommend, I'd love to hear it.

Append: to emphasize from the op, the unaltered videos from the game are perfectly viewable

I recently wrote a bash script to do the encoding in the background using Xvfb to take away some of the pain of using Xonotic to encode. 

Here are my encoding options used for YouTube: https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/blob/...h#L111-117

Here is a demo recorded with it and uploaded to YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN08NL3Q...e=youtu.be

(12-15-2016, 03:43 PM)Antares Wrote: Some other tries to work with the files, I tried converting to another format (trying both ffmpeg and Handbrake), which resulted in dropped frames then desync'd audio. And so far my best attempt to work with these files is demuxing the audio and video streams- which I can clip from each without issue, but putting them back together with the audio sync'd with the video is an issue.

(12-16-2016, 10:09 AM)Antibody Wrote: I'd recommend transcoding the output using ffmpeg or mencoder to another hi-fidelity format before doing any editing. See this thread posted (wow) over 6 years ago on this subject.

(12-15-2016, 03:43 PM)Antares* Wrote: Hi,

I've been trying to edit some videos with the files outputted from cl_capturevideo 1- when normally I've been recording from an external application. While the videos are perfectly viewable, doing something like:
(12-16-2016, 10:48 AM)kojn^ Wrote: Antibody is right that playback of raw .avi files will generally not be smooth and messed up.

(12-15-2016, 07:18 PM)Antares* Wrote: I wasn't going to upload to YouTube. The raw footage is actually normal for both the system media player and the web browser.

Just trying to do anything with them causes the distortions, desync, etc (which will appear viewing in browser too)- even if it was just copying the video and audio streams with no actual editing. Uncompressed avi's really aren't an option- I have just around 8 GB of space free which is about a few seconds of footage.

This thread. lol
I kind of settled on "shit is fucked".

I'm not sure what more you want given your limitations.  Video encoding as a web service?

I figured garbage in, garbage out; can't work with them. It wasn't obvious since the videos play normally, and I was a bit reluctant to give up on videos that took several hours to render.

I'd have to record with an external application like OBS, instead.

(04-12-2017, 12:01 PM)Antares* Wrote: I figured garbage in, garbage out; can't work with them. It wasn't obvious since the videos play normally, and I was a bit reluctant to give up on videos that took several hours to render.

I understand you have [valid] concerns about the quality of the raw video the engine outputs, however, I've encoded lengthy demos that had smooth output from the Xfvb setup, but your YMMV.

Quote:I'd have to record with an external application like OBS, instead.
I believe Antibody has been using this for a while exclusive now to record his map walk-throughs.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [NEED HELP] Render Replay Directly to Video File cushinga 3 624 09-11-2023, 07:11 PM
Last Post: cushinga
  [NEED HELP] video glitches in netradiant on windows 10 fabzor3 2 2,941 05-26-2017, 02:09 AM
Last Post: PinkRobot
  [SOLVED] Posting Video Dustinym 1 2,632 01-29-2016, 05:13 AM
Last Post: Mirio
  [SOLVED] Video menu causes the game to crash Divergence 8 8,852 11-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Last Post: edh
  [BUG] Mac OSX 10.9 (Possibly 10.8 as well) Video Issue sirdavesmith 0 3,101 10-24-2013, 09:07 AM
Last Post: sirdavesmith
  [SOLVED] Little issue concerning video Mk 12 11,202 08-19-2013, 07:57 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SOLVED] Quake Error "Video modes failed" on 2nd startup RpD 4 9,836 07-19-2013, 04:02 PM
Last Post: RpD
  [SOLVED] Video cards that are NOT recommended for Xonotic edh 4 6,048 01-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Last Post: edh
  [NEEDS INFO] Xonotic crashes as soon as I click 'Apply changes' in the config/video menu tuxator 5 8,500 07-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SOLVED] framestep 10 broke my video? infested999 2 4,141 01-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Last Post: PGP_Qz