Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Web facing Pickup page/site

I'd like to see a pickup/match making system as part of the Xon.org website and one of the main features or having it be a in game tab. Obviously there's IRC #xontoic.pickup but that's not really accessible with out running an IRC client and have it web based so you can register/check using the site/phone or even in game. 

Having it be web accessible would allow new players to see when a server would have players and test the game play and not  just look at an empty/bare server list.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

(08-26-2017, 08:25 PM)Lyberta Wrote: I guess it wouldn't be hard to make a web IRC widget on the site.

I'm thinking not IRC related at all but part of the site, Either a module for the forums or wordpress? I'm hoping to have some time over the next two day and will set one up using Drupal as a demo,
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

Maybe just send them to Discord? There's already a bot that connects Discord to IRC so those that want to keep on IRC don't need to join Discord.
[Image: 21975.jpg]

Quote:“To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.” - Douglas Adams

(08-27-2017, 02:32 AM)cefiar Wrote: Maybe just send them to Discord? There's already a bot that connects Discord to IRC so those that want to keep on IRC don't need to join Discord.

You can't add to a Discord pickup game from IRC, though. It just adds the bot itself Sad

Some people might already know that I already made a launcher GUI (https://github.com/DefaultUser/XonoticSimpleStarter) that integrates a very minimalistic IRC client so that you don't need to download an IRC client just for pickup and support. I think using something like that is the easiest way. The problem is that not very many ppl know about/use that launcher, so imo this launcher or something similar should be part of the Xonotic download (I'm not saying that it has to be my launcher, but that's something that already exists).
Having a web based pickup site would also mean that the pickup scene will be fragmented, unless someone is willing to write a pickup server where you can register via web, IRC, Discord and possibly other services. However this will take quite some time and it also won't be trivial how to handle users without them needing yet another account just for pickups.

We do have a dedicated page on the website right now for pickup games, but perhaps it could be better linked. It is also IRC based.

I'd rather have a lobby built into the game itself than spend time on another custom web app that still doesn't provide a seamless experience.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

(08-27-2017, 02:32 PM)Antibody Wrote: We do have a dedicated page on the website right now for pickup games, but perhaps it could be better linked. It is also IRC based.

I'd rather have a lobby built into the game itself than spend time on another custom web app that still doesn't provide a seamless experience.

The lobby would be best as that would tie in with the users in game name and not having to register.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Super Shotgun pickup Paulby 2 2,047 11-15-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: _para
  [SUGGESTION] Add pickup bot to official IRC channel? poVoq 2 2,013 06-12-2020, 02:13 PM
Last Post: poVoq
  [SUGGESTION] Official Instagib Tournaments/Pickup games vega 8 12,780 09-16-2017, 04:52 AM
Last Post: vega
  [SUGGESTION] Pickup/deploy-able turrents BuddyFriendGuy 6 14,101 05-09-2016, 06:32 PM
Last Post: tZork
  [SUGGESTION] National Flags on new Xonotic page Majki 48 38,199 07-31-2012, 08:06 PM
Last Post: aa
  [SUGGESTION] Running Xonotic in web browsers MirceaKitsune 10 9,328 02-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Akimbo pickup item Sarge999 4 4,825 11-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Cyber Killer
  [SUGGESTION] <a href="http://tinyurl.com/sydma" style="font-size: 4em;">Fix the front page NOW</a> divVerent 7 34,362 05-22-2011, 06:39 AM
Last Post: clanclanclan
  [SUGGESTION] Gamedev stackexchange site Silverburn 0 2,332 09-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Last Post: Silverburn
  [SUGGESTION] make xonotic live page mitcoes 7 9,269 04-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Last Post: od@r