Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[SUGGESTION] Ideas for singleplayer gameplay

(07-21-2010, 01:03 PM)Flying Steel Wrote: Those just respawn you, they don't revert the game state.

I don't think reverting the game state's possible, unless you restart the whole map.

(07-21-2010, 01:03 PM)Flying Steel Wrote: And you said you don't want respawning.

I did, but maybe there could be unlimited respawns for the lowest difficulty level?
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

Difficulty levels? That adds a whole new level of difficulty on the code side.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

(07-21-2010, 02:09 PM)ThePWTULN Wrote:
(07-21-2010, 01:03 PM)Flying Steel Wrote: Those just respawn you, they don't revert the game state.

I don't think reverting the game state's possible, unless you restart the whole map.

Then you have 3 choices:

1) Assault Style Respawns
2) Very Brief Levels
3) Very Frustrating Campaign
(04-01-2010, 11:21 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Yes, beveled edges are more futuristic. Like BSG and their beveled paper.
But only on one edge.

I vote for number 3. Tongue

No, really, I do.

(07-21-2010, 03:16 PM)Roanoke Wrote: Difficulty levels? That adds a whole new level of difficulty on the code side.

That won't be difficult to code. This is part of the code for the zombie:

Quote:void zombie_spawn()
{
setmodel(self,"models/monsters/zombie.dpm");
self.solid = SOLID_BBOX;
self.takedamage = DAMAGE_AIM;
self.event_damage = zombie_damage;
self.enemy = world;
self.frame = zombie_anim_spawn;
self.think = zombie_think;
self.nextthink = time + 2.1;
self.pain_finished = self.nextthink;
self.movetype = MOVETYPE_WALK;
self.health = cvar("g_monster_zombie_health")
self.velocity = '0 0 0';
self.angles = self.pos2;
self.moveto = self.origin;
self.flags = FL_MONSTER;
setorigin(self,self.pos1);
setsize(self,ZOMBIE_MIN,ZOMBIE_MAX);
}

The bit I want you to look at is this line:

Quote: self.health = cvar("g_monster_zombie_health")

All you'd need to do is change that to:
Quote:self.health = cvar("g_monster_zombie_health") * cvar("difficulty_health_multiplier")
and have a .cfg file for each difficulty level, and voila! You get a zombie that has different health depending on the difficulty level Smile

(07-21-2010, 05:05 PM)Flying Steel Wrote: Then you have 3 choices:

1) Assault Style Respawns
2) Very Brief Levels
3) Very Frustrating Campaign

Unfortunately, that's what we've got to work with.

I see your point in terms of difficulty.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

Respawns will have to make sense within the story of a particular campaign, for example in a friendly base, you could have cyber-simulations for training purposes, where you respawn within the simulation if you die in it. This would make sense simply because you wouldn't actually be dead, and you would know why since you plugged yourself into the simulation. Also, a similiar remote-control concept could be used, as was said, for remotely controlled bodies/vehicles/machines/turrets (which are of limited amount so you don't "respawn" indefinitely). So again, this wouldn't be a new concept you're thrown into at the start of a level. You would actually go to a chair and "plug" yourself in, and also be able to exit simulation/remote control at any time.

Not saying we should do this, just that it would be the best way to do it...

(07-23-2010, 02:22 PM)Beefeater Wrote: Respawns will have to make sense within the story of a particular campaign, for example in a friendly base, you could have cyber-simulations for training purposes, where you respawn within the simulation if you die in it. This would make sense simply because you wouldn't actually be dead, and you would know why since you plugged yourself into the simulation. Also, a similiar remote-control concept could be used, as was said, for remotely controlled bodies/vehicles/machines/turrets (which are of limited amount so you don't "respawn" indefinitely). So again, this wouldn't be a new concept you're thrown into at the start of a level. You would actually go to a chair and "plug" yourself in, and also be able to exit simulation/remote control at any time.

Not saying we should do this, just that it would be the best way to do it...

They don't have to make sense. There are ways that we can stick them in but I am against that.

(07-23-2010, 02:30 PM)Roanoke Wrote: They don't have to make sense. There are ways that we can stick them in but I am against that.

Exactly.

Yeah, wouldn't want any cyberpunk in your cyberpunk universe. ;p
(04-01-2010, 11:21 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Yes, beveled edges are more futuristic. Like BSG and their beveled paper.
But only on one edge.

Oh, I added a bunch of new stuff. The PDF has been updated (or is currently being updated at least...)

Went from 16 pages to 27. I added two new missions (which technically could be the same mission, but I broke it into two at a point that seemed logical... I can make it one mission if you guys want, but it seemed better as two for some reason).

Link is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ge0q9sc9n8ekh3y/script.pdf

I'm super busy with a bunch of stuff right now, so I didn't have time to wiki it. If someone could get that for me, I'd be ever so grateful. Or I can do it later. That too. Big Grin

(07-23-2010, 09:57 PM)Flying Steel Wrote: Yeah, wouldn't want any cyberpunk in your cyberpunk universe. ;p

Maybe I misread him, but I meant that we shouldn't stick it in without it making sense

I meant that we shouldn't stick it in at all.

I have a cheap idea to sort of ground the multiplayer part of the game into the singleplayer's storyline. Here it goes:

Include some sort of sports league (I would say arena, but there are many arenas) that your character runs into and competes in for a small part of the story (like a small tournament consisting of like 5 matches or something) as like a break from what he/she's doing. There would be an explanation on how nobody gets killed while competing in those and after that small part of the game a seperate campaign consisting of challenging deathmatches and the like would be accessible to the player at any time through the GUI or something. Also I'm not sure it's been decided whether or not you play as your multiplayer character, a male, or a female. If a character is specified and somehow forced, it would be possible to expand the game later on with more storylines and scenarios.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Why would an insurgent/fugitive from the law play in a sports league?

(08-03-2010, 11:16 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Why would an insurgent/fugitive from the law play in a sports league?

hehe my bad, maybe I should look at the script before posting lol
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

In case you're wondering, here's how far into my plotline I am (with the PDF version)

http://grab.by/5J1Q -- see the spot with all the line breaks splitting it into two parts? That's where I am.

I plan on trying to get the rest of it done soon. It's not like we're on a really strict timetable though, so I'm not going to put it above school or work or anything like that.

(That's zoomed out so you can see the whole thing. At 12pt, I can't fit the whole thing on my 13 inch screen plus I don't want to give away what I'm doing with the story. Tongue)

I've just rewritten a large part of the original post, to make it more in-line with what I think at the moment.

I will make more edits as things develop.

Oke cool, thanks for pitching in. I'll be reading soon while I get some things out of my way.
*goes to fetch gun*
- "Alright you .... *garble, gzztz...* ..."
*com-link dead*
[Image: duck.gif]
ai am ai.

Fix the avatar size limit please! I want my avatar gifs back! DISCRIMINATION!
Also, change my name to 'ai', these forums sucks which can't have 2 letters in the nick!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Maps that promote Tribes-like gameplay Lee_Stricklin 3 3,316 08-26-2017, 05:15 PM
Last Post: hox3d
  [SUGGESTION] Screw the brain dead bot campaign, this is what singleplayer REALLY should be Lee_Stricklin 7 6,767 05-09-2016, 01:52 PM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon model ideas - Post here! Beagle 7 6,069 04-09-2016, 02:11 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
Rainbow [SUGGESTION] More noob-friendly Xonotic: improvements that don't sacrifice gameplay lamefun 24 26,603 07-31-2015, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Drauts
  [SUGGESTION] Assault map ideas Lee_Stricklin 8 12,419 03-29-2015, 05:21 AM
Last Post: Ogger73
  [SUGGESTION] Some unique ideas about single player level design zwz 0 3,520 05-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Last Post: zwz
  [SUGGESTION] Some unique ideas about single player level design zwz 0 3,350 05-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Last Post: zwz
  [SUGGESTION] Some ideas from my FPS experience simbian 6 7,536 02-11-2014, 03:50 AM
Last Post: thimo
  [SUGGESTION] Suggestion for competitive gameplay 6v6 Electabuzz 2 5,259 11-06-2013, 07:16 AM
Last Post: Electabuzz
Exclamation [SUGGESTION] Better Singleplayer AND A better pause system satuim 13 14,050 08-27-2013, 04:47 AM
Last Post: satuim