Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum Upgrades

to be honest forums should be 100% responsive nowadays... I mostly check this forum on my phone and it's a bad experience.
I don't understand your point, new forum and not responsive design.. wrong way to go.
besides, there are some responsive themes, this one is fine: https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?action=view&pid=776
it's basically the same, just replace css.

or..
you could use this framework - w3.css, which will help you rewrite it quickly.. that's what I use :Smile some w3-half, w3-half.. it's quick. Smile

(03-10-2017, 02:44 PM)Ch4mp Wrote: words

Ignoring the fact that I've already said:

Quote:Obviously a "mobile-first" theme is up for consideration as an alternative approach.

Is there something you misunderstood about the complexity?

There is a sandbox where you can test your theories about practical responsive theme development for mybb before commenting on how the amount of effort involved.

Maybe you have some method I've overlooked and can fast track the development of such a theme. Would love the help.

sorry I didn't read your last answer and didn't know this template is so complex...
you could maybe migrate to phpBB, there's a migrate script for that and use a responsive theme.

(03-10-2017, 03:22 PM)Ch4mp Wrote: sorry I didn't read your last answer and didn't know this template is so complex...
you could maybe migrate to phpBB, there's a migrate script for that and use a responsive theme.

I should have consulted with you before doing the upgrade.

So I learn new stuff all the time. "Responsive design" is a term used for webdesign that delivers, depending on the platform the request comes from, specifically adapted versions of the page? Well ok, then obviously I was not aware of this usage of the term "responsive". Thank you for enlightening me there and apologies.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Quote:"Responsive design" is a term used for webdesign that delivers, depending on the platform the request comes from, specifically adapted versions of the page?

Not necessarily, this was an older method, still prevalent and used to reduce overall payload to mobile devices. However, CSS media queries allow you to set conditional CSS based on viewport size. CSS/Front-end frameworks help make adoption easier, but at this point, CSS3 can do a decent amount of that stuff itself and they are just becoming helpers / a common dialect.

Chrome has a pretty neat responsive design tool built into web developers tools... http://i.imgur.com/kwJohEl.png

So in theory one could just start setting up media queries at breakpoints to define new rules when the screen is at a smaller width like that screenshot so it's more friendly on those devices, but that has a lot of implications and ideally uses different underlying markup.

A good start that would at least make the forum usable is setting minimum font sizes (so it's not too small), allowing windows to resize to larger than the display area (so people can zoom in), and limiting the max image size for inline images on a page (to stop images making the page width huge).

In CSS, this is all usually done with @media elements to use specific CSS depending on the size of the screen.

If you're developing from scratch, the usual advice is develop for mobile first, then use @media elements to set CSS for larger devices. This stops the mobile device parsing the extra CSS for the larger devices, which makes it slightly faster to render.
[Image: 21975.jpg]

Quote:“To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.” - Douglas Adams

Sandbox available, PRs welcome.

Once I stop feeling like crap and can concentrate, I'll have a hack at it.

FWIW: Don't even need a sandbox. I can insert my own CSS locally (only affects me tho). Tongue
[Image: 21975.jpg]

Quote:“To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.” - Douglas Adams

Sure, for CSS modifications you can use whatever tools you like. The sandbox becomes necessary when you need to modify the forum templates, which you would have no access to otherwise.

If you enable "Put the editor in source mode by default" the view always moves down to the "Quick reply" window if you load a thread. That does not seem right?

Indeed! It seems to "click" the button with javascript once the page is loaded. For me on the default theme, it scrolls to the bottom, checks the button, then scrolls back up again. The scrolling back up part is probably missing for you for some reason.

Funniest part is the // love my hacks comment in the source code. To each his own I guess Smile
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

LOL, PinkRobot, perhaps I can shed some light:

Quote:03:08:34     @detrate │ Mirio, I added a hack, there will be a slight delay, but it will "fix it" http://pastebin.com/raw/f0Vn5n7C -- the issue lies in sceditor, but it's technically happening in an unanticipated situation as the "quick editor"                                                                                                

That's my comment, and my lazy attempt to make it slightly better.

Ah, hah! That does explain the comment Smile It does not really explain why the page needs to scroll down to begin with though. Is it SCEditor or MyBB doing that?

SCEditor is the WYSIWYG editor used by MyBB. In addition to the default "Full Editor" for a new post, we have added the "Advanced Quick Editor" plugin to display SCEditor as the default in "Quick Reply".  This is technically an unanticipated use of SCEditor inside of MyBB.

According to their documentation, *autofocus* should be disabled by default.

For whatever reason, this is not the case; if I setup breakpoints in the Javascript, I can see as soon as SCEditor is initialized, it takes focus. This can be verified in both the Default and revoxono themes.

Either SCEditor, or the plugin is the culprit.

The Xonotic forums used to have "View unread". "View new", and "Mark all read" options, I don't see them anymore with the new theme... I can still switch themes, but the missing functionality might be annoying.

"View new" is in the "Extra" menu at the top. I'll have to see where the other ones went to.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

"Mark all forums read" is now in the grey bar at the complete bottom of the page for me, which is on the default theme. It's very easy to gloss over it, as I would usually expect links there that nobody reads like Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy, etc Big Grin

There is no login button or link on the whole site, anymore. (Firefox)
I even enabled javascript, to check Big Grin

Had to click on a random "send user a PM" button, just to get to a login page here
so I could write a post about the issue. Cool

Can there be a login link in the header bar again?

(07-11-2017, 04:18 PM)nilyt Wrote: There is no login button or link on the whole site, anymore. (Firefox)
I even enabled javascript, to check Big Grin

Had to click on a random "send user a PM" button, just to get to a login page here
so I could write a post about the issue. Cool

Can there be a login link in the header bar again?

It's called "sign in", and it's at the top right corner of the forum pages, around the same height as the xonotic logo in the header.

(07-11-2017, 04:21 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: It's called "sign in", and it's at the top right corner of the forum pages, around the same height as the xonotic logo in the header.

Okay, if you say so.

Haven't found it yet in my version of reality. Confused

[Image: VvTD2qH.png]

(07-11-2017, 04:38 PM)nilyt Wrote:
(07-11-2017, 04:21 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: It's called "sign in", and it's at the top right corner of the forum pages, around the same height as the xonotic logo in the header.

Okay, if you say so.

Haven't found it yet in my version of reality. Confused

[Image: VvTD2qH.png]

Well that's odd. You're also missing the Xonotic logo. Here's what it should look like.

Can you try to do a forced refresh (usually that's ctrl-F5 or shift-F5)?

Do you have any extension that blocks html elements (for example ads)? Can you try temporarily disabling extensions? Can you try a different browser if you have one installed?

Just noticed you have a button to reply while I don't. Could it be that you're hitting a forum bug and are somehow in limbo between signed in and not signed in? Can you try clearing your cookies or alternatively, use a different browser or private browsing mode?

(07-11-2017, 04:46 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Just noticed you have a button to reply while I don't. Could it be that you're hitting a forum bug and are somehow in limbo between signed in and not signed in? Can you try clearing your cookies or alternatively, use a different browser or private browsing mode?

No, you're right, I was logged in while screenshotting. (Can't find the logout button Blush )
It looks the same while logged out, though (killed the cookies).

And I think I found the button. May the source be with us.
It's hiding offscreen behind the right scrollbar... somewhere.
In fact the whole <table> inside <div class="topbar"> is offscreen (red marking in screenshot).

[Image: oSBIgks.png]

The <nav.menu> pushes the table offscreen.
In my reality the table needs a float:left or position:absolute (relative to the parent <div.topbar>).
Or <nav.menu>  needs to stop being a float:left.

[Image: X0AL1YE.png]

Coding table-based layouts in ..2017. Webdesigner? You're fired. =p

(07-11-2017, 05:59 PM)nilyt Wrote:
(07-11-2017, 04:46 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Just noticed you have a button to reply while I don't. Could it be that you're hitting a forum bug and are somehow in limbo between signed in and not signed in? Can you try clearing your cookies or alternatively, use a different browser or private browsing mode?

No, you're right, I was logged in while screenshotting. (Can't find the logout button Blush )
It looks the same while logged out, though (killed the cookies).

And I think I found the button. May the source be with us.
It's hiding offscreen behind the right scrollbar... somewhere.
In fact the whole <table> inside <div class="topbar"> is offscreen (red marking in screenshot).

[Image: oSBIgks.png]

The <nav.menu> pushes the table offscreen.
In my reality the table needs a float:left or position:absolute (relative to the parent <div.topbar>).
Or <nav.menu>  needs to stop being a float:left.

[Image: X0AL1YE.png]

Coding table-based layouts in ..2017. Webdesigner? You're fired. =p

Strange! Thank you for taking a closer look at it. I notified -z- on IRC. Can you tell me your exact browser version? Have you tried other browsers?

If you don't get a reply in the next couple of days, please post in this thread again. I get e-mail notifications from it so I won't miss it Smile

Edit: note that it's not just the login button. You're also missing the Xonotic logo!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Forum update discussion (Was: Forum down time April 6th) Antibody 75 74,218 01-10-2013, 02:18 AM
Last Post: -maniac|Su-
  Forum downtime today Mr. Bougo 9 10,742 04-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Last Post: rocknroll237
Information New restrictions upon forum signatures Samual 21 22,574 10-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Samual