Create an account

Poll: Should this song go in the game?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hell Yeah!
42.86%
3 42.86%
Hell No!
14.29%
1 14.29%
Not Sure!
42.86%
3 42.86%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Go Get 'em - Music Track by The Audio Monkey

Music 
Hey Folks,

I'd like to propose this song to be put into the game, let me know what you think Smile

Here it is on Soundcloud

- Lea  monkey

Wow, great track. Really great progression, and the mastering sounds crisp, I can hear the highs and lows clearly at high volume and even get the sub-low thud on the bass beat in my headphones.

One thing you should be aware of, we require all content be licensed under GPL to be included in the game. This also means source will be required. Are any of these sounds used licensed in a way that would prevent them from inclusion? Would you be willing to license under GPL, and provide source?

(03-13-2017, 04:44 PM)-z- Wrote: Wow, great track. Really great progression, and the mastering sounds crisp, I can hear the highs and lows clearly at high volume and even get the sub-low thud on the bass beat in my headphones.

One thing you should be aware of, we require all content be licensed under GPL to be included in the game. This also means source will be required. Are any of these sounds used licensed in a way that would prevent them from inclusion? Would you be willing to license under GPL, and provide source?

Hey!

Thanks for the feedback. My degree was in sound engineering so I don't like to release anything that is less that perfect!

The main melody lines are all written by me, all of the instruments used are all completely fine to use (i.e. instruments from Logic, EastWest etc which are 100% legally owned and free for both personal and commercial use so I'm 1000% certain that there is no licensing or copyright problem. 

I am more than happy to license the track under GPL and will provide you the source files. Where would you like me to send them? Smile

- Lea

If you write a reply you can attach the source files to your post under the text field.

Welcome. Wink We spoke on Facebook earlier.

(03-13-2017, 04:59 PM)Mirio Wrote: If you write a reply you can attach the source files to your post under the text field.

Welcome. Wink We spoke on Facebook earlier.

Just tried, the files are too big (about 400MB) - is there a standard place you would usually upload them to? Smile

- Lea

The "standard" place they end up is the media sources repository.
Do you have any experience with git, or other versioning control software?
Perhaps you have a dropbox account as an alternative?

OK I've uploaded to Google Drive (Where it will stay) You can get it Here
It includes the main project files, the mastering project and a .wav export of the track (if you need anything else let me know)

Please let me know where it get's used so I can shout about it on the blog!

Would greatly appreciate a credit to "The Audio Monkey" and www.theaudiomonkey.co.uk

Thanks Smile

- Lea

(03-13-2017, 05:20 PM)-z- Wrote: The "standard" place they end up is the media sources repository.

Just posted it on Google Drive!

No experience with those however happy to learn if you could help point me in the right direction?

- Lea

(03-13-2017, 05:28 PM)TheAudioMonkey Wrote:
(03-13-2017, 05:20 PM)-z- Wrote: The "standard" place they end up is the media sources repository.

No experience with those however happy to learn if you could help point me in the right direction?

- Lea

No rush, Google Drive should be enough to get us started Smile.

We use git for "version control", as the name suggests it helps us keep track of our changes/versions. This is mostly for code, but we also track our source files for art, per the sources requirement of the GPL.

You can find our git repositories here: https://gitlab.com/xonotic

(03-13-2017, 05:46 PM)-z- Wrote:
(03-13-2017, 05:28 PM)TheAudioMonkey Wrote:

- Lea

No rush, Google Drive should be enough to get us started Smile.

We use git for "version control", as the name suggests it helps us keep track of our changes/versions. This is mostly for code, but we also track our source files for art, per the sources requirement of the GPL.

You can find our git repositories here: https://gitlab.com/xonotic

Sure I'll have a look at it and see if i can work it out, though my contributions will likely be new music rather than updated versions!

I may also be able to contribute sound fx if needed too, if you let me know what's needed when they come up (:

- Lea

(03-13-2017, 05:53 PM)TheAudioMonkey Wrote: Sure I'll have a look at it and see if i can work it out, though my contributions will likely be new music rather than updated versions!
I may also be able to contribute sound fx if needed too, if you let me know what's needed when they come up (:

- Lea

We're currently focused on the upcoming release of 0.8.2, but there are definitely some sound FX that could use love.  I'm sorry but I do not have a list of them off the top of my head.  Will talk with team more on IRC.

btw, our "live chat" is available here: http://xonotic.org/chat/

(03-13-2017, 06:11 PM)-z- Wrote:
(03-13-2017, 05:53 PM)TheAudioMonkey Wrote: Sure I'll have a look at it and see if i can work it out, though my contributions will likely be new music rather than updated versions!

- Lea

We're currently focused on the upcoming release of 0.8.2, but there are definitely some sound FX that could use love.  I'm sorry but I do not have a list of them off the top of my head.  Will talk with team more on IRC.

btw, our "live chat" is available here: http://xonotic.org/chat/

Sure thing, Just give me a shout either through email, Facebook etc if you need anything. Will take a look at live chat (:

(03-14-2017, 09:32 AM)Lyberta Wrote: A i-VII-VI-V progression? That's so cliche for me. But average player wouldn't notice.

An important note: If you are using proprietary software, other people will not be able to edit your work without obtaining that software. That makes the source of your work not very usable. In fact, this disqualifies your work from being a free cultural work.
Quote:Use of a free format: For digital files, the format in which the work is made available should not be protected by patents, unless a world-wide, unlimited and irrevocable royalty-free grant is given to make use of the patented technology. While non-free formats may sometimes be used for practical reasons, a free format copy must be available for the work to be considered free.

I suggest you to look into libre music programs. This site is a good start. I don't usually do electronic stuff but I've found ZynAddSubFX pretty good.

Yeah that's my bad, didn't even think of that. Can get around this by bouncing it down and removing the plugin. I will sort this out when back this evening!

- Lea

Note that being a "free cultural work" as defined above is not a requirement for being eligible to be included in Xonotic. As long as you are able to release it under GPLv2, that is all we need. Everything else is nice and thoughtful, but not required. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(03-14-2017, 11:09 AM)Halogene Wrote: Note that being a "free cultural work" as defined above is not a requirement for being eligible to be included in Xonotic. As long as you are able to release it under GPLv2, that is all we need. Everything else is nice and thoughtful, but not required. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

:-) Will see what admin says.

- Lea

Halogene is right, we accept the sources in any format, regardless of the tool(s) used. As long as someone can continue working on it from what's provided, we're happy with that.
[Image: 230.png]

(03-14-2017, 03:49 PM)Mario Wrote: Halogene is right, we accept the sources in any format, regardless of the tool(s) used. As long as someone can continue working on it from what's provided, we're happy with that.

Awesome, glad to contribute!

When is the next planned release? Smile

- Lea

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MUSIC THREAD FOR ALL MUSIC kay 590 675,203 11-11-2021, 10:41 AM
Last Post: chooksta
Music New track (WIP) - Toxic Sludge (New name = Sulphur) Archer 12 12,725 10-26-2021, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Kotangens
  An attempt to produce a background music - decadium derrant 2 2,192 09-12-2020, 11:18 AM
Last Post: derrant
Music Music from out side forum Kotangens 4 2,804 08-30-2020, 04:14 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  Any Audio FX Needed? TheAudioMonkey 20 13,866 04-27-2020, 07:31 AM
Last Post: Maaxqatsi
  [NEED HELP] Xonotic music has Royalty? Narutex216Bits 1 2,383 04-07-2020, 07:48 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
  Xonotic OST (Officially Accepted Music) Mirio 18 33,142 07-01-2019, 10:45 AM
Last Post: martin-t
  Free sfx for your music. djwayn 1 5,104 05-25-2018, 01:06 PM
Last Post: djwayn
Music Low interest in music development - why? unfa 28 30,044 07-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Jar-El
  Good track styles for Xon - example inside end user 0 3,140 10-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Last Post: end user