Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Survival gametype

Survival

Demo video

I really like overkill weapons but don't like the fact that I die too quickly, so I thought what if I put a team of overkill guys against a team of vanilla guys? So, it begins...

This gametype is heavily inspired by Left 4 Dead. It is designed for 4 on 4 with additional bots. There are 3 roles:

Attacker
These guys are almost vanilla except they have infinite ammo, get a few random vanilla guns during spawn and get health when picking up ammo since ammo is useless for them.

Defender
These are Overkill guys, they get Overkill models and weapons but don't regenerate health and don't respawn. They get ammo by picking up weapons, health and armor. They also have increased damage resistance so they are harder to kill.

Cannon fodder
These are bots and they are always on the attacker team. A meat for Overkill guys.

And there are 2 subtypes to this gametype:

Coop
Simple one. All humans are on the defender team and try to survive against respawning bots as long as possible. This can be a good introduction for newbies because they will have OP guns and stats.

Versus
A competitive one. Humans go into attacker and defender teams. After all defenders are dead, teams switch roles. The team that survived longer wins.

How to build
  1. Clone official Xonotic repository
  2. In xonotic-data.pk3dir checkout branch Lyberta/master
  3. In xonotic-maps.pk3dir checkout branch Lyberta/Survival
  4. Build as usual.
Server settings
Here's what I've tested with:
Code:
gametype surv
minplayers 16
skill 7
g_warmup 1
g_balance_teams_prevent_imbalance 0
g_spawn_near_teammate 1
g_spawn_near_teammate_ignore_spawnpoint 1
g_surv_type "versus"

So far I haven't found game breaking bugs but there are a few minor ones left. This gametype is in beta.

How do you make custom game modes? Is there any way to make it in a folder or a pk3?
minstanex erebus Angel

The code is in qcsrc/common/gamemodes iirc. Then you just grep for stuff in other files... I don't have time to write detailed tutorial right now.

Check this out: https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic-data..../482/diffs

(01-20-2019, 07:29 PM)Lyberta Wrote: The code is in qcsrc/common/gamemodes iirc. Then you just grep for stuff in other files... I don't have time to write detailed tutorial right now.

Check this out: https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic-data..../482/diffs

Ok thanks!
minstanex erebus Angel

I'd really like the concept if it weren't for the changes made to weapon/ammo logic.

(01-26-2019, 09:06 AM)Smilecythe Wrote: I'd really like the concept if it weren't for the changes made to weapon/ammo logic.

This is actually configurable.

@Lyberta, I appreciate the innovation here! Great ideas here!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Gametype Invasion, Playermodel Bots Dan Hover 12 436 01-26-2019, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Dan Hover
  GunGame gametype Lyberta 7 1,295 01-20-2019, 09:14 AM
Last Post: 3agle427
  New gametype: "Tag" FruitieX 16 10,252 01-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Last Post: nowego4