Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving away from QuakeC

(04-03-2017, 04:09 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: @Lyberta, this sounds like an interesting idea, and definitely something I'd like to have. In exercise, could you layout what exactly can be done for this to happen? (Or better yet, write something small as a proof-of-concept.)
Can we move this part of the discussion into its own thread?

Well, I haven't cloned the Daemon repo yet so I don't know the state of porting Xonotic code to Deamon. Basically, we need to modify the engine code that handles QuakeC and GMQCC compiler to be able to generate function stubs that will be resolved at кгтtime. I think this may break compatibility with Quake code and this will require a dedicated fork of DarkPlaces. As a proof of concept one just needs to move VM code out of DarkPlaces and hack on it. I think this is partly done in Daemon repo.
?️‍? <- that should be a rainbow flag emoji.

Sounds like FTE_multiprogs.
http://forums.insideqc.com/viewtopic.php...multiprogs
Might be portable from FTEQW to darkplaces.

Yes, this is almost exactly as my idea. Does it require FTEQCC? Is there a 100% free software version of FTEQW? I guess we'll need to modify GMQCC too.

(04-06-2017, 07:52 AM)Lyberta Wrote: Yes, this is almost exactly as my idea. Does it require FTEQCC? Is there a 100% free software version of FTEQW? I guess we'll need to modify GMQCC too.

What do you mean, like a fully FOSS game based on FTEQW? Then no, not yet (there is one in the works though called projectUnkown). FTEQW is fully GPL though.
If you asked me, I would rather suggest to port Xonotic to FTEQW as it is mostly compatible and these days the better engine than Darkplaces (maybe with the recent Xonotic code refactoring it almost there?), but I guess the Deamon porting plans are also good.

(04-06-2017, 09:57 AM)poVoq Wrote: What do you mean, like a fully FOSS game based on FTEQW? Then no, not yet (there is one in the works though called projectUnkown). FTEQW is fully GPL though.

Yes, fully free game. I'm not going to get proprietary assets to see what's the engine is about.

(04-06-2017, 09:57 AM)poVoq Wrote: If you asked me, I would rather suggest to port Xonotic to FTEQW as it is mostly compatible and these days the better engine than Darkplaces (maybe with the recent Xonotic code refactoring it almost there?), but I guess the Deamon porting plans are also good.

I dunno, looks ancient. Uses C, SVN and is hosted on SourceForge. Daemon on the other hand looks really cool.

Well it is a Quake derived engine, so some ancient cruft is to be expected. Otherwise don't be fooled by the website or the lack of up to date documentation. It is a very well developed engine with a Vulkan renderer, a Android and a WebGL port and all kind of other cool and modern stuff.
Daemon is also cool, but it also has a lot of ancient cruft from Quake3 and RTCW days. It will also still take considerable effort to get Xonotic running on it as far as I know, and I expect that this unproven QuakeC layer will be quite buggy for a long time.

By the looks of it, FTEQW is about as far off as Daemon from becoming suitable for Xonotic...
Not to mention this: https://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.ph...4#pid64474
[Image: 230.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New QuakeC virtual machine Lyberta 8 2,721 07-14-2017, 04:01 PM
Last Post: poVoq
Question [SOLVED] model not moving with entity dingus 1 1,245 07-30-2016, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Mario
Brick A script engine written in QuakeC Melanosuchus 9 7,041 10-14-2014, 02:01 AM
Last Post: Melanosuchus
  QuakeC: if chains? WannabeUser 2 2,315 03-13-2014, 07:28 AM
Last Post: WannabeUser
  QuakeC: Variadic macros? WannabeUser 2 1,988 03-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Last Post: WannabeUser
  Learning QuakeC? phim 13 12,607 12-24-2013, 03:07 AM
Last Post: aa
  A question of getting started with Quakec timetopat 5 5,162 07-02-2012, 07:55 AM
Last Post: timetopat