Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Admin Ping Issues

If I:

- self host and play with 3 ping, I piss people off when I win

- try to add artificial lag through cl_net_lag_something it doesn't work that way and I get 3 ping regardless

- add packet loss through cl_net_packetloss_something its not fun to play

- add artificial lag, I add network overhead that may impact performance for other clients when a router gets a wave of spam connections across 10000000 ports

- pay for hosting service, I give personally identifiable information because of the nature of the payment method. In which the consequences range from absolutely nothing to being suicided via 6 shots to the back of the head, my death decided as an unfortunate accident by drowning, because of internet vigilantes.

- pay for the hosting service with bitcoin, I feel like a complete idiot because the value literally quadrupled in the span of 5 months because of people treating it like stocks.

Who else can understand my plight? I can't fakenick either when people can point out my ping, and I only have a limited supply of family members and neighbors to use as an excuse.

I really just want to be able to have fake lag through the client.

Is it easier to obfuscate ping just for the server scoreboard and for particular clients (a lot like how people can save(?) preferred hats on the wacky servers), or to change however cl_net_something_fake_ping is doing its magic?

cl_netlocalping works if you're hosting from the game instance, not if it's a local dedicated server you're connecting to.

If you're really worried about paid hosting, then keep in mind your personal IP is exposed to the server list for everyone to see. Anyone who might want to do damage would have a lot more power against a home connection than some large data center.
[Image: 230.png]

(08-13-2017, 11:07 AM)Mario Wrote: cl_netlocalping works if you're hosting from the game instance, not if it's a local dedicated server you're connecting to.

If you're really worried about paid hosting, then keep in mind your personal IP is exposed to the server list for everyone to see. Anyone who might want to do damage would have a lot more power against a home connection than some large data center.

I added that in because I felt like throwing in the meme to the post (its from American politics and don't know if Australians heard of it). Point is:

changing or adding something like cl_netlocalping

vs

changing scoreboard to obfuscate ping by client

which do you think is easier?

(I'm still buttmad from spending some bitcoin while it was $998 ish.)

(08-14-2017, 12:14 PM)Lyberta Wrote: Connect to your server via Tor? Tongue

I'm not sure if that'd work.
I was also hoping for some control over the amount of latency added.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [RESOLVED] How to make people admin? Beagle 9 7,679 05-02-2016, 11:03 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  Some issues with 0.7.0 server -maniac|Su- 16 16,006 01-15-2014, 04:29 PM
Last Post: -maniac|Su-
  load issues (100%) while trying to start the server acidbuddha 5 5,097 06-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo