Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[NEED HELP] I would like to setup a server; Where do I start?

This is what I have to work with: I should have 100% use of the network connection during peak hours, aside from when the other systems do there windows updates

Would I need the normal client software installed? or is there a special server version (server has no GUI, ssh only)
I do know I want to run the SMB mods
How many players can i support with my upload?

I don't think that the SMB mod can be downloaded in compiled form, so you probably need to compile it (and xonotic) yourself. See https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/wikis...ory_Access and https://github.com/MarioSMB/modpack
As Lyberta said, there is an example config and instructions in the "server" directory. Some help can also be found in the "Docs" directory.
You will also need to open the correct port for your server (default port is 26000).
If you plan to host custom maps, you will also need a HTTP download server. You can either host it yourself (e.g. with nginx) or use an external server. The download url has to be specified in your server config ("sv_curl_defaulturl").

Your upload speed is not that high, so don't expect that many people can play on that server.

i realise the upload is crap, but how low is it, if it can't even handle 10 players it is not worth setting up

That was meant as a question, i have not even compiled it yet just wanted to have a idea as to how many it can handle, so i know if it is worth setting up

I have compiled both xonotic and the smb mod
How do i enable these features
  • nades (and bonus ones)
  • Goomba Stomp (steping on a player kills them)
  • vote to use riflearea (vcall riflearena) [g_rifleareana 1 does nothing ???]
  • vampire hook (when you hit a player with a grappling hook you steal life slowly)
  • laser pulse breaks grappling hook
  • enable hats
  • enable custom models (built into the smb mod)
Are there any large map collections i can download? or do i have to do it one by one

(07-01-2017, 07:24 AM)Lyberta Wrote: 5.65 Mbit/s can't handle 10 players? I've handled 24 players with 1 Mbit/s in Team Fortress 2...

Thought you only play open source games.

(07-01-2017, 12:58 PM)evilkittie Wrote: I have compiled both xonotic and the smb mod
How do i enable these features
  • nades (and bonus ones)
  • Goomba Stomp (steping on a player kills them)
  • vote to use riflearea (vcall riflearena) [g_rifleareana 1 does nothing ???]
  • vampire hook (when you hit a player with a grappling hook you steal life slowly)
  • laser pulse breaks grappling hook
  • enable hats
  • enable custom models (built into the smb mod)
Are there any large map collections i can download? or do i have to do it one by one

I basically just use the maps I like in my dlcache/, in which maps were collected over time when I play on other servers.

I added other maps that are posted in the forums.

Most maps I use are in xonotic.co

Thanks for your reply, I just stared grabbing maps i like the screenshot of on xonotic.co the other day
I have made a PHP script to allow me to server both files from my server and dl.xonotic.co and potentially others
PHP Code:
<?php

if(!isset($_GET['file']))
  die("file parameter is required!");

$file=$_GET['file'];

$file=substr($file,strrpos($file,'/'));// if we were using `echo file_get_contents("./$file");` this would prevent a attacker from reading any file on the server they/think know exist

if(file_exists("./$file") && is_link("./$file"))
  header("Location: ./$file");// symlink to the .xontic/data/file.pk3

else
  header("Location: http://dl.xonotic.co/$file");
?>

So I made a manual for voting (40+ echo lines), how do i made it so this alias can be called from the client?
anyone know to i can have a message printed at the start of each match?

I don't think it's possible to make an alias callable from client. Maybe if people already know how to vote, you could provide this alias as a vote itself and then if accepted it would print it to all players. Pretty cumbersome but nothing better occurs to me.

To print something at the start of a match, use sv_hook_gamestart_all - example.
[Image: 30381.jpg]

<packer> when i see martin-t's name my blood pressure increases

<[BOT]Hоtdоg> anyone here lives near martin?
<[BOT]Hоtdоg> will pay monies for shooting him

vhelp already shows a list of available votes, including information on how to vote. We really should turn this into a menu some day though...
[Image: 230.png]

vhelp lacks descriptions on what a vote does, made something more like a program --help output
Code:
echo "Voting manual:"
echo "Game modes:"
echo "   minsta - You get 1 weapon and a grappling hook, primary fire 1 hit deals 150 damage, secondary fire is blaster used for jumping higher (this does 0 damage to targets)"
echo "      rocketminsta - Makes both primary and secondary fire do damage in minsta, shots are explosive, so you can hit a wall or floor and still do damage!"
echo "      norocketminsta - Undoes the above reverting to regular minsta"
echo "   riflearena - You get 1 weapon, Sniper Rifle, primary fire does 80 damage, secondary does 20 damage, but hs a MUCH higher fire rate, head shots are a 1HKO. You can also use the grappling hook! Watch out for the zombies"
echo "   campground - This is a restricted weapons arena where you get a blaster, sniper rifle, and mine layer. Mines do not expire and you can lay upto 5 at a time. You also get a jet-pack (jump while mid air)"
echo "CTF options:"
echo "   manualreturns - You must take your flag back to your own base. (this option is not working right now)"
echo "   autoreturns - Flags are returned to base as soon as a you touch it assuimg it it your teams flag. (useless until the above works)"
echo "   reverse - You must take your flag to an opponet's base to score"
echo "Bots:"
echo "   nobots - turn bots off."
echo "   bots - If there are less than 2 players bots will fill in."
echo "   bots+ - If there are less than 4 players bots will fill in."
echo "   bots++ - If there are less than 6 players bots will fill in."
echo "Grenades:"
echo "   nades - Turns grenades on"
echo "   nonades - Turns grenades off"
echo "   nobonusnades - Turns only bonus grenades off"
echo "Vehicles:"
echo "   vehicles - Allows maps that support vehicles to spawn them"
echo "   novehicles - Prevents vehicles from spawning"
echo "DM options:"
echo "   fraglimit - Allows you to change the number of kills required to win the match"
echo "      `vcall fraglimit 10` player will win when achieving 10 kills"
echo "Match adjustments:"
echo "   restart - Start the current match over"
echo "   endmatch - End the current match"
echo "   reducematchtmatchtime - Shorten the current match timer"
echo "   extendmatchtime - Extend the current match timer"
echo "   allready - Provide players with a change to learn the map before playing"
echo "Map options:"
echo "   gotomap - Stop the current match and go to a specifc map; See `lsmaps' for a list of options"
echo "   nextmap - After the current match and go to a specifc map; See `lsmaps' for a list of options"
echo "      example: `vcall gotomap dance'"
echo "Other options:"
echo "   cointoss - Call heads or tails, you will get call it correctly 50% of the time!"
echo "   movetoauto - ???"// ok what does this do?
echo "   shuffleteams - Mix up the current teams, hoping to find some balance is skilled players."
echo "   opmonsters - Makes monsters crazy strong for the rest of the match (a zombie apocalyps is like titans in AoT)"
I guess i can edit this into my custom quickmenu

There actually seems to be an interesting feature available to server admins - the info command.

It accesses a cvar (let's say users use the command "info voting"), which then prints them the message.
The result isn't super clean for you as the admin, but it may be something to make use of;

set sv_info_voting "Available votes:\n\n^3instagib ^7- ^2Switches the server to InstaGib mode, in which you have the instant-killing vaporizer as your primary weapon and an off-hand grappling hook\n^3riflearena ^7- ^2Switches the server to Rifle Arena mode, in which you have a sniper rifle and zombies roam the arena!"

You can probably find ways to make this easier for yourself, but here's one example:

Code:
sv_vote_commands "restart endmatch extendmatchtime reducematchtime"
set sv_info_voting "\n\n^2For a list of all available votes, use ^3vhelp"
alias addvote_info "addvote $1; addtolist sv_info_voting \"\n^3${1} ^7- ^2${2}\""

addvote_info instagib "Switches the server to InstaGib mode, in which you have the instant-killing vaporizer as your primary weapon and an off-hand grappling hook"
addvote_info riflearena "Switches the server to Rifle Arena mode, in which you have a sniper rifle and zombies roam the arena!"

addtolist sv_info_voting "^2Available votes:\n"

This way allows you to include the votes in the voting list at the same time as adding info for them, so maybe it's worth a try.

(07-10-2017, 09:25 PM)martin-t Wrote: To print something at the start of a match, use sv_hook_gamestart_all - example.
So this should work? i only had a minute to try this this evening, and it did not seem to work.. maybe i missed something

Code:
alias sv_hook_gamestart_all "say To access the quickmenu press F8;"

as for the info thing mario found, that looks a but too messy IMO, i did figure out i can drop a cfg file into a a edited quickmenu pk3 and by editing the call a vote to command replacing vhelp with exec vmanual.cfg i can spit out anything i need to

Updated my post to include some fixes to the info method discovered while trying this for myself. addtolist adds new items to the start of the list, so the info cvar needs to be built backwards.

(07-11-2017, 08:06 PM)evilkittie Wrote:
(07-10-2017, 09:25 PM)martin-t Wrote: To print something at the start of a match, use sv_hook_gamestart_all - example.
So this should work? i only had a minute to try this this evening, and it did not seem to work.. maybe i missed something

Yes, this works on my server and when testing locally too. Note that when testing locally
Code:
alias sv_hook_gamestart_all "say xxx"; map dance
won't work the first time, you have to call either restart or endmatch, the next match it should work. Also make sure you're using say on the server, not echo. Say will print to all players, echo ... not sure but i think server console only.
[Image: 30381.jpg]

<packer> when i see martin-t's name my blood pressure increases

<[BOT]Hоtdоg> anyone here lives near martin?
<[BOT]Hоtdоg> will pay monies for shooting him

I got the sv_hook _gamestart_all to work
I found a way to push a alias to the client (we just make a pk3 file)
i put a file called autoexec.cfg in a zip file along a script.cfg file
in autoexec.cfg i have alias vmanual "exec vmanual.cfg"now that zip has vmanual.cfg and autoexec.cfg we rename .zip to .pk3 now we drop the file into our servers data folder and we are good to go (provided we have a way to download it)
edit: autoexec.cfg does not run when done remotely...

maybe there is some way we could create a man command that would work like the man command in a linux terminal http://www.linfo.org/man.html

There isn't going to be a "clean" way to do this, given the nature of what you're aiming for. The closest thing I've found to an in-game manual function is the aforementioned info command.

Executing custom config files on the client is a real hack either way, and including an autoexec.cfg in your package is definitely a no go.

For now what i did was change vhelp to exec vmanual.cfg in the quickmenu.txt file, i do consider that info command useful
btw does anyone know what movetoauto does?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [NEED HELP] How to setup a LAN ? Sospi 1 501 02-07-2024, 08:28 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
  I can't see my listen server on server list fnmain 1 672 10-07-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Grimnack
  Server not visible on the server browser for others or me DankoLord 1 1,819 02-21-2023, 08:02 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  Let's make our servers community-like! xord86_64 3 996 02-03-2023, 05:36 PM
Last Post: xord86_64
  BaI server | South American Xonotic server (located in Chile) z411 0 2,754 01-02-2022, 11:36 PM
Last Post: z411
  Full server tutorial start-2-finish with maps & config from live server xonotic.us.to ballerburg9005 0 8,043 09-03-2021, 10:21 AM
  Server does not start saddesad 2 2,186 11-25-2020, 04:39 AM
Last Post: saddesad
Question [NEED HELP] Server uses 40% CPU whereas Nexuiz server runs with max 10% e-pig 6 4,965 08-19-2020, 10:17 PM
  [NEED HELP] Server dont appear in server browser abslimit 0 2,578 03-15-2020, 04:13 AM
Last Post: abslimit
  How to change server cfg on modified server veecho 4 4,318 04-24-2019, 08:15 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy