Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Single Player Tutorial Game(s)

(02-18-2018, 02:51 PM)SpiKe Wrote: But leaving the "chmap" key empty won't return to the menu Sad
Sad dang

You can make it a campaign, this way it would also show up in the Single Player. When the last level ends it will show the menu. I've attached the campaign file (needs to be in maps folder).
Possibly we could also put the tutorial levels infront of the campaign levels. Nexuiz did this, but it was just one tutorial level.

Attached Files
.txt   campaigntutorial.txt (Size: 263 bytes / Downloads: 10)
[Image: 21.png]
IRC (QuakeNet): #bot.xonotic | #xonotic.pickup | #xonotic | #xonotic.cup
Steam | Twitch.tv | YouTube
Movies: Mirification #1 | #2 | Mirificaption #1 | #3 | #4 | [BOT] Clan #3 | #5 | #6 | #7 | [BOT] Clan #4 | #8

Hello,

I started working on the tutorial again, and decided to make a campaign with 2 or 3 levels of increasing "difficulty" (instead of levels focusing on weapons, other levels on movement, etc.).

Level 1 is playable already (not 100% finished, it probably needs polishing and fixing in some areas, pls give feedback erebus ).
This level covers very basic techniques, such as crouching, jumping, bunnyhopping, blaster jumps, shotgun practice.

Link: http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/tu...2d550f.pk3

On Level 2, I would like to teach players to perform basic ramp jumps, air control, and to teach more weapon tricks (blaster acceleration, curved rockets, etc.)

I put some ideas on a shared notepad some time ago: https://semestriel.framapad.org/p/xonotic-tutorial
Feel free to edit this pad or to comment on this thread Smile
Stats | Maps: CTF: disarray, vinegar, metro DM: labyrinth Duel: cucumber, quark.

(09-23-2018, 12:10 PM)SpiKe Wrote: Hello,

I started working on the tutorial again, and decided to make a campaign with 2 or 3 levels of increasing "difficulty" (instead of levels focusing on weapons, other levels on movement, etc.).

Level 1 is playable already (not 100% finished, it probably needs polishing and fixing in some areas, pls give feedback erebus ).
This level covers very basic techniques, such as crouching, jumping, bunnyhopping, blaster jumps, shotgun practice.

Link: http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/tu...2d550f.pk3

On Level 2, I would like to teach players to perform basic ramp jumps, air control, and to teach more weapon tricks (blaster acceleration, curved rockets, etc.)

I put some ideas on a shared notepad some time ago: https://semestriel.framapad.org/p/xonotic-tutorial
Feel free to edit this pad or to comment on this thread Smile

Not bad. things which I noticed:

1. Shooting range is kinda meh. It's too easy to hit the barrier and hurt yourself. This room needs different layout. Also would be good if some monsters were farther away to test vortex on them. Smile Also need a bit elaborated text, not too detailed maybe, but mentioning every weapon name and its general purpose.
2. The text goes out too quickly, I couldn't read the message which appeared in the health/armor room.
3. Text about blaster and shotgun should be elaborated too. The blaster jump could be confusing for absolute noobs (needs something like "Shoot at your feet to jump high")

Looks like the link for "basic movement tutorial" is broken.

I added some suggestions, i would also like to argue for blaster movement being included in the beginner level. It's essential in CTF and lately, public vanilla has finally moved from DM to more interesting modes where it helps a lot.
[Image: 30381.jpg]

<packer> when i see martin-t's name my blood pressure increases

Thanks morosophos and martin-t for your feedback.

@morosophos:
I know the text is sometimes a bit confusing / disappears too quickly.
The plan is to replace the text with voice clips eventually (Antibody agreed to record some clips a long time ago iirc).
Also, some visual representations of the required actions could be made (not by me though, I'm terrible in drawings) , it would be more useful than a plain text.

I will try to remake the shooting range.

@martin-t:
Well, I hesitated to put the blaster run room on Level 1, it would make sense, what do other people think?
I replied to your questions on the pad, I will look again at the button properties but I don't think we can achieve what you'd like :p
However, a playermodel-sized destroyable brush could be used for teaching shotgun slaps (with no ammo of course).

I'll be afk this week, will work on the tut later (
Stats | Maps: CTF: disarray, vinegar, metro DM: labyrinth Duel: cucumber, quark.

(09-24-2018, 03:41 AM)SpiKe Wrote: Well, I hesitated to put the blaster run room on Level 1, it would make sense, what do other people think?
I think wpn movement is kinda hard, so better not to overwhelm new users at the 1st chapter with it. There should be a separate chapter devoted to blaster jumps/accel, crylink runs, rocket jumps, etc

Also this might sound strange, but we should NOT focus on noobs which can't do anything. The basics can be mastered intuitively (if someone can't he most likely doesn't fit xonotic and we shouldn't care). Ofc the basics should be covered, but very briefly. We should focus tutorials which would allow to step from mediocre level to top. Personally I'd like to have some hardcore aiming drills (which also might be useful to calibrate mouse sensitivity). I'm a shit aimer myself so I can have only a rough idea of how proper aim training should look like. Guess some drills for tracking moving objects and some drills for doing flick shots.

For movement, can't we just create some cts maps designed for vanilla xon physics and weapon balance? We might even use them on defrag servers (mapinfo can temporarily switch to vanilla physics and balance).

New test version of Level 1: http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/tu...f3fedb.pk3
Changes:
  • New exit room, you need to reach a teleporter while a turret is shooting at you. If you don't want to die, you have to pick up health & armor on the way. Thanks martin-t for the suggestion, it should help players to better understand the usefulness of health & armor pickups in-game. The room looks a bit empty though...
  • Added a shotgun slap practice, however there seems to be a bug and the button can be triggered with shotgun primary too... Pls just pretend you don't have any shells Big Grin
  • Replaced the glass with a force field in the shooting range, so you won't hurt yourself.

I also put together an initial version of Level 2: http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/tu...274daf.pk3
The rooms on this level already existed in the previous tutorial attempts, it's not perfect and probably needs some improvements Smile

BTW, for proper testing you need Xonotic autobuild or a recent git build.

I updated the previous post with a new test version of Level 1.
There were a few issues with the turret room (the door system was broken, I removed it and simply put a teleporter instead). Also you now spawn in this room with 100 health, regardless of your previous health amount.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Relic Duels (game mode) munyul 7 1,472 02-11-2018, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Lyberta
  [SUGGESTION] Remove 4 player duel Antares* 1 1,149 06-30-2017, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Mario
  [FIXED] Handle non-ASCII characters on http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=xonotic Antares* 5 1,476 06-27-2017, 06:41 PM
Last Post: -z-
  [SUGGESTION] Different Input Key Settings for different Game Modes Magician 1 1,256 03-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Last Post: -z-
  [SUGGESTION] Match making/game schduler end user 6 2,515 07-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Last Post: end user
  [SUGGESTION] Input from a fairly new player fool 7 3,448 03-22-2016, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] Player join notification end user 0 1,542 11-25-2015, 08:50 PM
Last Post: end user
  [SUGGESTION] New Player Models and Sizes Beagle 8 3,733 11-15-2015, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] Lua scripting for the game? darkhog 2 2,004 09-05-2015, 05:33 PM
Last Post: TimePath
  [SUGGESTION] a sub-forum for user and game server admin communication BuddyFriendGuy 6 2,773 09-04-2015, 02:12 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy