Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
will it play at full graphics and everything else max

MSI AM2+ Micro-ATX motherboard
Athlon X2 5600+ 2.8 GHz Dual-Core CPU
2 GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR2 667MHz RAM
Asus Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB video card
Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM hard drive

will that be able to play xonotic/nexuiz at full graphics and effect level and everything else?

thanks

Are you describing a possible new system build? I can run Nexuiz at max on my system with similar specs. This is under Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 testing AMD64. I don't know if the performance will differ on Windows, if that is what you are going to be running. If this is a new system build, I strongly recommend that you spend a few more dollars for some faster (at least DDR2-800) RAM as 667MHz is a little on the slow side for a gaming rig. Also, you should see if there is a Microcenter within driving distance. I took a short road trip with a friend to Microcenter not long ago and it saved him about 150 to 200 dollars on his system build versus the local computer stores.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them for you.
Once you go -ck you never go back.
This signature is licensed under the BSD license. There is no need to relicense your brain once you have committed it to memory.

well its a custom built gaming computer i found on ebay, and windows xp is what is on it, and 4 DIMM slots with only 2 being used.

the only microcenter that i is closest is out of state so there are no microcenters here

so should i get it and then upgrade the ram?

It's up to you if you want to buy it or not. 667MHz RAM may be alright; it's just my personal preference to have 800MHz RAM or better in a gaming rig. For a modern PC, Windows XP is total crap. You would be much better off with Windows 7. Microsoft has already dropped support for Windows 2000 or is soon about to do so. Windows XP won't be far behind. Once support has been dropped for Windows XP, you will no longer get security updates from Microsoft, which means that you may find that you will have to remove worms/trojans on a daily or even hourly basis. Don't quote me on this, but I think an upgrade to Windows 7 would cost you about 200 dollars minimum. I wouldn't buy this system.
This signature is licensed under the BSD license. There is no need to relicense your brain once you have committed it to memory.

My system can pretty much max this game out, but it won't hold it any higher than 35fps on a 1280 x 1024.

Here are my specs
CPU: 3GHZ, 4 core, AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition
RAM: 4GB 1066 DDR2 in dual channel
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 9800GTX, 256 bit, PCIE 2.0 interface, 1GB

With a few tweaks (such as LOD, lowering particles, and reducing gib time) though I was able to raise the FPS cap to 55 with no real loss in visual quality or slowdown.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

I have specs very _very_ close to lee's, and I can never really exceed 40fps when in actual play (say, with 6 people on the server). And that's without gibs.

It won't affect speed, but a 250gb harddrive, imo, is a waste of money considering the price difference between that and a 500gb/1tb. At my local store, the difference is only AU$4! If you can, I'd be tempted to get the 1tb even Smile

Another piece of pure opinion: Hyper-X, etc, is just paying extra money for branding and a fancy looking cooler. I try to go for the cheaper brands, because in the end the label doesn't make a difference to your performance.
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

DO. NOT. BUY. A. USED. COMPUTER.

build a new one off newegg/microcenter

(07-27-2010, 04:23 AM)TwEaK Wrote: DO. NOT. BUY. A. USED. COMPUTER.

build a new one off newegg/microcenter

Or give me your budget and your region and I'll do the shopping for you.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

well this computer is 349.99 dollers
and it comes with a monitor and mouse and keyboard
and this is all the specs

Apevia X-Qpack 2 Micro-ATX case
MSI AM2+ Micro-ATX motherboard
Athlon X2 5600+ 2.8 GHz Dual-Core CPU
2 GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR2 667MHz RAM
Asus Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB video card
Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM hard drive
Logitech G11 backlit gaming keyboard
Razer Diamondback gaming mouse
Acer 22" 5ms monitor 1680x1050 resolution
420 Watt power supply
Copy of Windows XP Professional (not pictured)
2 power cables for tower/monitor (not pictured)
1 DVI cable for monitor (not pictured)

the thing is this is like the limit of how much i can spend on a computer

The price is okay, since it's quite old. But with an 8000 geforce I doubt you can max out the settings. At least note when there are portals/water effects on the map. And gibs suck a lot of fps too, but who needs those anyway...
Even if we were to split up the money equally - which is totally wrong - you'd pay 44 bucks for the most important parts (mobo, cpu, gpu, ram, hdd, keyboard, mouse, monitor) - which is a good price, even when considering the age... at least when they're intact - except for the keyboard, where I have a special preference and wouldn't pay a single buck for such a thing. (I just hate these huge keys people have on their keyboards... I must admit that I prefer apple *yuck* keyboards... no really, they're much more comfortable once you get used to the keys, which takes about 2 minutes, or none if you use notebooks a lot (and I don't mean mac books)...)

In any case... it's a used PC with windoze XP on it... which means it'll be slow as hell. Buying used PCs is always a big risk. They could be trying to get rid of it because the parts seem to be getting worse.

Have you checked out laptops at Walmart?
Check this one out: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-15.6-Aspi...m/14904290

I don't think it will run Nexuiz/Xonotic on max settings, but it's brand new and has a warranty from the manufacturer. Also, you can return it if you don't like it. Plus, it's easy to take to LAN parties!

(07-28-2010, 04:33 PM)tux9656 Wrote: Have you checked out laptops at Walmart?
Check this one out: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-15.6-Aspi...m/14904290

I don't think it will run Nexuiz/Xonotic on max settings, but it's brand new and has a warranty from the manufacturer. Also, you can return it if you don't like it. Plus, it's easy to take to LAN parties!

thank you, do you think that laptop could run combat arms with a good rate rate say like 70 frame rate? or would it lag alot in combat arms?

The graphics chip in that laptop is an ATI Radeon HD 4250. I think it would handle Combat Arms just fine. Here is a link to a comparison chart.
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_...on+HD+4250
Here is a link to the product page on Acer's website.
http://us.acer.com/acer/productv.do?Lang...3073651719
The best thing about buying from Walmart is that you can return it within seven days if it doesn't work out for you. I would just buy it and if it doesn't work out, just bring it back. I returned a laptop to Walmart once without any trouble.

If you do buy this one, post back here and let us know how it works out.

The Radeon 4250 is absolute low-end and much slower than any dedicated graphics card (it is, in fact, an integrated graphics part).

I doubt it will be able to handle Combat Arms or any other modern FPS decently.

i need a good gamin pc like one that can play games like xonotic at like 200 fps or lower or something like that, im not sure about that walmart laptop although i did see it in the store on display, but if the laptop is not going to be able to play this type of game with a good frame rate then i am not sure i should get it
it looks like a good laptop but if it cant play the game at a decent frame rate then i dont think its really its good laptop for me

Did you see the link to the benchmark results I posted? The Radeon 4250 sits at about the middle of mid-range graphics cards, which should be fairly decent. With what you are willing to spend you can't expect to get a great brand new gaming PC. Walmart is really good about returns. Just buy the laptop and if it's crap, bring it back. Worst case scenario is a couple of wasted trips to Walmart. Just be sure to ask about the return policy for laptops before you buy.

(08-05-2010, 09:49 PM)tux9656 Wrote: Did you see the link to the benchmark results I posted? The Radeon 4250 sits at about the middle of mid-range graphics cards, which should be fairly decent. With what you are willing to spend you can't expect to get a great brand new gaming PC. Walmart is really good about returns. Just buy the laptop and if it's crap, bring it back. Worst case scenario is a couple of wasted trips to Walmart. Just be sure to ask about the return policy for laptops before you buy.

thanks tux9656

(08-05-2010, 09:49 PM)tux9656 Wrote: Did you see the link to the benchmark results I posted? The Radeon 4250 sits at about the middle of mid-range graphics cards, which should be fairly decent.

The cards tested in this single one benchmark are mostly ancient and slow by today's standard. I see the 4250 being outperformed by Geforce 3 and Matrox Parhelia cards, which definately are unusable for modern games.

See e.g. http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphic...e-review/1 for how the 4250 performs. It's one of the faster IGPs, but still very much unusable for gaming on anything but low settings.

If you just give us a price, about 5 of us will construct some separate computers from newegg that fit your budget.

i think i'm gonna go with the laptop that tux showed me

the video card is not the best so i am looking to upgrade it somehow, i wonder if overclocking will help
i wonder if i should just upgrade the video card on my old dell desktop and see how that works out
edit: anyone know of some good graphics card for atx mother board?

GeForce 8800GTS is pretty low, its different than 8800GT. 8800GT is more powerful than that.

My specs are(not in full details):
Code:
XFX Nvidia GeForce 8200
AMD Phenom X3
XFX Nvidia GeForce 9600GT
2GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper CL3 Edition
500GB SATA Western Digital

I'd buy another pair of RAM, but the RAM is too big that it can only fit 2 pieces in the slots, wasting another 2 slots. The game lagged when playing with 9 bots in bleach map with the highest settings in game. But it doesn't lag that hard, like 25-30FPS(estimated, I didn't turn on the FPS counter).

If you want to upgrade your PC, I advice you to upgrade these 4 main components first, motherboard(get a PCI-E compatible if possible), graphics card(Nvidia 260GT or Radeon HD 5700, whichever you prefer), processor(dual cores like Core2Duo is ok, but quad-core is better), and RAM(4GB is already good). Of course, the items are kinda costly, but PC gaming is demanding these days, even for free games like Xonotic, Nexuiz, etc..

Nice topic !
Does a benchmark topic interesting people here ?
Does the timedemo is implemented in xono yet ?

For infos, my Xonotic runs much better than Nexuiz :
- Nexuiz 30 fps mini in low.cfg (under when more than 3 players)
- Xonotic 30 fps mini in med.cfg (2 players)
conf : macbook pro, 2.2Ghz Core2Duo, 2Go DDR2 666Mhz, 8600M GT, res : 1440 x 900
Maybe it comes from the fact that I compiled myself the game

Greeny's Suggestion of "Automated performance testing on different platforms" : http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=238
Awesome, did Qz show you that ?
Nexuiz : I Reach the top5 of the ladder (even top3 I guess). Top1 French for quite some time (when active) of ladder. Top5 of some tournaments (if I remember well)

(10-10-2010, 11:47 AM)PGP_Qz Wrote: - Nexuiz 30 fps mini in low.cfg (under when more than 3 players)
- Xonotic 30 fps mini in med.cfg (2 players)
conf : macbook pro, 2.2Ghz Core2Duo, 2Go DDR2 666Mhz, 8600M GT, res : 1440 x 900
Maybe it comes from the fact that I compiled myself the game

No! That's just because of the fact that Apple Operating Systems limit the FPS at 30!
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

(07-27-2010, 12:17 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: With a few tweaks (such as LOD, lowering particles, and reducing gib time) though I was able to raise the FPS cap to 55 with no real loss in visual quality or slowdown.

Could you share which variables have you touched to tweak for raise the FPS?

On my PC Xonotic does look like it works slower than Nexuiz on simmilar settings.

I've got P4 3GHz (32bit, with HyperThreading) 2,75GB usable RAM DualDDR1 400, Radeon 9600 256MB AGP. I'm testing both r300 (classic Mesa) and r300g (Gallium3D) drivers from Mesa 7.8/7.9 and development version of 7.10 (not yet released).

Btw. Xonotic did raise some bugs of r300g driver with GLSL which Nexuiz haven't (I'm going to report it to driver developers).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  play while you wait to play Totally_Cool 1 1,544 02-07-2021, 04:36 PM
Last Post: daveblanchard
Video Sing while you play? - o.k. (an anusual gameplay video) unfa 5 7,801 09-06-2013, 05:07 AM
Last Post: unfa
  Why do people only seem to play minsta+hook or CTS? JayWalker 81 70,101 06-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Last Post: g4spr0m
  Graphics: Xonotic VS Nexuiz [WARNING: OFFTOPIC] Exitium 73 97,664 05-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Do you REALLY need over 9000 FPS to play the game? Minkovsky 23 36,697 04-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Inso
  Full corresponding source code for Nexuiz 2.5.2? twistedlincoln 8 14,735 06-05-2010, 03:47 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Bad graphics? Or usable ones? FreakOfNature 20 21,742 04-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Last Post: RC-1140