Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RELEASE] mvxdm05v09 - Silent Seas

Rainbow 
This is a new map created from scratch - Release Candidate now available for download.

[Image: mvxdm05v06a.png][Image: mvxdm05v06b.png][Image: mvxdm05v06c.png][Image: mvxdm05v06d.png]

Download mvxdm05v09.zip - Current (final release)
- Added some brush work (broken walls) near the Mega Armor and Hagar
- Added some brush work (piping) near the Devastator
- Added a metal railing on top of one of the walls
- Final radiant build: Xonotic default.

Download mvxdm05v08.pk3 - Old
- Added support for the Domination gameplay mode (2 teams)

Download mvxdm05v07.pk3 - Old
- Swapped the Hagar and Vortex as suggested
- Added more ambient sounds

Download mvxdm05v06.pk3 - Old
- Finished texturing
- Added BOT waypoints
- Added more lighting
- Added coloured lighting (door ways)
- Added some ambient sounds
- Added some hint brushes

Download mvxdm05v05.pk3 - Old
- Texturing 99% complete
- Remove teleporter near the Mega Armor
- Added teleporter in the small upper cove (between MA and MH)
- Added lighting models
- Added some dynamic lighting
- Change the style of the ledge the Vortex is on
- Added some ammo
- Testing new "door" frames

Download mvxdm05v04.pk3 - Old
- Added an upper level (more height) to the Mega Armor area
- Added Hagar
- More texturing work
- More brush work near the Devastator

Download mvxdm05v03.pk3 - Old
- Added a teleporter near the Mega Armor, Good idea? Is the destination too “crazy”?
- Removed the ramped edges from the stairs
- Added a trick jump to get the Mega Health
- Added some details (pipe work)
- Raised the height of the ceiling in the room below the Mega Armor area
- Started texturing some of the hallways

Download mvxdm05v02.pk3 - Old
- Textured the room with the Mega Health (simple clean style)
- Moved the Mega Health further away, the jump is a lot harder now, but can still be made from the upper ledge
- Added clipping to all door edges (doors remain the same size (w128 x 112h), but you no longer get stuck)
- Added clipping (slops) to the edges of the stairs in the updated room, this allows for ramp jumps
- In the area with the Mega Armor, the ceiling height has been slightly increased and also changed to a skybox (looks a lot roomier now)
- Basic lighting added throughout the map

Download mvxdm05v01.pk3 - Old
- Layout (possibly complete)
- No lighting
- Basic weapon & item placements
It would be great to get some feedback on the size and flow of the map, I'm hoping it works well for 1v1 games.

At first glance, it looks good.

The size looks correct, rooms and corridors are properly scaled.
The ceiling is maybe a bit too low when you stand on the upper platform (where the machinegun is).
I like the tricky Mega Armor spot Smile

Hey,
I gave it a try today.
The layout is quite nice, seems to be interesting.
However, as SpiKe says, I found the ceiling to be a little bit too low and the design too cramped sometimes.
[Image: 1505041399-xonotic20170910130207-00.jpg]
Here, for instance, I think the ceiling is too low.
[Image: 1505041401-xonotic20170910130225-00.jpg]
Here, the ceiling is a little bit too low. And I'd say: take care about not turning this area into a labyrinthic shooter. Maybe by enlarging the doors a little bit?

But nice work anyway! If possible, I'd add a little bit of verticality to the layout. And also, maybe replace some staircases by nice warpzones? Staircases take a lot of time to climb. I was thinking espacially about the staircase pictured in the first screenshot.

Thank you for the feedback, SpiKe & hox3d.

Regarding the low ceiling in the upper section, I only placed a flat/low ceiling on that area so that the map doesn't leak Wink that area is planned to use a skybox when done.

@hox3d, The staircase you mentioned, that is intended to be "slow", as I want a "nice" item to be placed there as bait. As for adding more height, well right now I am happy with the size of the map (it's intended for 1v1) so I'll keep it the way it is (for now).

Map Status:
I'm currently texturing 1 room, but I'm having troubles on deciding which textures to use - Currently, I'm trying a rusty metal look (exx & trak5x) - maybe someone has a better idea?

I agree: Ceiling seems low and corridors narrow. Especially doorways! There are at least three dead ends and I think you should remove those as they force players to use laser jumps... Jumppad needs model! Map has to utilize the teleporters, jumppads, ramps and maybe elevators instead of stairs .. Leave some but not that many Smile. Before you start texturing make sure your geometry is finished! Try to expand the whole map and make sure that layout is easier to read by players who test your map! Currently your map feels a bit like a maze, like Hox3d mentioned.

Good luck with the map
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByeWaw...29IaVVKSFE
[Image: open?id=0ByeWawNl18I1Y05LM29IaVVKSFE]
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByeWaw...VpaOG43TVU
[Image: open?id=0ByeWawNl18I1NnBqNVpaOG43TVU]
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByeWaw...UZWVmpKWGc
[Image: open?id=0ByeWawNl18I1aF9nOUZWVmpKWGc]
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByeWaw...kZ6Z1hZNDg

Dammit, Justin, you're something.
The draw-and-then-do workflow is kinda nice. I should try that too, sometimes I really run out of ideas aesthetics-wise.
Nice ideas you gave here, that's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Hope your drawings are GPL, cause I'm gonna take then as inspiration ahah.

Hi. I just released an update (v02, see 1st post).

Changes:
- Textured the room with the Mega Health (simple clean style)
- Moved the Mega Health further away, the jump is a lot harder now, but can still be made from the upper ledge
- Added clipping to all door edges (doors remain the same size (w128 x 112h), but you no longer get stuck)
- Added clipping (slops) to the edges of the stairs in the updated room, this allows for ramp jumps
- In the area with the Mega Armor, the ceiling height has been slightly increased and also changed to a skybox (looks a lot roomier now)
- Basic lighting added throughout the map

@Justin, firstly your sketches are very cool, thank you for the effort. Regarding the deadends, 2 of the three that you mentioned, I personally don't see them are deadends as they are that short (coves), as for the Mega Armor deadend, I like it as the best items should be hard to get - in this case, hard doesn't mean a movement challenge, it means a risk of being trapped. Whether or not this is something good, seems to be a matter of personal opinion (see SpiKe's comment #2)

Not really fond of stair ramps, makes tight-cutting through them harder and you'll often end up ramping unintentionally, which makes you lose all your speed as well. Ramp jumps are cool, but not when they're on stairs.

@Smilecythe, are you able to maintain your speed, even up a set of winding stairs as there are in this map? For example, from down near the Devastator all the way up and around to near the Vortex? Or is it even possible to gain speed moving up these stairs?
As far as the design of the stairs go, I'm open to suggestions/change, but I'd rather not turn any in to pure ramps.
I'll probably add/test a ramp jump or two (away from the stairs) to see if they "work" in this map.

Lastest build (v03) ready for download, see the first post.

Change log:
- Added a teleporter near the Mega Armor
- Removed the ramped edges from the stairs
- Added a trick jump to get the Mega Health
- Added some details (pipe work)
- Raised the height of the ceiling in the room below the Mega Armor area
- Started texturing some of the hallways

Coming along nicely... nice work munyul
[Image: 38443.png]

Lastest build (v04) is now ready for download, see the first post.

Change log:
- Added an upper level (more height) to the Mega Armor area
- Added Hagar
- More texturing work
- More brush work near the Devastator

It would be nice to get some feedback regarding the teleporter; is its location okay? is its destination okay?

So one thing about tele, you can get stuck on those trims.
I liked the map, but it needs more diverse texturing, so you can easier recognize where you are.

(Disclaimer: I played only one game on it Wink )

The latest build (v05) is now ready for download, see the first post.
Change log:
- Texturing 99% complete
- Remove teleporter near the Mega Armor
- Added teleporter in the small upper cove (between MA and MH)
- Added lighting models
- Added some dynamic lighting
- Change the style of the ledge the Vortex is on
- Added some ammo
- Testing new "door" frames

It would be nice to get some feedback regarding the choice of weapons and their locations

@proraide, thanks for your feedback - that old teleporter was only a "placeholder" to test the idea of having a teleporter in that location, I've now decided against it. The new teleporter (in the new location) is correctly clipped, so you shouldn't get stuck on any of the edges there.

v06 is now ready for download (see 1st post), and is a Release Candidate. If no major issues are encountered, then a final build will be ready soonish.

Change log:
- Finished texturing
- Added BOT waypoints
- Added more lighting
- Added coloured lighting (door ways)
- Added some ambient sounds
- Added some hint brushes

This map still needs a name, anyone got a suggestion?

Regarding the colours (door ways), red indicates you are going towards or away from the Mega Health, green indicates you are going towards or away from the Mega Armor and blue is neutral.

Whoever spawns closest to the 100a will surely set the pace at the start of each duel. Should in my opinion swap Hagar and Vortex spawns. It would make the otherwise secluded top area more valuable as well as put some gap between 100a and Vortex. You should in general think of Vortex as another mega item, it's that important in Xonotic.

Hi Smilecythe, I'll swap the Vortex and Hagar as suggested, as for the rest of the weapons, I'm open to moving them all around, if required.
Is there enough ammo?
Is there enough small health/armor?

New download ready, see first post.

Change log:
- Swapped the Hagar and Vortex as suggested
- Added more ambient sounds

RC3 now ready for download, see first post.

Change log:
- Added support for the Domination gameplay mode (2 teams).

I've watched bots play in all the game modes that work in here, they played well in all, except for CA. In CA they tended to stick to each other and both teams stayed in their own areas...

Anyone played 1v1 against another player in this map? How did it go?

great progress.  i will make a more detailed post tomorrow.

2 small things already.
Have you chose the colors intentionally? For me it looks like you chose them for oriantion. Red = MH, Green = MA and yellow/orange = tele/warpzones
Are you planning to add more detail to the map? At the moment it looks quiet good, but it is still kind of unpolished.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

oh sorry, i totally forgot about it.

one idea which came to my mind is swapping the 50 and 100 armor. So there are 3 separate groups. 50armor and 50 health, 100 armor, 100 health.

Here are my other critics about the map
[Image: gz0c3tcilv9112u232e8_thumb.jpg]
[Image: niqfma9mvd79sdnsqo_thumb.jpg]
[Image: 462p22h2uj6n3roaks8_thumb.jpg]
[Image: k0yme5k6h5m6hm1qz2wg_thumb.jpg]
[Image: fhwpabosqnoa97lxmu_thumb.jpg]
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Hallo Cortez666, thanks for your feedback.

Firstly, based on the 3 screenshot, it looks like you might have tested an older version (v08 is the current release and that area is lit by a ceiling light).

Screen 1: Those texture "transitions" look fine to me and I don't plan on making any changes there.
Screen 2: Again, I don't might the textures/brushes here, though I might take another look at it...
Screen 3: Lighting has already been added to that area.
Screen 4: Agreed those textures do not look great and I'll see if I can find something more suitable.
Screen 5: That isn't a door. Amoung the official textures I couldn't find a "System On / Off" texture set, so I went with the Airlock textures. That red "button" is meant to show that the "machines/systems" in the area are off, due to the work being done.

Thanks again for your feedback, where you able to play a game or two in the map?

Final build released: Download mvxdm05v09.zip

Release notes:
- Added some brush work (broken walls) near the Mega Armor and Hagar
- Added some brush work (piping) near the Devastator
- Added a metal railing on top of one of the walls
- Final radiant build: Xonotic default.

Thank you to everyone that provided feedback...

Map walkthrough of Silent Seas. Enjoy!

asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

Hi Antibody, thanks for the walkthrough - if the map does get used in the tournament, I'm very interested to hear the comments.

Are you planning on making and releasing some gameplay videos from the event?

[EDIT]
ps. It is not a space station - those displays were references to the "piping and infrastructure", the default Xonotic textures didn't have a "system active/inactive" display, so I went with the Air Locks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Silent Siege [Duel] Justin 83 83,420 11-29-2014, 07:00 AM
Last Post: GoregeousGuy