Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[WIP] mvxdm05

Here is a new map (work in progress, but playable), created from scratch.

[Image: mvxdm05a.jpg][Image: mvxdm05d.jpg][Image: mvxdm05e.jpg]

Download mvxdm05v02.pk3 - Current
- Textured the room with the Mega Health (simple clean style)
- Moved the Mega Health further away, the jump is a lot harder now, but can still be made from the upper ledge
- Added clipping to all door edges (doors remain the same size (w128 x 112h), but you no longer get stuck)
- Added clipping (slops) to the edges of the stairs in the updated room, this allows for ramp jumps
- In the area with the Mega Armor, the ceiling height has been slightly increased and also changed to a skybox (looks a lot roomier now)
- Basic lighting added throughout the map

Still TODO:
- More Texturing
- Weapon choice and placement
- Item (health, armor & ammo) amounts
- Spawn spots
- More Lighting

Download mvxdm05v01.pk3 - Old
- Layout (possibly complete)
- No lighting
- Basic weapon & item placements
It would be great to get some feedback on the size and flow of the map, I'm hoping it works well for 1v1 games.

At first glance, it looks good.

The size looks correct, rooms and corridors are properly scaled.
The ceiling is maybe a bit too low when you stand on the upper platform (where the machinegun is).
I like the tricky Mega Armor spot Smile
Stats | Maps: CTF: disarray, vinegar, metro DM: labyrinth Duel: cucumber, quark.

Hey,
I gave it a try today.
The layout is quite nice, seems to be interesting.
However, as SpiKe says, I found the ceiling to be a little bit too low and the design too cramped sometimes.
[Image: 1505041399-xonotic20170910130207-00.jpg]
Here, for instance, I think the ceiling is too low.
[Image: 1505041401-xonotic20170910130225-00.jpg]
Here, the ceiling is a little bit too low. And I'd say: take care about not turning this area into a labyrinthic shooter. Maybe by enlarging the doors a little bit?

But nice work anyway! If possible, I'd add a little bit of verticality to the layout. And also, maybe replace some staircases by nice warpzones? Staircases take a lot of time to climb. I was thinking espacially about the staircase pictured in the first screenshot.

Thank you for the feedback, SpiKe & hox3d.

Regarding the low ceiling in the upper section, I only placed a flat/low ceiling on that area so that the map doesn't leak Wink that area is planned to use a skybox when done.

@hox3d, The staircase you mentioned, that is intended to be "slow", as I want a "nice" item to be placed there as bait. As for adding more height, well right now I am happy with the size of the map (it's intended for 1v1) so I'll keep it the way it is (for now).

Map Status:
I'm currently texturing 1 room, but I'm having troubles on deciding which textures to use - Currently, I'm trying a rusty metal look (exx & trak5x) - maybe someone has a better idea?

I agree: Ceiling seems low and corridors narrow. Especially doorways! There are at least three dead ends and I think you should remove those as they force players to use laser jumps... Jumppad needs model! Map has to utilize the teleporters, jumppads, ramps and maybe elevators instead of stairs .. Leave some but not that many Smile. Before you start texturing make sure your geometry is finished! Try to expand the whole map and make sure that layout is easier to read by players who test your map! Currently your map feels a bit like a maze, like Hox3d mentioned.

Good luck with the map
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByeWaw...29IaVVKSFE
[Image: open?id=0ByeWawNl18I1Y05LM29IaVVKSFE]
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByeWaw...VpaOG43TVU
[Image: open?id=0ByeWawNl18I1NnBqNVpaOG43TVU]
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByeWaw...UZWVmpKWGc
[Image: open?id=0ByeWawNl18I1aF9nOUZWVmpKWGc]
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByeWaw...kZ6Z1hZNDg

Dammit, Justin, you're something.
The draw-and-then-do workflow is kinda nice. I should try that too, sometimes I really run out of ideas aesthetics-wise.
Nice ideas you gave here, that's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Hope your drawings are GPL, cause I'm gonna take then as inspiration ahah.
Three Club-Mate is my limit. After that, I won't guarantee anything.

Hi. I just released an update (see 1st post).

Changes:
- Textured the room with the Mega Health (simple clean style)
- Moved the Mega Health further away, the jump is a lot harder now, but can still be made from the upper ledge
- Added clipping to all door edges (doors remain the same size (w128 x 112h), but you no longer get stuck)
- Added clipping (slops) to the edges of the stairs in the updated room, this allows for ramp jumps
- In the area with the Mega Armor, the ceiling height has been slightly increased and also changed to a skybox (looks a lot roomier now)
- Basic lighting added throughout the map

@Justin, firstly your sketches are very cool, thank you for the effort. Regarding the deadends, 2 of the three that you mentioned, I personally don't see them are deadends as they are that short (coves), as for the Mega Armor deadend, I like it as the best items should be hard to get - in this case, hard doesn't mean a movement challenge, it means a risk of being trapped. Whether or not this is something good, seems to be a matter of personal opinion (see SpiKe's comment #2)

Not really fond of stair ramps, makes tight-cutting through them harder and you'll often end up ramping unintentionally, which makes you lose all your speed as well. Ramp jumps are cool, but not when they're on stairs.

@Smilecythe, are you able to maintain your speed, even up a set of winding stairs as there are in this map? For example, from down near the Devastator all the way up and around to near the Vortex? Or is it even possible to gain speed moving up these stairs?
As far as the design of the stairs go, I'm open to suggestions/change, but I'd rather not turn any in to pure ramps.
I'll probably add/test a ramp jump or two (away from the stairs) to see if they "work" in this map.