Create an account

Poll: Should there be instagib pickup games/tournaments?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
77.78%
7 77.78%
Only instagib pickup games.
11.11%
1 11.11%
Only instagib tournaments.
0%
0 0%
No.
11.11%
1 11.11%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Official Instagib Tournaments/Pickup games

As of right now mainly vanilla has seen a lot of love in the pickup scene and official tournaments. A big part of the community is however also active on the instagib servers. Therefor it could be fun to give this community some love as well ;Wink Tournaments and pickup games would certainly revive a lot of the high tier instagib games in Xonotic and maybe even some of the clan scene! The pickup games and tournaments could include all of the different gamemodes as well, just with the instagib mod. Tell me what you guys think about it!
vega
[Image: 4324.png]

To be clear, I don't want to replace vanilla with instagib as the official Xonotic gamemode like previously suggested by other player(s). Instead I just want some more attention towards instagib by making high level (or any level) pickup games via IRC possible and by making an x amount of official instagib Xonotic tournaments each year.

vega

I think it is a good idea vega.

Kwakkie
[Image: 39855.png]

some years ago we played some 2v2 minsta pickups. 
The other were to high skill (no good memories)
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(09-13-2017, 02:45 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: some years ago we played some 2v2 minsta pickups. 
The other were to high skill (no good memories)

A long time ago DTG used to do pickups a lot as well and last year I organised some myself every sunday, but I don't have the reach the #xonotic.pickup channel has sadly. It would just be amazing to see more instagib pickups again and have some tournaments to play in!

vega

Maybe the lack of instagib tournaments is due to nobody from those communities wanting to do the hosting/organizing part? If you're up for that, then go for it.
I also had no idea that we had official tournaments..

(09-15-2017, 03:37 PM)Smilecythe Wrote: Maybe the lack of instagib tournaments is due to nobody from those communities wanting to do the hosting/organizing part? If you're up for that, then go for it.
I also had no idea that we had official tournaments..

I've tried plenty of times in the past myself and people just don't show up for their matches. Now .exe is organising one and there is also a clanwar this sunday. In 2016 I was also the one with the initiative to organise sunday pickup wars, which were active as long as I was. Sadly the moment I became inactive for a while, they dissapeared. So it's not that nobody wants to organise, it's that not enough people want to organise.

Vanilla has the luck that some devs are willing to promote this style and organise tournaments for it. If you call those official tournaments are not is just a way of perception. However you can't denie that there's a lot more focus on vanilla than on instagib tournament wise. 

vega

There are a handful of instagib players, but I don't think they're the kind that are often on the forums. After all, the best na 1v1 instactf player who has beaten the likes of SPLAT, Mario, floxxy, Totally Cool, etc, who will some day become best American, get his revenge on Islinn, etc, crowned himself as such entirely in-game I think. Unfortunately without the persistence of a web page, he has to tout his accomplishments and a small profile of himself per entry to a game server.
To actually productively get something going and engage those players you might need to advertise in-game, and get people actively talking about it.

(09-16-2017, 04:37 AM)Antares* Wrote: There are a handful of instagib players, but I don't think they're the kind that are often on the forums. After all, the best na 1v1 instactf player who has beaten the likes of SPLAT, Mario, floxxy, Totally Cool, etc, who will some day become best American, get his revenge on Islinn, etc, crowned himself as such entirely in-game I think. Unfortunately without the persistence of a web page, he has to tout his accomplishments and a small profile of himself per entry to a game server.
To actually productively get something going and engage those players you might need to advertise in-game, and get people actively talking about it.

That's what I did (advertising ingame) with the sunday pickup wars and we had a ton of people showing up but nobody wanted to keep organising it once I was to busy. When a bot is organising it for you however, that's where it gets interesting. People would just have to !add themself to the games via IRC.

Vanilla has been used as the official mode of Xonotic, whether people want to admit that or not. Therefor it has seen a lot more exposure and development. One of those ways to get more exposure for the mode are tournaments organised in the name of Xonotic (Xonotic world cup series, Xonotic summer championship,...) Having those kind of tournaments for Instagib as well, would make instagib players maybe check the forums more often and revive a lot of the competitive scene => people organising tournaments themself.

vega

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Super Shotgun pickup Paulby 2 2,048 11-15-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: _para
  [SUGGESTION] Add pickup bot to official IRC channel? poVoq 2 2,015 06-12-2020, 02:13 PM
Last Post: poVoq
  [SUGGESTION] Web facing Pickup page/site end user 6 5,535 08-27-2017, 07:08 PM
Last Post: end user
  [SUGGESTION] XonStats weapon graphs regardless of past games played Antares* 1 2,674 12-21-2016, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Antibody
  [SUGGESTION] Pickup/deploy-able turrents BuddyFriendGuy 6 14,101 05-09-2016, 06:32 PM
Last Post: tZork
  [SUGGESTION] Make instagib/overkill = official asyyy 49 36,843 07-31-2015, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Drauts
  [SUGGESTION] Should There be an official Xonotic T-Shirt? Zeo 13 17,179 01-16-2015, 03:13 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Akimbo pickup item Sarge999 4 4,828 11-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Cyber Killer
  [SUGGESTION] Official builds for FreeBSD and/or OpenSolaris etc. Exitium 17 19,516 06-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Exitium
  [SUGGESTION] Trip through the games Bundy 6 6,315 09-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Last Post: Bundy