Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[NEED HELP] how to get vortex in phdm2?

Anybody knows how to get down to the floating platform to get the vortex? I'm guessing there's some kind of pass code just like xoylent but I can't find it.

Since you can exit the room via a teleporter I assume you get there with a teleporter as well. On map loadup there are 3 errors about teleporters.
However it is possible to get there with the Hook through a gap from below. Big Grin

There's a door by the keypad; within the locked door there's a room with a teleport to the base area with vortex and a bunch of other goodies. By examining the map source (decompile), I was able to found the key 1, 4, 5, 8 are special.

However, I can't get that door to open no matter what I did. (I tried shooting the keys with various weapons.)

Then it occurred to me to google around.

This is the author's original post, and somebody asked the same questions, and somebody else answered it.

The pass code seems to be 4,8,15 (or 4815), but I still can't get that to work. Perhaps the scripts were not compatible with Xonotic?

The code is supposed to be shown on an in-map screen.
Looking at the textures in the pk3, this is it:

.png   comp_showcode.png (Size: 7.29 KB / Downloads: 82)

I also tried to punch in the code, but the door does not open.
The logic is implemented with map entities, so they probably
have not been converted correctly.

.jpg   phdm2_logic.jpg (Size: 44.57 KB / Downloads: 83)

Thanks, sev. (Why does it look so much better in your NetRadiant?)

An easy solution is to just make the door open with touch, skipping the pass code -- this way Vortex will be available again in this map. However, I hesitate changing the mapper's design like this.

Another way to approach it would be re-create the original logic with the updated Xonotic script. I did something similar for a_long_way-bfg_r2 (re-writing the canon firing code), respecting the original mapper's intention. For phdm2, however, I don't know how to experience the map as the mapper intended. Is there an FOSS game that I can use to figure it out?

(01-10-2018, 04:23 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: Why does it look so much better in your NetRadiant?

Because that is an in-game screenshot taken with r_showcollisionbrushes 0.25 Big Grin

One possibility is to use trigger_magicear, which can trigger the door if a player says the password within radius.
This is a lot simpler than the old setup, but the player still has to know the password, as intended by the author.

(01-11-2018, 03:45 AM)sev Wrote: Because that is an in-game screenshot taken with r_showcollisionbrushes 0.25 Big Grin

lol. cool tip!

(01-11-2018, 03:45 AM)sev Wrote: One possibility is to use trigger_magicear, which can trigger the door if a player says the password within radius.
This is a lot simpler than the old setup, but the player still has to know the password, as intended by the author.

"says" the password, like a certain map's secret room for the tuba by a certain mapper? Smile

Since there's the num pad, I feel we should respect the original design. That said, I myself am not certain when I'll find that time to attempt it correctly.

Of course, if you can make the keypad work again that would be awesome.
The magicear is a backup idea, which could be better than to leave the door completely broken.

(01-11-2018, 06:25 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: "says" the password, like a certain map's secret room for the tuba by a certain mapper? Smile

I had to look up how that was done Big Grin. It's a bit more complex, because it supports multiple usernames and passwords.
For phdm2, only a single trigger is needed. And it should be possible to listen to normal chat messages as well.

(01-12-2018, 08:29 AM)sev Wrote:  And it should be possible to listen to normal chat messages as well.

Wow! That's actually exciting! Imagine a map where you have to say "Open Sesame" to open the door!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Sudden loss of sound in Xonotic, can not get it to return. SeveredinTwain 5 3,932 03-26-2020, 05:55 AM
Last Post: FAF
  [SOLVED] how can i get defrag entities in netradiant? bananovenc 5 3,568 01-03-2020, 11:31 AM
Last Post: SpiKe
Photo [NEED HELP] How do I get this crosshair (photo) sovietcat 2 2,641 02-23-2019, 03:21 AM
Last Post: sovietcat
Photo [NEED HELP] How do you get this crosshair? sovietcat 0 2,051 02-22-2019, 12:50 PM
Last Post: sovietcat
  [NEED HELP] Vortex Reticle Molnija 0 1,472 08-17-2018, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Molnija
  [BUG] Can't get compatible refresh rate Lo 2 2,425 01-27-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Lo
  [SOLVED] Cannot get cl_simpleitems_postfix to work sev 12 12,547 09-09-2014, 07:31 AM
Last Post: tZork
  [SOLVED] How to get Xonotic to work with the open-source Radeon driver? MirceaKitsune 16 19,437 11-19-2013, 06:49 AM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune
  [NEED HELP] How to get higher FPS? Micha 13 8,925 04-10-2012, 05:38 AM
Last Post: Micha
  [SOLVED] Can't get server list - wireless DC's knuppel 6 5,625 04-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo