Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Map] G-23 (WIP)

No trak5, it looks great as it originally was. It's a great showcase for the relief mapping and normal mapping effects.

i guess there is no need to say that this is a great map Smile

[Image: xonotic000001xun5.jpg] [Image: xonotic000004z6v2.jpg] [Image: xonotic000007tu0f.jpg] [Image: xonotic000009xua8.jpg] [Image: xonotic0000102u6l.jpg] [Image: xonotic00001125us.jpg]

the crates dont look like crates for transporting something.
the fork lift needs a new model.
one of the crates on the top of the stack is "flying".
the chair need a better model.
the computers are yellow-black.
the places with the commputers are.... well, image you sit there, where would you legs be?

You can still float under the platform outside, because of that trigger_push (why the heck is it there Tongue) (it's trigger_push, right? the forcefield thing)

(08-19-2010, 12:09 PM)jaykay Wrote: (1)the crates dont look like crates for transporting something.
(2)the fork lift needs a new model.
(3)one of the crates on the top of the stack is "flying".
(4)the chair need a better model.
(5)the computers are yellow-black.
(6)the places with the commputers are.... well, image you sit there, where would you legs be?
(1) Use your imagination. They still look like crates Tongue
(2) I can't model, that's morphed's forklift anyways
(3) Fixed
(4) Once again, morphed's chair.
(5) No, really?
(6) This is not too important in my opinion...

By the way, all the shadowing on the models are nothing I can fix. for your image 3rd from the left, I would put a light there. That's why the light is there, duh. For the last image, it's pretty much sheet metal anyways so don't worry about it not looping.

(08-19-2010, 12:47 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: You can still float under the platform outside, because of that trigger_push (why the heck is it there Tongue) (it's trigger_push, right? the forcefield thing)

I'll work on fixing that right away! Tongue
Mapper.

In general a nice map, good attention to detail and interesting layout. You could definitely lift it allot by more attention to light placement and light compile settings tough. Perhaps mark the lamp models to be light mapped too, it would get rid of the fugly vert-lighting on em.

The biggest snag is; you have to pay more attention to texture fitting. theres badly aligned and fitted textures all over the place. Below is a summary of it in image form.

[Image: ao7bps.jpg] [Image: oTvtns.jpg] [Image: Bo3vAs.jpg] [Image: ily5Fs.jpg] [Image: WPLDrs.jpg] [Image: SFhoIs.jpg] [Image: 35YvVs.jpg] [Image: IY2B0s.jpg] [Image: W54Wxs.jpg] [Image: DftFVs.jpg] [Image: ECxpds.jpg]

keep it up the good work =)

(09-07-2010, 07:46 AM)tZork Wrote: In general a nice map, good attention to detail and interesting layout. You could definitely lift it allot by more attention to light placement and light compile settings tough. Perhaps mark the lamp models to be light mapped too, it would get rid of the fugly vert-lighting on em.

The biggest snag is; you have to pay more attention to texture fitting. theres badly aligned and fitted textures all over the place. Below is a summary of it in image form.

[Image: ao7bps.jpg] [Image: oTvtns.jpg] [Image: Bo3vAs.jpg] [Image: ily5Fs.jpg] [Image: WPLDrs.jpg] [Image: SFhoIs.jpg] [Image: 35YvVs.jpg] [Image: IY2B0s.jpg] [Image: W54Wxs.jpg] [Image: DftFVs.jpg] [Image: ECxpds.jpg]

I can fix some of those... The UILS and the overbright lightgrid.... But a lot of the others are because of exx's crappy normal mapping. Turn it off to see that they're perfectly fit... Anyways, I'll work on the ones that I can fix ^.^

How would I go about marking the lamp models for light mapping?
Mapper.

Most of it is not offsetmap related, only the patch.mesh ones i think, and that you can fix by joining the meshes. Most of em is simply a matter of shifting/fitting the surfaces to align with brush-edges.

Light mapping models is a entity key, forgot what one but it should be documented in the entity inspector.

(09-07-2010, 07:46 AM)tZork Wrote: In general a nice map, good attention to detail and interesting layout. You could definitely lift it allot by more attention to light placement and light compile settings tough. Perhaps mark the lamp models to be light mapped too, it would get rid of the fugly vert-lighting on em.

Hey, I don't understand the "negative texscale" thing !
and btw, the tubes (u can see them in pic 5) have very bad anti-aliasing, I have raised the anti-aliasing option to the maximum in Xonotic, and tried driver control panel too on both NVidia and ATI, and it just doesn't change anything. That's in ultra effects settings, I noticed that it's ok in lowest mode, maybe because of a lighting option being tuned on/off. I don't mean it's the mapper's fault, maybe it's the engine.

I think the map needs either less light or more colors, otherwise it looks a bit wrong that lit up. IMO we should go for dark maps like Nexuiz did, but with the difference that Xonotic maps should have much more contrast. The other way around isn't good either, too lit: which IMO this map seems to be (there's always been something about the visuals on g-23 bugging me, I bet it's just that, rust with lots of light doesnt fit together Smile)
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

(09-08-2010, 10:32 AM)FruitieX Wrote: I think the map needs either less light or more colors, otherwise it looks a bit wrong that lit up. IMO we should go for dark maps like Nexuiz did, but with the difference that Xonotic maps should have much more contrast. The other way around isn't good either, too lit: which IMO this map seems to be (there's always been something about the visuals on g-23 bugging me, I bet it's just that, rust with lots of light doesnt fit together Smile)

Eh, the lights've never bugged me, but then again that's just me. I had to brighten it up to fit the normal Xonotic settings (AKA as a n00b would see it) but I suppose I could lower 'em down again. As for the pipes? I'll just change the textures, because those have honestly never fit anyways.
Mapper.

Okay, the boxes do not have a negative texscale, so I suppose that's how they're supposed to be handled then.

I found what may have been the UILS, and tweaked it.

I don't know about the rest of those problems (I don't even know how to join meshes, NetRadiant keeps telling me that they are not mergable.), but from the pictures I can tell you're looking at an outdated version of G-23. The small changes have been committed though.
Mapper.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug [WIP] Aquanica Z(Rus) 15 7,906 12-22-2020, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Z(Rus)
  [Duel] bmn1_b2 (WIP) Beemann 11 7,880 05-27-2020, 02:04 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [DUEL] Graphite (WIP) t0uYK8Ne 15 9,497 05-01-2020, 07:12 PM
Last Post: samiam
  [WIP-b4] KOLOSSUS _para 12 5,754 10-09-2018, 05:13 AM
Last Post: _para
  [WIP]Distortion Justin 35 37,085 08-19-2018, 06:54 AM