Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Map] G-23 (WIP)

(08-03-2010, 02:58 AM)Halogene Wrote: Besides, the whole place could have been made of used parts. Like recycling. If anyone asks, we could say the rust is actually an implied message, a kind of Xonotic statement regarding environmental responsibility and sustainable usage of natural resources. Wasn't that your intention by placing rusty parts in the first place?

Yeah, totally. That's what I've been trying to say this whole time... XD

Nice try, Mr. Jedi-Mind-Tricky, but you won't fool me! Lol.
Mapper.

I knew you would agree.

* Halogene waves hand slightly
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Or, the docking station could have been in use on a planet with an atmosphere, then when it got this old the aliens just launched it into space. Wait, what? Tongue
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

The question is, who would actually put iron in space in the first place? It's heavy.

I like the trak5 retexture more Tongue
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

(08-03-2010, 11:19 AM)Roanoke Wrote: The question is, who would actually put iron in space in the first place? It's heavy.

I like the trak5 retexture more Tongue

Eh, I like the rust-iron feel as it is...

Besides, many other maps don't make sense... What the heck is dance? XD

Or soylent, from Nexuiz... Who would put wood in space?
Mapper.

Interesting map, though I would suggest some more refined details, since the brush details (like the boxes or some of the lamps) don't really fit with the more complex ase/obj/md3 details.

(08-03-2010, 12:47 PM)Moo Wrote: Or soylent, from Nexuiz... Who would put wood in space?

Wood is easy to obtain, no mining or smeltering, therefore it's cheap. It's also relatively light and flexible, yet quite strong.
So, if you have a space elevator [/hint], you may as well send up some wood Tongue

Like the style of the map as it is MooKow, I don't want every map to use the same bloody texture, and i'm sure others don't too, nothing wrong with this, it's a spacedock platform thing, looks it too!
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

(08-02-2010, 01:02 PM)kojn^ Wrote: I think some maps should have some obstacles in them too to make them different, not every map needs to be 'pro' orientated guys, quite like this map, although the inside feels a little small at time's because only the electro area and beneath is the main area's you can move too then your outside from my first glance but looks sweet anyway. For a FFA map it looks sweet though, and can see how popular it picks up for a 1on1/2on2 map Smile

A real pro should be able to adapt to a wide variety of environments. Half the time it seems they get good at using a nex and moving in a non-cluttered environment and as a result want EVERY SINGLE MAP to be like that so that they keep their advantage.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

(08-03-2010, 02:59 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: A real pro should be able to adapt to a wide variety of environments. Half the time it seems they get good at using a nex and moving in a non-cluttered environment and as a result want EVERY SINGLE MAP to be like that so that they keep their advantage.

Yeah that's kinda how I feel about pros. Actually I'm sure that by making maps with clutter in them (and playtesting them), I've become a bit more "pro".
Mapper.

The clutter and the layout is all fine and good, it has good flow and good weapon placement. Would make a nice tdm map.

Wood is not fireproof, which is a major disadvantage Tongue

Few maps seem to be using trak5, it's a very good texture.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

(08-03-2010, 09:22 PM)Roanoke Wrote: The clutter and the layout is all fine and good, it has good flow and good weapon placement. Would make a nice tdm map.

Wood is not fireproof, which is a major disadvantage Tongue

Few maps seem to be using trak5, it's a very good texture.

1) I know I'm being picky, but trak5 is a texture set. Tongue

2) Space_elevator, Dance, Aggressor, Implosion, and Final_Rage make good use of trak5. ^.^
Mapper.

(08-03-2010, 02:59 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Half the time it seems they get good at using a nex and moving in a non-cluttered environment and as a result want EVERY SINGLE MAP to be like that so that they keep their advantage.
You're exactly saying what i meant: clutter tends to average player skills.

Just a reminder maybe obvious for everybody: in 1v1, the essence of the game is to predict where the opponent is. Once the prediction is made, the goal is to go as fast as you can to the right spot where you can catch him. In a cluttered environment, it's just hard to go fast where you want to go. This could be frustrating and then could make a map pointless for 1v1.

So, a risk is that no 1v1 pro will never play on it.
But, like others said, it's not necessarily a primary objective.
Imo, I feel that we don't have so many good 1v1 maps, and Moo's proposal is not far to be a good one.
Fat.bot.Slim

(08-04-2010, 04:13 AM)Rage_ATWM Wrote:
(08-03-2010, 02:59 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Half the time it seems they get good at using a nex and moving in a non-cluttered environment and as a result want EVERY SINGLE MAP to be like that so that they keep their advantage.
Just a reminder maybe obvious for everybody: in 1v1, the essence of the game is to predict where the opponent is. Once the prediction is made, the goal is to go as fast as you can to the right spot where you can catch him. In a cluttered environment, it's just hard to go fast where you want to go. This could be frustrating and then could make a map pointless for 1v1.

Walls also stop you from going as fast as you can to the right spot. Clutter is a part of the environment, just as walls are.
Mapper.

Have you played this map? With fruitie's movement, getting around is very easy. There are obstacles, but they are not impediments.

Ok guys, let's clarify the debate. There are 2 aspects:
point 1: with regards to the clutter, is the Moo's map ok as it is?
point 2: more generally, should a 1v1 map contain some clutter?

point 1:
(08-04-2010, 11:30 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Have you played this map? With fruitie's movement, getting around is very easy. There are obstacles, but they are not impediments.
I didn't. You did. For you it's fine. So no problem.
Modulo some cosmetic details, do we have to conclude that the inclusion in the final game is a just formality? If so, good news for Xonotic team.

point 2:
(08-04-2010, 11:17 AM)Moo Wrote: Walls also stop you from going as fast as you can to the right spot. Clutter is a part of the environment, just as walls are.
As a wise person someday said: "there's something called taking it a bit too far... XD" Wink
In 1v1, walls mainly contribute to hide players from each other, so as to create a path hypothesis part of the game.
The map with no walls has been already created. It's pink, trivial, and never seriously played in duel.
Don't take me wrong: i'm not saying that Moo's map has too much clutter. I just tried to point out that, in general, if clutter reduces the combinatory of possible paths in an unreasonable way, this should be avoided (or reduced) for 1v1 maps.
Fat.bot.Slim

(08-04-2010, 01:25 PM)Rage_ATWM Wrote: Ok guys, let's clarify the debate. There are 2 aspects:
point 1: with regards to the clutter, is the Moo's map ok as it is?
point 2: more generally, should a 1v1 map contain some clutter?

point 1:
(08-04-2010, 11:30 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Have you played this map? With fruitie's movement, getting around is very easy. There are obstacles, but they are not impediments.
I didn't. You did. For you it's fine. So no problem.
Modulo some cosmetic details, do we have to conclude that the inclusion in the final game is a just formality? If so, good news for Xonotic team.

point 2:
(08-04-2010, 11:17 AM)Moo Wrote: Walls also stop you from going as fast as you can to the right spot. Clutter is a part of the environment, just as walls are.
As a wise person someday said: "there's something called taking it a bit too far... XD" Wink
In 1v1, walls mainly contribute to hide players from each other, so as to create a path hypothesis part of the game.
The map with no walls has been already created. It's pink, trivial, and never seriously played in duel.
Don't take me wrong: i'm not saying that Moo's map has too much clutter. I just tried to point out that, in general, if clutter reduces the combinatory of possible paths in an unreasonable way, this should be avoided (or reduced) for 1v1 maps.

1) Whoah, I had to look up the word modulo. XD
Yes, the map is currently very easy to move around... Actually, early in development of the map I made sure to take precautionary measures against movement troubles... And then as I further developed it, I kept finding ways to make it easier to move around. It's very easy to move around.
Currently it's been merged into the master GIT branch, making it the first official Xonotic map, and I'm pretty proud of that. Big Grin

2) Yes, there is something called taking it a bit too far... Big Grin
I'm just trying to get my point across with that... Clutter is a part of the environment, and the clutter in G-23 actually can hide one player from another, and they're hardly in the way if at all... Most clutter in my map is pushed into a corner or against a wall... ^.^

What is this map, that has no walls, and is pink, trivial, and never seriously played in duel? Just from the description, it must be made by Rad_Ished, or FruitieX, no?
Mapper.

He might be referring to eggandbacon Tongue

Oh, by DivVerent. I thought the map he was talking about was ALL pink. hehe
Mapper.

i think it would be also quite neat map for public DM, i mean with more than 2 players. I just found a while to take a look (using nexuiz, so it wasn't very pretty Tongue but i can see on screenshots, that it looks good enough for me).

Yes, really good map imo.

(08-02-2010, 09:16 AM)theShadow Wrote: I also figured out that you can use the laser to go DOWN into the conveyor ramp from the fan lift vents. its tricky, but possible. (like wall climbing, but in reverse)

i wouldn't think of it without your comment Blush but it can be bloody useful
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

Played this map again with cortez and I have to say it's really grown on me.

Only critiscm would be, and dib mentioned this also and one or two others, that where the nexgun is. it is too cramped, is it possible to make the vents bigger so we don't need to crouch? It takes really long to get the nex and get back out again, whilst i'm guessing your reason was to do this purposely it does take a really long time and your opponent can easily get there and basically have you blocked.

There's two exits to the vent, you can fake your opponent out and get out the closest one Tongue

Erm really? Seriously just try fake it, if someone is spamming crylink or the electro combo, they can easily go from one side to the other, just make the vents bigger please mookow Smile

Crylink and electro combo can't reach that far, and hey, don't you have crylink or electro? Tongue

Hey, is this anti-gravity or a bug? I can "fly" when I get under the ground
see screenshot:
[Image: xonotic000004.th.jpg]

and btw, I don't know whether it's because of engine enhancements or the map, but it looks really good, I especially like how the steel reflect light Smile

Another note, is that when shooting at a door using Nex secondary fire, it doesn't "properly" show the impact glowing thing, it seams as if it's passing through the door:
[Image: xonotic000002.th.jpg]

while actually it doesn't, instead it impacts in the middle not on the surface as it would normally do.

I know it's not important, but I thought u may want to know.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug [WIP] Aquanica Z(Rus) 15 7,906 12-22-2020, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Z(Rus)
  [Duel] bmn1_b2 (WIP) Beemann 11 7,880 05-27-2020, 02:04 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [DUEL] Graphite (WIP) t0uYK8Ne 15 9,497 05-01-2020, 07:12 PM
Last Post: samiam
  [WIP-b4] KOLOSSUS _para 12 5,754 10-09-2018, 05:13 AM
Last Post: _para
  [WIP]Distortion Justin 35 37,085 08-19-2018, 06:54 AM
Last Post: Notavi