Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xonotic On A Steam Deck With Gyroscope & Gamepad Input

Rainbow 
I don't know how people are going to feel about this, this might feel like I am desecrating a religious site by playing an arena shooter with a gamepad, but well.... it really does work.

Here is a short video (not an amazing demo but whatever) showing me playing Xonotic on a Steam Deck using gyro+joysticks for control input instead of a mouse and keyboard.
https://lostpod.space/w/wm3bjx31XikfRWYtYF7Pjg

My steam controller mapping for Xonotic is:
  • Gyro set to always on (set it to toggle on and off with dpad if you want)
  • The 4 rear buttons, 2 bumpers and 2 joystick clicks are mapped to the various Xonotic weapons (number keys). You need one more input to get all the guns, I recommend using a button chord between the two bumpers for the last weapon mapping.
  • Left joystick is mapped to a 8 Way (Overlap) directional pad with an Overlap Region setting of 4100. The Outer Command Radius is set to 29395 (might need to fiddle with this value for your particular steam deck), and the Outer Ring Command set to spacebar. When they joystick is pushed passed the Outer Command Radius, the Outer Ring Command is sent. Thus, spacebar is held down.

Before everybody jumps in "why would you do this that is stupid?!"

1. Xonotic runs stone cold on the Steam Deck and you get fantastic battery life for playing on the go
2. Xonotic is on flatpak, so to install Xonotic you just flip the Steam Deck into Desktop Mode, open the Discover package manager, download Xonotic and then navigate to Xonotic in the start menu under applications ->right click add to steam. It takes all of probably 30 seconds to do.
3. Try it before you knock it, seriously!

Gyroscope aiming almost completely eliminates the issue of fine aim control for gamepads with joysticks, and mapping the jump button to trigger as basically an autosprint makes strafe jumping extremely intuitive (echoing an auto-sprint feature in a call of duty type game). It is also just feels good to subtlety shape your strafe jumps with a bit of gyroscope input.

Using gyroscope input doesn't require anything special with a Steam Deck in this case as launching Xonotic through Steam allows you to use the steam controller profile utility to convert gyroscope (and joysticks) into normal mouse input. From Xonotic's perspective I am using a mouse and keyboard.

steering devastator rockets with gyroscope input is fun as heck...

For context aiming with gyro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJIqEX93vL8

(04-17-2024, 05:40 PM)dumpsterlid Wrote: 1. Xonotic runs stone cold on the Steam Deck and you get fantastic battery life for playing on the go

Would you belive if I told you it can be better? Enabling vsync should increase battery life.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Typical linux newbie problems (or why Xonotic needs to be on Steam ASAP) poVoq 4 8,077 03-17-2016, 08:10 AM
Last Post: fool
  |We're currently recruiting admins!|-Steam Group SHOUBISHOCK 5 5,044 08-18-2012, 05:55 AM
Last Post: rocknroll237
  Publishing/Integrating Xonotic with Steam Cheshire Cat 11 12,703 07-02-2010, 01:25 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin