Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clearance for Xonotic in TV Series

Hi Xonotic Community!
I am writing on behalf of Wanted Series 3 which is currently filming in Australia.
The script calls for a fast-paced FPS game being played by two characters and I feel Xonotic suits what we need very well.
As a free, open-source, trademark free game I assume it is OK for us to use Xonotic as the game being played. What appears on screen when it is show to an audience may or may not be recognizable as Xonotic and may or may not include the name 'Xonotic'.
I would like to consult the community here first though and preferably gain some written approval for us to use Xonotic in Wanted Series 3 from the appropriate member here!!
We film the scene next Tuesday so any help would be hugely appreciated!
Thank you,
Jonah

For reference:
[Image: 21975.jpg]

Quote:“To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.” - Douglas Adams

Thumbs Up 
It would be nice if at some point you could actually see the xonotic logo(when someone starts up the game for example - there it appears anyways; or in the main-menu; also some levels including the logo).
I mean this game is 100% non-profit and will remain this way by license but has a slight lack of active playerbase.
So it would be nice if you could help that a little.

But even if you decide that showing the logo is not fitting your script I'd approve anyways.

Another way to ask people and getting a faster answer would be our discord, which is also connected to our IRC:

IRC:
https://webchat.quakenet.org/
Channel: #xonotic

Discord:
https://discordapp.com/invite/0uxcsw1XMkaOB936

Hi!
Thank you for your replies, I will follow up the discord channel too.
So as I understand it there would be no legal conflict by having the game in the series, rather it would be preferential to see the logo and therefore gain exposure. Is that correct?!
I am really keen to use it!

The old Nex version of the game once featured in the Flashpoint TV series.

Considering that the game is a prop, I wouldn't expect too much promotional opportunity.
Showing the name might not be great if the game is portrayed negatively, for example to falsely
imply that it causes violent behaviour. Otherwise, seeing Xonotic on TV would be pretty neat.

Legal issues are usually handled by divVerent.
Other people to seek out for "official" responses are Mario or Antibody.

Thanks for the info Sev!

It's only being played casually in the background and isn't portrayed as a cause for violent behavior. I can provide the exact script excerpt if need be.

I will try to reach out to them on the Discord channel.

Thanks!

(07-11-2018, 05:47 AM)Jonah Wrote: Hi!
Thank you for your replies, I will follow up the discord channel too.
So as I understand it there would be no legal conflict by having the game in the series, rather it would be preferential to see the logo and therefore gain exposure. Is that correct?!
I am really keen to use it!

The license only excludes derivates of this game being used commercially. So if you'd take xonotic and make your own game with it, it must be the same license, which makes it free and open source.
(you also may call it differently while having the same unchanged content - would't make much sense but is possible)

I honestly don't know what it means in terms of using it commercially as being referred to. But I highly doubt that anyone here would hate you for promoting/playing the game we love.
Even if the protagonist playing the game would be a sick dude preparing an assault and using the game to amp up his hatred. (but I'd like to say that this is a nice community and it would be a badly researched plot taking the common shooter-makes-psychos-attitude)

Reading the plot-section on the wiki it seems more like the protagonists will stumble upon a stranger who likes shooter. (sry I'm not much into series watching)

But I'd be keen on watching at least the episode this game could be featured in - even if its like: 'Oh that second! There it was.'

@sev: I think most people nowadays know that shooters wont make psychos... except the elderly non-media population
But netflix is more targeted at younger people anyways.

If your characters played my latest map "Tuhma", that'd be great Wink

Hey Jonah, thanks for your interest!

I'm one of the core team members of this game, so feel free to reach out to me on IRC (Antibody/dfdashh) or Discord (Antibody) if you have any questions. In short, you're free to use the game for your filming purposes. I'd just recommend you stick to all the free assets and maps just to avoid any potential issues. The map recommended by Smilecythe is a good one to use visually, but we can get you a short list of some of the more recent ones that take full advantage of all the engine's features.

You can reach me via email at antibody@xonotic.org as well. I look forward to talking w/ you!
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

I hope this brings in more US players, because I'm sick of playing with only 3 people online

Thanks for the map suggestion Smilecythe! I'll do what I can to use that map if it suits Big Grin

Thanks for the help and information everyone, so far it looks safe to use Xonotic. It will only be featured very briefly but I will endeavor to let the community know when and where it appears in the series!

This is great! I hope you let us know when the episode is going to air. Big Grin

I'll also happily watch that episode just because it has my fav game in it.

Thats absolutely fantastic, I would love to see Xonotic being played more altogether so that is a brilliant thing! Also would watch the episode myself Smile
Say HELLO from the Xonotic scene to people over there, we love you.

(07-13-2018, 11:13 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: I'll also happily watch that episode just because it has my fav game in it.

He needs to tell you which episode its in.

did this ever materialize or no?
pearl best idol (not pictured); pfp found randomly online

(06-27-2023, 03:49 AM)anoob Wrote: did this ever materialize or no?

Guess you have to watch season 3 Smile
FAF - FERIS - COPENHAGEN - DENMARK - GNU/Linux  Heart
Homepage: https://feris-xonotic.net

It appeared on episode 4

(07-09-2023, 06:07 PM)L497 Wrote:

It appeared on episode 4

xonotic splitscreen when
pearl best idol (not pictured); pfp found randomly online

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My highlights from Xonotic World Cup Series Major #2 zeroql 4 5,105 07-19-2017, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Xonotic World Cup Series Major #1 Demo thread Islinn 0 3,208 01-24-2017, 10:48 PM
Last Post: Islinn
  BBC Series Accused Ep2 "Mo's Story" GreenMeanie 5 7,296 08-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Last Post: neXus