Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making New Weapons

Hi, How can I Use the default Weapons and files to make new weapons with different stats and different sounds but still keep the originals safe. And if I can how would I add them into the game to use.

(09-07-2018, 10:28 PM)Lyberta Wrote: You will need to edit QuakeC code. This would involve mostly copy pasting.

Reference: https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic-data....quests/461

Okay, So I have no idea what those are and to be honest they give me a headache.

Which Files to I need to copy and stuff like that?

@Molnija, do you mean you just want to change things like the damage points the current weapons make, and their firing sounds, etc.? For that, you don't need to write code. 

To replace the sound with your customized sound, look in your Xonotic data folder, and create a directory called sound, then under it a directory called weapons, and put your own weapon sounds there to replace the original ones. You can find the filenames of the weapon sounds here.

For example, if you want to have your own crylink_fire.ogg sound, put your own file in (assuming you are using Linux with default path settings; if you are using other OS, see here):

~/.xonotic/data/sound/weapons/crylink_fire.ogg

Then run Xonotic. Your file will be used instead of the default sound.

To change weapon damages, see this thread.

Hope this helps.

(09-29-2018, 09:58 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: @Molnija, do you mean you just want to change things like the damage points the current weapons make, and their firing sounds, etc.? For that, you don't need to write code. 

To replace the sound with your customized sound, look in your Xonotic data folder, and create a directory called sound, then under it a directory called weapons, and put your own weapon sounds there to replace the original ones. You can find the filenames of the weapon sounds here.

For example, if you want to have your own crylink_fire.ogg sound, put your own file in (assuming you are using Linux with default path settings; if you are using other OS, see here):

~/.xonotic/data/sound/weapons/crylink_fire.ogg

Then run Xonotic. Your file will be used instead of the default sound.

To change weapon damages, see this thread.

Hope this helps.

I've already done that, but I want to have more weapon choices with different sounds. Cause it gets boring with only the default weapons and stuff.

Can anyone help me out with this which files do I copcopy and edit and stuff like that.

My post was about how to replace the sound. I thought you already did that, no?

(10-06-2018, 07:28 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: My post was about how to replace the sound. I thought you already did that, no?

I know how to change those, Ive done so multiple times. I want to make a different weapon with the sound and specs and stuff.

(10-07-2018, 02:36 PM)Lyberta Wrote: Do you want to create completely new weapons?

Yeah, if thats even possible.

-New Weapons from the old ones with different stats and sounds from the original.

(10-09-2018, 01:35 PM)Lyberta Wrote: If you want completely new weapons, you will have to copy the QuakeC code of a weapon you want to work from and edit it. Most weapons' source code is located inside qcsrc/common/weapons/weapon directory.

First, you will need to checkout and built a git version of Xonotic.

Okay, Hopefully I don't mess up anything @_O

(10-09-2018, 01:35 PM)Lyberta Wrote: If you want completely new weapons, you will have to copy the QuakeC code of a weapon you want to work from and edit it. Most weapons' source code is located inside qcsrc/common/weapons/weapon directory.

First, you will need to checkout and built a git version of Xonotic.

Okay, Im lost. Can you give me a step by step guide so I don't screw up my installation. >_<

(10-24-2018, 02:41 PM)Lyberta Wrote: Isn't that link a guide?

So I got a copy and stuff. So now what do I need to copy and edit. also im using the one I just cloned (msys64) right? Then I compile it and itll show up in game??

(10-26-2018, 09:16 AM)Lyberta Wrote: So if you have a git version you can now try to build it. It won't overwrite your downloaded version but will use the same configuration files as a non-git version. Once you have git version running, you can start editing QC files in data/xonotic-data.pk3dir/qcsrc

when I run the ./all run xonotic or similar commands it says darkplaces/darkplaces not found aborting :/

(10-27-2018, 05:07 AM)Lyberta Wrote: Then you don't have enough dependencies to build it. It looks like you need to look at that page again and see how to install them.

ill just erase the whole thing and redo it since it says I already have all of them Sad

(10-27-2018, 05:07 AM)Lyberta Wrote: Then you don't have enough dependencies to build it. It looks like you need to look at that page again and see how to install them.

Nope, Still the same. So IDK it says all the dependencies are there I just cant run the command

(10-28-2018, 08:35 AM)Lyberta Wrote: Can you post the entire output?

LAPTOP-XXXXXXXX MINGW64 ~/xonotic
$ ./all run xonotic
Timing via the time utility works.
Found main repo = git://de.git.xonotic.org/xonotic/
Repository . enabled because it already exists
Repository data/xonotic-data.pk3dir enabled because it already exists
Repository data/xonotic-music.pk3dir enabled because it already exists
Repository data/xonotic-nexcompat.pk3dir disabled by default, create data/xonotic-nexcompat.pk3dir.yes to enable
Repository darkplaces enabled because it already exists
Repository netradiant enabled because it already exists
Repository div0-gittools disabled by default, create div0-gittools.yes to enable
Repository d0_blind_id enabled because it already exists
Repository data/xonotic-maps.pk3dir enabled because it already exists
Repository mediasource disabled by default, create mediasource.yes to enable
Repository gmqcc enabled because it already exists
Repository xonstat disabled by default, create xonstat.yes to enable
Repository xonstatdb disabled by default, create xonstatdb.yes to enable
Repository xonotic.org disabled by default, create xonotic.org.yes to enable
Repository wiki disabled by default, create wiki.yes to enable
Client darkplaces/darkplaces not found, aborting

I want to do the same thing but can't find the weapons codes. Please HELP!!!!
minstanex erebus Angel

(12-20-2018, 10:01 AM)3agle427 Wrote: I want to do the same thing but can't find the weapons codes. Please HELP!!!!

https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic-data....ons/weapon

(01-26-2019, 08:51 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote:
(12-20-2018, 10:01 AM)3agle427 Wrote: I want to do the same thing but can't find the weapons codes. Please HELP!!!!

Thanks I'll look into it. BTW love your server, me and my friends play on it all the time!
minstanex erebus Angel

(01-26-2019, 11:22 PM)3agle427 Wrote: Thanks I'll look into it. BTW love your server, me and my friends play on it all the time!

Awesome! We are glad to have you in the community.

I got to that part but what do I edit and change to make a new weapon and do I register the weapon somewhere or it just shows up, cause I have no earthly idea.

(01-27-2019, 04:02 PM)Molnija Wrote:

I got to that part but what do I edit and change to make a new weapon and do I register the weapon somewhere or it just shows up, cause I have no earthly idea.

My advice is to just experiment with it until you find what works, then document it.
minstanex erebus Angel

I share the guide of developers which I've been learning, there is a weapons section from the Programming QuakeC stuff, where explains the programming part of the weapons: https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/-/wik...-functions

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Standalone Overkill weapons Lyberta 16 17,764 09-03-2021, 11:26 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Random start weapons Lyberta 0 2,678 09-23-2017, 09:18 PM
Last Post: Lyberta
  [SOLVED] Orienting weapons to bones (CSQC) toneddu2000 3 6,697 03-30-2015, 04:26 PM
Last Post: toneddu2000
  Where can I find the self animated weapons from Nexuiz? MirceaKitsune 14 16,713 11-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune
Brick Weapons defined in text files / de-harding weapons [feature debate] MirceaKitsune 41 44,296 10-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Last Post: hutty
  How to make new weapons? Kris 2 4,733 09-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Information Alternatives to removing core weapons MirceaKitsune 6 7,887 09-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Last Post: hutty
  Replacing spawn weapons Samual 140 151,774 07-07-2012, 04:57 AM
Last Post: asyyy
  weapons not dropping in minsta games zypresse 9 10,530 01-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Last Post: zypresse
  Testing weapons MmmMmmGud 0 3,168 08-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Last Post: MmmMmmGud