Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Xonotic Defrag World Championship 2018

Hello Xonoticians!
We proudly present you the Xonotic Defrag World Championship 2018! XDWC is a CTS tournament where we invite everyone to join and have some fun.

FAQ

What is Defrag?
In Xonotic it is played in the CTS (Complete the Stage) mode using the XDF physics set. The goal is to complete a map as fast as possible.

How does XDWC work? (detailed rules further down below)
- Every player can join it at any time!
- 5 unique and unreleased maps will be played
- Your time and ranking will be converted into a score for each map
- Player with the highest score after all maps will be crowned as the Winner

How do I get better?
There are two tutorial streams available as VODs:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crEfpslf-g4
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_-t_Z0Z2ic

Don't be afraid to even ask other players directly! Usually, they can tell you where you can improve or what you're doing wrong.
Records from "Xonotic DeFrag - Join/Run now! - balance changes [XDF]" server can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3wiAbR...g2LnhjU7zw

Contact
Webpage: https://xdwc.teichisma.info/
IRC: QuakeNet, #xdf - https://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=xdf
Discord: https://discord.gg/ja7hFeG

Rules
  • Each Map (aka. Round) will be played for 1 week (see Schedule) on special servers, which are going to run 24/7.
  • You do not need to register beforehand to take part in XDWC!
  • You automatically join the tournament by setting a time on one of the servers listed below.
  • You do not have to take part in every Round, you can join each Round seperately as you like it. However, you won't be able to submit a time for a round that has already passed.
  • Your best time in the server rankings will be your time for the Round. The time must be set on an official server (see the list below)! You can NOT run a map locally and submit a time.
  • Weapon projectiles may not affect any runs other than the one they were fired in. Violating this rule makes your run invalid.
  • By joining the tournament you agree that we store your username and your results in our databases.
  • Players who have disabled stats tracking are not eligible for the rankings.
  • We are going to use the EESystem as scoring system. (edit: Only point #1 and their c2 calculation is bugged)
    tl;dr: 1st place gets 1000 points and every other score is based on the difference between their time and the 1st place time, also the ranking influences the personal score slightly. The closer you are to 1st place the higher your score gets, therefore every hundredth of a second matters!

Servers

https://xdwc.teichisma.info/servers/

Schedule
1st October - 7th October - Round 1: xdwc2018-1 by [Image: 55.gif] sinety
8th October - 14th October - Round 2: xdwc2018-2 by [Image: 55.gif] Mirio
15th October - 21st October - Round 3: xdwc2018-3 by [Image: 55.gif] packer
22nd October - 28th October - Round 4: xdwc2018-4 by [Image: 55.gif] Mirio & [Image: 55.gif] Freddy
29th October - 4th November - Round 5: xdwc2018-5 by [Image: 139.gif] -z-

Shoutouts to [Image: 55.gif] Käsebrot for donating 15 EUR for each map and to [Image: 55.gif] sinety and [Image: 51.gif] Wind for creating sweet XDWC logos!
Also [Image: 112.gif] Dekry; [Image: 55.gif] Donald & [Image: 55.gif] Mirio donated big monies to provide NA and RUS servers.

Admins
[Image: 112.gif] Dekry; [Image: 55.gif] Donald; [Image: 55.gif] Mirio; [Image: 137.gif] Morosophos; [Image: 55.gif] packer; [Image: 55.gif] sinety; [Image: 139.gif] -z-

Standings

>>> https://xdwc.teichisma.info/ <<<

Nice to see some Defrag competition going on! Smile

glhf runners
LoverTaleb

Looking forward to it!  Thanks everyone who has made this happen!

[Image: de9a47073fe417c9e41a464bb6b988690071eb44.jpg]

Servers are up and prepared to welcome every player!
https://xdwc.teichisma.info/servers/

Starts tonight at 00:00 UTC!

Very good idea! I need to get better at strafing anyway :oD
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Starting off the competition strong.  Already have a few mind-blowing times, and it's been less than 24 hours!

50 players put their name on the board within the first 24 hours! Amazing!

RULES UPDATE

"Weapon projectiles may not affect any runs other than the one they were fired in. Violating this rule makes your run invalid."

Top 10 of Round 1 summarized in one video:

Round 3 is now live and you can still join the tournament if you have not yet!

I think the map authors should also get credits for making these fantastic maps! I can't even imagine how much work that must have been. Perhaps we can show the authors' names in the video?
I also want to thank the organizers of XDWC, and the folks who told me to give it a try. To tell the truth, I never understood the fun until this time. Big thanks!

Video of Round 2
Thanks for feedback Buddyfriendguy....

This is awesome! Thank you!

Some CTS beginner's thoughts -- they may or may not be valid:

1. Can the XDWC records be part of stats.xonotic.org? I love the video shows the top 10 runners, and then a screenshot shows the top 20 participants. However, I think it will encourage participation if there's some kind of record somewhere.

2. Does it make sense to encourage all levels of participants of all levels to join and complete a map, by providing an alternative way to  slowly crawl to the next rooms, say, by crawling through a transparent tube? This way, those who can't get pass certain hurdles, can still somehow experience the race by being a patient turtle, and therefore appreciate the art of running more. I'm not sure how this will affect the aesthetics of the maps, or the workload of the organizers, though.

(10-21-2018, 04:48 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: This is awesome! Thank you!

Some CTS beginner's thoughts -- they may or may not be valid:

1. Can the XDWC records be part of stats.forums.org? I love the video shows the top 10 runners, and then a screenshot shows the top 20 participants. However, I think it will encourage participation if there's some kind of record somewhere.

2. Does it make sense to encourage all levels of participants of all levels to join and complete a map, by providing an alternative way to  slowly crawl to the next rooms, say, by crawling through a transparent tube? This way, those who can't get pass certain hurdles, can still somehow experience the race by being a patient turtle, and therefore appreciate the art of running more. I'm not sure how this will affect the aesthetics of the maps, or the workload of the organizers, though.

From what I've seen, the maps so far have actually included these "slow alternate routes" in most rooms; perhaps with the exception of packer's map, especially the platform or "mushroom" rooms, which took me (a CTS noob) like 1 hour to successfully navigate for the first time. A shortcut there was actually possible, but packer apparently decided to prevent a slow passage (hopping along the bases of those "mushrooms") by changing the design of the second last "mushroom" such that one could not jump away from its base anymore *evil packer* #packerfault.
Thanks to all involved for creating this tournament, though, it's been mostly fun!

(10-21-2018, 05:13 PM)Bloodthorn Wrote: From what I've seen, the maps so far have actually included these "slow alternate routes" in most rooms; perhaps with the exception of packer's map, especially the platform or "mushroom" rooms, which took me (a CTS noob) like 1 hour to successfully navigate for the first time. A shortcut there was actually possible, but packer apparently decided to prevent a slow passage (hopping along the bases of those "mushrooms") by changing the design of the second last "mushroom" such that one could not jump away from its base anymore *evil packer* #packerfault.
Thanks to all involved for creating this tournament, though, it's been mostly fun!

You can pass this part of the map fairly slow jumping from one to the other platform....
And for the last part... either you generate a bit of speed before that last platform or you can even jump from halt with a bit sense of strafing onto the final ground.
All other rooms also have assistance... 
I have lowered the height of the last platforms to avoid that fast people bump into wall or have to slow down to pass the corridor into the next room.
Yes, i could have made this easier by e.g. moving the ground closer to the last platform... But I decided that this part of map is easy enough. At some point some newbies must be sacrified Big Grin .

(10-21-2018, 04:48 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: ot be valid:

1. Can the XDWC records be part of stats.xonotic.org? I love the video shows the top 10 runners, and then a screenshot shows the top 20 participants. However, I think it will encourage participation if there's some kind of record somewhere.

The official stats site has very poor support of CTS in general (most likely cause Antibody never plays this mode himself and we never bothered to provide him clear requirements to improve that). We rolled our own stats site for the cup, which was mentioned in the original post - https://xdwc.teichisma.info/ All records including the most shittiest ones are listed there.

I'm starting a new thread on the stats to avoid non-XDWC-specific discussion here.

Now, what does this rule mean?
Quote:Weapon projectiles may not affect any runs other than the one they were fired in. Violating this rule makes your run invalid.
Does it mean if I fire the secondary Mortar at the spawn point, and suicide, and then gain speed when I spawn, then it doesn't count?

(10-22-2018, 04:36 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote:
Quote:Weapon projectiles may not affect any runs other than the one they were fired in. Violating this rule makes your run invalid.
Does it mean if I fire the secondary Mortar at the spawn point, and suicide, and then gain speed when I spawn, then it doesn't count?

As I understand it, that would be an example of an illegal move.

I also have two questions: The EE-Scoring system document specifies that for tournaments with 5 or more rounds, the worst round for each player will be discarded in the total score. Since the current tournament has 5 rounds, will this apply? And will rounds that did not log a time for a player at all be able to count as the worst round for that player (according to the document this should not happen)?

I just discovered an error in the calculation of scores on the official standings site btw.:
In the reference document for the EE-Scoring system it is specified that the second coefficient (c2) is calculated as follows:

Code:
1.2 Calculating c2
c2 is split into three parts:
From rank 1 through rank 50, where the #1 rank = 100% points awarded, every preceding place will have 1% taken away from the points that are rewarded relative to the top #1 rank time.
From rank 51 through rank 100 – points will be reduced by 0.5% for every preceding place
From rank 101 and so on, points will be reduced by 0.25%.
It would look like this
1st place – 100%
2nd place – 99%
5th place – 95%  
10th place – 90%
50th place – 50%
51st place– 49.5%  
52nd place – 49%
60th place – 45%
100th place – 25%
101st place – 24.75%
102nd place – 24.5%
And so on.

Therefore c2 = (Percenage of points for the rank of the competitor)/(Percentage of points for the top one time [as in 100%])  
Let’s calculate c2 for the following example. A player placed 20th and so, clearly c2 = (80%)/(100%) = 0.8

I calculated my score as well as some other scores according to the values found on https://xdwc.teichisma.info/ and found that I could not reproduce the scores shown there. After investigating this a bit I found that if the second coefficient's divisor is consistenly 0.01 lower than it should be, the scores found there can be reproduced reliably. Presumably this happened because the rank is taken as displayed to subtract from 100 to get the divisor (e.g. for rank 2: 100 - 2 = 98, when it should be 99 as you can see in the quoted part of the document).
This means that everyone except the respective winners of the rounds have received lower scores than they should have, giving the round winners an undue advantage (at least with respect to how the scoring system is laid out in the reference document for the scoring system linked in the OP of this thread).

Edit:

this inconsistency is included in the design document example as well, by the way: the document states
Code:
From rank 1 through rank 50, where the #1 rank = 100% points awarded, every preceding place will have 1% taken away from the points that are rewarded relative to the top #1 rank time.

This is reflected in the list for rank 2:

Code:
It would look like this
1st place – 100%
2nd place – 99%
because the second rank should have 1% taken away, as was stated in the document.
However, the examples after that defy that rule:

Code:
1st place – 100%
2nd place – 99%
5th place – 95% 
The fifth place has 4 people above it in the rankings, which means 4% should be deducted. As you can see the document claims that now 5% are deducted, which does not follow from the outlined principle such that either the principle is wrong or the example. The same holds true for the rest of the example list (they should all have 1% added to them).

We noticed this as well prior to the tournament and changed it that 2nd place gets calculated with 98%. This also gives 1st place a little extra boost.

Code:
1st place - 100%
2nd place - 98%
3rd place - 97%
4th place - 96%
5th place - 95%
[...]

We can not change this document cause it is from the Q3A Defrag guys.

Could have posted your own (modified) version of the document to link in the OP Wink

So what about the NASCAR stuff, will that apply? (worst round gets dropped)
And if so, will rounds with no logged times be counted as the worst?

c2 coefficients for positions up to 1000 - https://paste.rs/JDy
The code used to calculate it (for all positions >= 2)
Code:
from decimal import Decimal

def calculate_c2(pos):
   order = pos // 50
   subpos = pos - order * 50
   base = Decimal(100) / 2 ** order
   mul = Decimal(1) / 2 ** order
   return base - subpos * mul

(10-23-2018, 10:01 AM)Bloodthorn Wrote: Could have posted your own (modified) version of the document to link in the OP Wink

So what about the NASCAR stuff, will that apply? (worst round gets dropped)
And if so, will rounds with no logged times be counted as the worst?

We never intended to use NASCAR dropping. The OP was updated to mention this.

Sorry about the confusion, but we're only adopting the calculation method (point #1) of the document, with fixed c2 calculation. Added it to the main post.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Xonotic Defrag World Championship 2022 Mirio 10 5,979 5 hours ago
Last Post: mariahcarey
  Xonotic Defrag World Championship 2023 Mirio 10 3,362 11-14-2023, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  Xonotic January 2022 Duel Championship SpiKe 15 7,203 02-02-2022, 03:06 AM
Last Post: hotdog
  MAP POLL for the Xonotic January 2022 Duel Championship SpiKe 0 2,138 12-13-2021, 03:45 PM
Last Post: SpiKe
  Xonotic Defrag World Championship 2021 Mirio 7 4,641 11-15-2021, 11:58 AM
  Xonotic Defrag World Championship 2020 Mirio 17 9,828 11-26-2020, 09:52 AM
  Xonotic Defrag World Championship 2019 Mirio 10 7,251 12-04-2019, 04:19 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  XQC #90. InstaGib FFA (1v1v1v1 DM) Championship! morosophos 22 13,643 03-17-2019, 02:35 AM
Last Post: morosophos
  Xonotic Winter Championship 2018 Mirio 26 13,688 03-07-2018, 09:06 AM
Last Post: It'sMe
  Xonotic World Cup Series Major #2 Mirio 15 10,146 07-22-2017, 05:57 PM