Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[SUGGESTION] Rotating Skybox Idea

Hey there,
i want to ask if we can try to do in Xonotic an rotating skybox like in Unreal Tournament 99

Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfU5Tk9kusM

Its an video of Facing Worlds, and there u can see really good how the sky rotates.

I want to ask this coz then it will feel like u really play in space.

Hope i get an answer soon!!

Asgar

P.S.:I did this in another forum section, could u delete it there?

I like this idea, no idea if it can be done though.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Most likely it can't be done, but would be great.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

It can be done using misc_model, _skybox and tcmod scroll.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

yeh I haven't tried but i think it can be done. as divVerent said

would be great if we can add this effect to one of the space levels
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

A rotating skybox would be quite interesting.

(08-09-2010, 12:09 AM)divVerent Wrote: It can be done using misc_model, _skybox and tcmod scroll.

Am I completely missing something, or do you mean a sphere + skydome texture?
Because using the existing skycubes, I don't really see how this could be done...

Anyway, the _skybox entity already has the ability to be rotated (angle/angles), wouldn't it be possible to change the angle in-game, i.e. animate a rotation?

Yes, sphere+skydome

And no, the _skybox entity is a pure map compiler entity and does not exist in game.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Thanks for the clarification.

(08-09-2010, 10:38 PM)divVerent Wrote: And no, the _skybox entity is a pure map compiler entity and does not exist in game.

Too bad. I guess rotating a model in the skybox won't work either.

Is there a reason why I can't see _sev's posts...weird, at work..they shoot to the top of the page Big Grin
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

I think this would benefit maps as stormkeep2. You played the map a few times already, but suddenly you stand still, looking outside a window, realizing that the sky is rotating fast and wondering where you are and what this building is for. If its even a building...
And it would make maps less static and more interesting.

Wouldn't spheres cause deformation of the textures?
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

If they were sphere projected skies, then no.
Cube projected... ayup.
nomnomnomnonmonm:
"the best trolls are indistinguishable from idiots"

Pretty sure you have that backwards...

"In the majority of cases, cube mapping is preferred over the older method of Sphere mapping because it eliminates many of the problems that are inherent in sphere mapping such as image distortion, viewpoint dependency, and computational efficiency."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cube_mapping

As always, it greatly depends on how it's done. As far as scrolling goes, skydomes work considerably well while skycubes are hopeless. Though you'll need a texture of at least 2048x2048, and with a standard UV sphere (Blender) you will get some happily sparkling poles.

good idea! I think it would look awesome!
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

I'm saying this because it needs to be said...

This could cause some dizziness/sickness, best keep it to maps with limited skybox visibility, or make it move slow.

Personally I like the idea, the more disorientated you are the better Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Is adding a Quake-like laser to the main game a good idea? cushinga 2 1,073 03-28-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  [SUGGESTION] Hagar Idea VertX 4 4,255 01-02-2016, 07:02 AM
Last Post: [*Mr.Chri$*]
  [SUGGESTION] Rocket Launcher model idea Beagle 5 6,056 05-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Ogger73
  [SUGGESTION] random hagar idea frostwyrm333 7 7,538 02-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Last Post: asyyy
Smile [SUGGESTION] Idea: Player-centric Xonotic lamefun 16 19,178 12-18-2013, 01:13 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Information [SUGGESTION] Idea: Forum cleanup? Samual 14 18,473 10-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Last Post: unfa
  [SUGGESTION] A vehicle Tank Idea aa 13 11,933 08-01-2013, 06:20 AM
Last Post: satuim
Exclamation [SUGGESTION] Idea: The Great Petitions lamefun 2 4,469 07-12-2013, 05:40 AM
Last Post: lamefun
  [SUGGESTION] Idea: Organize the qc gamecode as a script bundle, and auto-compile it at startup MirceaKitsune 9 10,420 03-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Samual
  [SUGGESTION] idea for the plot... if there is one. Wario 16 12,166 08-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Last Post: aa