Create an account

Poll: Would you like to enable blaster pushing of other players?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
47.06%
8 47.06%
No
52.94%
9 52.94%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
XQC #90. InstaGib FFA (1v1v1v1 DM) Championship!

Hello, fellow instagibbers!

After so many duel cups with large and not so large success, what about trying a completely new format? Not so insanely competitive, but rather designed more for fun and active relaxation.

Quick facts:
- 1v1v1v1 DM
- InstaGib, Hook (see Balance section below for details)
- Servers: TBD
- Timelimit: 5
- Fraglimit: 0
- Modus: Multi-round, multi-league (see below for full description)
- Mappool: Warfare, Farewell (laserfun), Evilspace, Bloodrun (QL version), crucible, 70mm13_02, industrial, siege, asylum, cubes, ruiner, chronic
- Date/time: Saturday, March 16th 2019 19:00 CET [UTC+1] // http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/
- Admins: morosophos
- Skill level: any

Check-in:

Check-in starts at 18:00 CET at the #xonotic.cup channel on quakenet. Please notify about your participation by saying something like "I want to check in". Also if you have any preferences to be assigned to a higher (to be more competitive) or a lower (just to play some relaxed games) league, you can tell about that too. Admins will try to fulfill your request, but no guarantee that they will be able to.

https://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=#xonotic.cup

Format:

After the check-in all players are sorted by the strength and assigned into leagues, each league consisting of 4 players. Players #1 to #4 form the 1st league, players #5 to #8 the 2nd league, and so on.

Then we play 12 rounds (*), where each round is the following:

1. each league plays bo1 game (timelimit 5, fraglimit 0) (**) on a random map, which hasn't yet been played. Every league plays the same map during each round, there will be a separate server for each league.
 2. the best player of each league except the highest one is promoted to the upper league.
 3. the worst player of each league except the lowest one is demoted to the lower league.
 4. #2 and #3 players stay in the league they played.
 5. Round tiebreaking order: number of frags (kills-suicides), number of deaths, the time needed to reach the number of frags (less time better), random.

This format will ensure that noobs don't get stomped by hardcore veterans, veterans get their fun for playing against similarly skilled opponents, and players from the lower leagues still get their chance to fight their way to the very top. Smile

For each round every player gets his score, which is calculated as follows:

score = frags * 1.15^(log(1.5 * number_of_leagues) / log(1.15) * (number_of_leagues - league_number) / (number_of_leagues - 1))

This formula ensures that guys in the higher leagues get more score for their frags and the more you stay in higher leagues, the more chances you get to win the tournament.

Total player score for the tournament is the sum of the scores the player earned during each round.

(*) - the number of rounds can be adjusted before the start if too many or too few players available.
(**) - i.e. each game lasts 5 minutes and you can score as many frags as you can. It's different from the current FFA settings when the game ends when one player scores 30 frags.

Balance:

The balance will be the same as currently used on exe.pub FFA server. Primary refire 0.6, hook fly speed 6000, hook pull speed 5000, vampire hook, breakable hook, players can be pushed with blaster (UPDATE: will be decided by the poll), no nades, no player crushing, no spawnshield, restart after countdown.

Players are allowed to customize client-side cvars per their liking. r_sky, gl_picmip, crosshair, etc - no restrictions.

Organization:

There will be a website with current league distribution, current map, and current score. Before each game players should check the website, find their league and join the server for their league. Improper games (when players joined a wrong league or played a wrong map) don't count and have to be re-done. Note, that servers will have warmup enabled, don't forget to press f4 to start the game (or vcall allready).

After the round ends, players should re-visit the website, wait till the round results appear there, check the new map for the next round and check if they are relegated or promoted. In the latter case, they should join the server of their new league. The website address will be announced during check-in.

The final scores will be published on the website and forums.

Demos will be recorded on the server per each client.

Rage quits/connection problems:

If a player disconnected from an active game he may ask other players of the league to restart the round. Other players decide to agree or not agree for the restart by voting. (please use timeout for discussing). Note, that repeated offenders (3 disconnects or more) will be disqualified.

Contact
IRC: #clanexe at quakenet. Discord: https://discord.gg/EaxQy76

UPDATES
* Increased league scoring coefficient to 1.8.
* Enhanced the score formula a bit (thanks GATTS and Packer for criticism and suggestions)

Looking forward to using my shameful camping tactics here.

(03-04-2019, 05:31 AM)Smilecythe Wrote:
Quote:players can be pushed with blaster
:/

Don't make this minor inconvenience an excuse for not participating)

As we get more people against the blaster push I decided to place a poll about that. Please vote!

I say live with it. Sometimes some players pushed me with blasters too.I cant say i like it in that moment,but its a legal option in xon.Some "Superplayer" wanna change that? Makin the game more that way they like it? Not everything under control if someone pushes you? Thats the game......Its  a good answer for gamer who likes to hide or camp.

I'd like to see blaster pushing on public servers. I mean if you can hit someone with the blaster you could have already killed it. Or just disturb movement so someone else can finish off(+teamplay; maybe not good for FFA). It would add a whole layer of fun new tactics.

Not participating though, sry.

(03-05-2019, 01:13 PM)Defiant Wrote: Sometimes some players pushed me with blasters too.I cant say i like it in that moment,but its a legal option in xon.Some "Superplayer" wanna change that? Makin the game more that way they like it? Not everything under control if someone pushes you? Thats the game......
It's not what the game used to be though. Back when I played instagib actively, instagib was about positioning and accuracy, but now people can get away with shit position and shit accuracy if they spam hook and blaster as fast as humanly possible. Maybe people are into that these days and that's fine.. That is the way of open source games. It doesn't appeal to me and that's one reason why I quit instagib.

(03-05-2019, 03:45 PM)Smilecythe Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 01:13 PM)Defiant Wrote: Sometimes some players pushed me with blasters too.I cant say i like it in that moment,but its a legal option in xon.Some "Superplayer" wanna change that? Makin the game more that way they like it? Not everything under control if someone pushes you? Thats the game......
It's not what the game used to be though. Back when I played instagib actively, instagib was about positioning and accuracy, but now people can get away with shit position and shit accuracy if they spam hook and blaster as fast as humanly possible. Maybe people are into that these days and that's fine.. That is the way of open source games. It doesn't appeal to me and that's one reason why I quit instagib.

That's pretty much my sentiment. Also in minsta using blaster is essentially free. In vanilla you pay the opportunity cost of having to switch to the blaster - but in minsta you can just spam blaster with every regular shot without thinking about it.

Yo Smilecythe "instagib was about positioning and accuracy"  maybe youre right,but.... youre the best player in xon i ever have seen,so is it really important to take that blasterpush away? Thats what i mean with " making the game how the superplayers want it". We dont have to like what the opponent do and a player like you can handle it. Why cutting the chances of weaker players?  I like to have a chance to kick a player out of the corner or a hidden place.

How about this idea: disable the blaster push just for the highest league. BAM, both happy.
[Image: 110074.png]

The poll will be closed at March 10th 23:59 UTC.

(03-05-2019, 05:15 PM)Defiant Wrote: Yo Smilecythe "instagib was about positioning and accuracy"  maybe youre right,but.... youre the best player in xon i ever have seen,so is it really important to take that blasterpush away? Thats what i mean with " making the game how the superplayers want it". We dont have to like what the opponent do and a player like you can handle it. Why cutting the chances of weaker players?
Blasterpush doesn't give weaker players chances, it simply trivializes their need to get better at accuracy and positioning. Also, stronger players can just as easily spam the blasterpush. It doesn't even the playfield. Lastly, I didn't ask for the blasterpush to go away. All I did was literally write ":/" and couple hours after there's a poll. If you want things fair, you should stick around to see what majority votes.

(03-05-2019, 05:15 PM)Defiant Wrote: Yo Smilecythe "instagib was about positioning and accuracy"  maybe youre right,but.... youre the best player in xon i ever have seen,so is it really important to take that blasterpush away? Thats what i mean with " making the game how the superplayers want it". We dont have to like what the opponent do and a player like you can handle it. Why cutting the chances of weaker players?  I like to have a chance to kick a player out of the corner or a hidden place.

If you want to rekt opponents by indirect fire you should really try vanilla. If you dislike health/armor pickups you can try Clan Arena, there are no items there and you have all weapons.

Why should i? Until now instagib has the blasterpush. Why do i have to try vanilla and others...i play instagib. Its not an option for me to play other things.
...but its only my opinion.And i can have a own opinion.Do whatever you want. What says the vote?

(03-06-2019, 06:15 PM)Defiant Wrote: Why should i? Until now instagib has the blasterpush. Why do i have to try vanilla and others...i play instagib. Its not an option for me to play other things.
...but its only my opinion.And i can have a own opinion.Do whatever you want. What says the vote?

I think you misread me a bit. I'm not saying that you shouldn't play insta, or that guys who like the blaster push aren't welcome in the tournament. I'm just saying that if you like this particular feature you may check an other game mode which has similar features to the one you like. Also playing multiple game modes makes you a better player overall. The choice is up to you of course, I never said what you SHOULD do, just what you might like.

Poll is closed. Blaster push will be disabled for the cup.

Not to confuse the message, but since the purpose of this thread is fulfilled, I can ask the question -- isn't blaster pushing part of the standard technique? It's used to push others off the track, into the space, away from mega health, away from the flag, and to push flags into the space, etc. Am I misunderstanding the poll?

(03-13-2019, 12:51 AM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: Not to confuse the message, but since the purpose of this thread is fulfilled, I can ask the question -- isn't blaster pushing part of the standard technique? It's used to push others off the track, into the space, away from mega health, away from the flag, and to push flags into the space, etc. Am I misunderstanding the poll?

No doubt about vanilla blaster, but the original instagib blaster could only be used to push yourself. Only relatively recently it was modified to push other players too. Many instagib veterans didn't like that change, but newer players liked it. Hence the discussion. Smile

i literally have no clue how to use quake net or any irc channel
does anyone know were i can find a good resource or just tell me??
love to take part.
not sure if i am good enough to really be enjoyable to spec though.

(03-13-2019, 06:19 AM)Snowball Wrote: i literally have no clue how to use quake net or any irc channel
does anyone know were i can find a good resource or just tell me??
love to take part.
not sure if i am good enough to really be enjoyable to spec though.

just click the link in It's me reply above and you should be fine.

ggs. Congrats to sinety the champion.
[Image: xQ6jQhI.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Xonotic Defrag World Championship 2022 Mirio 10 5,976 30 minutes ago
Last Post: mariahcarey
  Xonotic Defrag World Championship 2023 Mirio 10 3,361 11-14-2023, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  Weekly FFA Insta+Hook ? Dynamx_FPS 2 427 10-18-2023, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Dynamx_FPS
  Xonotic January 2022 Duel Championship SpiKe 15 7,203 02-02-2022, 03:06 AM
Last Post: hotdog
  MAP POLL for the Xonotic January 2022 Duel Championship SpiKe 0 2,138 12-13-2021, 03:45 PM
Last Post: SpiKe
  Xonotic Defrag World Championship 2021 Mirio 7 4,641 11-15-2021, 11:58 AM
  Xonotic Defrag World Championship 2020 Mirio 17 9,820 11-26-2020, 09:52 AM
Lightbulb XQC #95 (2v2 CTF/Insta+Hook) InstaJack 15 8,187 04-29-2020, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Sl@va
  XQC #94. League-based vanilla TDM SEEK-fried 14 6,850 03-15-2020, 11:21 AM
Last Post: morosophos
  Xonotic Defrag World Championship 2019 Mirio 10 7,250 12-04-2019, 04:19 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy